Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Most people that tell you Jersey isn't bad haven't really been outside of Jersey anyway. That's the honest truth, for real. So everything that they consider normal over here is actually weird in other states. For example, pumping your own gas. There's so much BS that goes on in Jersey that I can see why people from other states hate on us.

Jersey really doesn't have anything to begin with and worst yet, everything's spread out. SMH. It's ridiculous. They say you need money to live in NYC, you most definitely need money to live in Jersey. Living in NYC is expensive but living in Jersey to me is way worse. The job market is BAD.
as opposed to WHERE??? that statement reeks of you not having been out of jersey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 04:01 PM

53 posts, read 108,986 times
I will admit that I have never lived in Jersey, or spent a considerable amount of time there.

But the whole reason why the state is relevant is because of its proximity to NYC and Philadelphia. I have a habit of judging a state by its cities, because I'm too young to settle down in the suburbs yet. That being said, look at New Jersey's cities: Newark, Camden, Trenton, Jersey City. None of them are wonderful metropolitan areas. The only reason why people would specifically seek out New Jersey is probably because of the shore, which is a pretty cool area.

I'm sure the 'burbs are nice, but there are a lot of nice suburbs in this country.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:10 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Half of the people I meet in my area are transplants. Plenty of people live away at school for 2,4,6 years. Others work out of state for a time and move back. I see nothing wrong with someone who was born in NJ and likes it enough to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Most people that tell you Jersey isn't bad haven't really been outside of Jersey anyway. That's the honest truth, for real. So everything that they consider normal over here is actually weird in other states. For example, pumping your own gas. There's so much BS that goes on in Jersey that I can see why people from other states hate on us.

Jersey really doesn't have anything to begin with and worst yet, everything's spread out. SMH. It's ridiculous. They say you need money to live in NYC, you most definitely need money to live in Jersey. Living in NYC is expensive but living in Jersey to me is way worse. The job market is BAD.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:35 PM

26 posts, read 94,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atf487 View Post
I will admit that I have never lived in Jersey, or spent a considerable amount of time there.

But the whole reason why the state is relevant is because of its proximity to NYC and Philadelphia. I have a habit of judging a state by its cities, because I'm too young to settle down in the suburbs yet. That being said, look at New Jersey's cities: Newark, Camden, Trenton, Jersey City. None of them are wonderful metropolitan areas. The only reason why people would specifically seek out New Jersey is probably because of the shore, which is a pretty cool area.

I'm sure the 'burbs are nice, but there are a lot of nice suburbs in this country.
I feel this was about CT which to me is a very bland state.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 PM

542 posts, read 991,801 times
Personally I think NJ is a great state! My best friend for all time(RIP) was from there and every time I visited with him the people were friendly, but somewhat arrogant towards me for being from VA. I always picked on him and another friend I have from NJ just for the reactions they would give defending their state. I thought it was hilarious and never meant any harm. Every state has its fair share of good and bad. NJ is no different.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:45 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,152 times
This is completely inaccurate, although I suppose you know that considering that you freely admit you have "never lived in Jersey or spent a considerable amount of time there".

Very few people choose to live in Jersey because of the shore. It's a nice thing to have, but it's not why people live here. It's like saying people choose to live in NYC because of the Empire State Building. People live here because they can commute to NYC, afford ten times the house for what they would pay in NYC, enjoy a quiet, safe community with good schools where they can feel good about raising children, etc. Obviously not for everyone and certainly not for me when I was young. But you're not young forever and at some point it just makes sense to move out of NYC. I just wish people would embrace NJ as an option through then mock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf487 View Post

Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Drive out 80 and when you cross the bridge you see a sign that says: "Welcome to Pennsylvania, Middle America starts here".
fixed

Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,196 times
I think there is a big difference between NJ now and NJ twenty years ago.

Back in the day, NJ got a bad rap (in my opinion) and was a semi rural, nice place to raise kids, etc... I think everyone refered to NJ as the portion of the NJ turnpike around Newark Airport. In reality it had a LOT to offer in proximity to NYC.

Today? It is definitely going downhill. Absurd taxes. Getting more and more developed/ crowded. Traffic on WEEKENDS on Rt 22, Rt 23, Rt 35, etc... You face bumper to bumper when running a Sat. errand in these areas. It is terrible.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 PM

229 posts, read 923,460 times
I love NJ. I have lived in NY, NJ, FL, MD, VA, PA for varying lengths of time. NJ is my favorite and I always end up coming home.

NJ has AC, the shore, skiing, camping, proximity to NYC and shopping. I really do not know of another state that offers all this or anything comparable. CA is close, but it is massive compared to us, and even though you have the beach and the mountains in one state, they are hundreds of miles apart.

NJ has great seasons. Summer is hot, winter is cold and Fall and Spring are pretty. We get snow, beach weather and fall leaves.

Taxes are high, but so are incomes.

Corrupt politicians? Nature of the beast. 99% suck.

Bad areas, yep, just like every other state, even the states you might think innocuous, like midwestern or plains states.

I <3 NJ

Old 08-25-2009, 01:00 AM

593 posts, read 1,660,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
as opposed to WHERE??? that statement reeks of you not having been out of jersey!
Sorry but you can't convince me otherwise. Even North Carolina got more places to go than Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey