U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2009, 11:43 AM
 
284 posts, read 521,007 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Nice vocabulary lesson. Now how does Princeton benefit the state of New Jersey and its residents?
Maybe you did not read the whole post. Perhaps paraphrasing it will help:

NJ is in the top echelon of states in terms of cultural diversity and educational oppurtunities. It has different opportunities available that encompass all levels of society. This is just one example of what makes the Garden State a unique and desirable place to live; that is, so many different types existing in a relatively civilized manner within 8,721 square miles. So Princeton is just as beneficial for the state as is Middlessex County College.

What say you, VeradoDan?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2009, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Ocean County
1,057 posts, read 1,787,217 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
Maybe you did not read the whole post. Perhaps paraphrasing it will help:

NJ is in the top echelon of states in terms of cultural diversity and educational oppurtunities. It has different opportunities available that encompass all levels of society. This is just one example of what makes the Garden State a unique and desirable place to live; that is, so many different types existing in a relatively civilized manner within 8,721 square miles. So Princeton is just as beneficial for the state as is Middlessex County College.

What say you, VeradoDan?
Actually, I say that our state university system stinks. Rutgers is a bloated institution that does everything it can to attract students from out of state, rather than putting our state's own students first. Even colleges like Stockton, Montclair, etc. are far more expensive than many other state's universities, and unless you're an ethnic minority or are dirt poor, they don't much care to give a break on the price.

Compare our system to the system in states like California, Florida and Tennessee and you'll see what I mean. Instead of a state university that a gaggle of liberal academics can brag about, I'd rather have a system that provides a quality collegiate education at a low price to the students of our state. Apparently, that's too much to ask for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 08:40 PM
 
284 posts, read 521,007 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Actually, I say that our state university system stinks. Rutgers is a bloated institution that does everything it can to attract students from out of state, rather than putting our state's own students first. Even colleges like Stockton, Montclair, etc. are far more expensive than many other state's universities, and unless you're an ethnic minority or are dirt poor, they don't much care to give a break on the price.

Compare our system to the system in states like California, Florida and Tennessee and you'll see what I mean. Instead of a state university that a gaggle of liberal academics can brag about, I'd rather have a system that provides a quality collegiate education at a low price to the students of our state. Apparently, that's too much to ask for.
I don't know what you base your opinions on, but it is clear that you don't base them on facts. You stated that Rutgers does everything it can to attract out-of-state students and put them before residents, yet 90.3% of undergraduates last year were New Jersey residents.

Then you say that the state schools in NJ are far more expensive than state universities in California, Florida, and Tennessee. As you can see from the numbers below this was not a true statement either. Rutgers is even comparable to them. The following numbers are tuition rates for in state residents:

Rutgers..........$8,812
Montclair........$7,709
UCLA.............$7,250
U of Tenn.......$5,620
Florida State...$3,208
Hardly "far more expensive," especially when you consider the fact that everything costs a little more in Jersey.

Concerning your statements about minorities and the poor: I think it is a wonderful thing that minorities and the economically disadvantaged get things like Pell grants and all kinds of financial aid. Anyway, this is hardly unique to NJ.

When you use hyperbole to try and prove a point it usually backfires, VeradoDan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 AM
 
1,907 posts, read 3,516,983 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Even though I am not a fan of Princeton, its effect on Central Jersey and the Princeton corridor, economically speaking, is positive.

There are so many towns down there that have that fake 08540 zip code that let's them write Princeton on their address and attracts all those pharma companies and jobs.
The epicenter of big pharma in the mid-Atlantic region runs between New Brunswick and Philadelphia, most likely due to the large pool of talent in the region. The fact that Princeton is in the middle is perhaps irrelevant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 AM
 
1,235 posts, read 3,803,191 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The epicenter of big pharma in the mid-Atlantic region runs between New Brunswick and Philadelphia, most likely due to the large pool of talent in the region. The fact that Princeton is in the middle is perhaps irrelevant.
It's not irrelevant that companies set up shop in that area with the Princeton zip codes. It's also not irrelevant that at least five towns around there use a Princeton zip code to attract those jobs.

What big pharma is below Princeton by the way in NJ, between there and Philly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 AM
 
1,235 posts, read 3,803,191 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
Ride down Route 1 after South Brunswick and just about every office complex has the word Princeton attached to it somehow. Princeton University is the reason why that corridor exists and commands the rents it does. A sector of a major industry was created in that area under the auspices and prestige of Princeton University.
Of course. That area owes much to Princeton.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 09:09 AM
 
1,907 posts, read 3,516,983 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
What big pharma is below Princeton by the way in NJ, between there and Philly?
GlaxoSmithKline, Rohm and Haas, Centocor, Teva, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 01:17 PM
 
284 posts, read 521,007 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Of course. That area owes much to Princeton.
Exactly... The reason why that area is perceived, and is in the elite of it's sort, especially in terms of research and development companies, is because it is associated with an ivy-league university. To suggest that it is only a coincidence that Princeton University is nearby is ludicrous.
Because if it is just coincidence that Princeton is nearby why are all of those companies and buildings using the word "Princeton" in thier names instead of the official names of their respective municipalities?
Why not the South Brunswick office park? Or, Plainsboro-Forrestal Village?
Or, the Trenton Research Group?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 AM
 
71 posts, read 294,845 times
Reputation: 42
Montclair State ranked higher than Rutgers New Brunswick? I find that hard to believe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:56 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top