Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Working parents in Edison, N.J., can take advantage of the township's expansive after-school programs, which expose youngsters to a host of activities, including magic, piano, cooking, and arts and crafts. More than 30 area parks have facilities for tennis, basketball, soccer, and other sports. At the same time, this community of about 100,000 also offers organized youth leagues for everything from softball to lacrosse.
No offense to Edison, but is it really one of the top 10 places in the country to raise children????

Afterschool programs? Organized sports leagues? Parks? So what?

What am I missing here?

America's 10 Best Places to Grow Up - Yahoo! Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
Doesn't pretty much every town have this stuff? I know my town does, as well as all of the other surrounding towns. Edison is nice because it's centrally located, but I'm not sure what that has to do, specifically, with growing up there.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Doesn't pretty much every town have this stuff? I know my town does, as well as all of the other surrounding towns. Edison is nice because it's centrally located, but I'm not sure what that has to do, specifically, with growing up there.
Seriously! I mean I know magic shows are cool, but come on. The author must know someone from there or something.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:51 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
We picked Edison because it was centrally located to NYC, All major highways (I travel alot for work), and still a nice suburban town with tons of shopping, restaurants, etc nearby. Plus, we got a hell of alot more for our money than being in a "northern" town. Once we moved here I was surprised to see it included in the list. They are most likely speaking of "North Edison" because it really is a wonderful little slice of heaven but its VERY expensive (IMO anyway).

Keep in mind, its at the BOTTOM of the list and has the least amount said about it.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
That's why these "Best of" surveys are so laughable- there's nothing special about the towns they select, and then in the next year's survey, last year's winner is nowhere to be found in the rankings. How can a place go from be "Number 1 Whatever" to "Nowhere to be Found" in a year? It's like when Moorestown made #1 in the Best Places to Live list a few years back- there's nothing especially spectacular about Moorestown to land it there in the first place, and it's never come anywhere close to the top of the list since (hasn't even made the list most years since).

Old 08-21-2009, 05:01 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
We picked Edison because it was centrally located to NYC, All major highways (I travel alot for work), and still a nice suburban town with tons of shopping, restaurants, etc nearby. Plus, we got a hell of alot more for our money than being in a "northern" town. Once we moved here I was surprised to see it included in the list. They are most likely speaking of "North Edison" because it really is a wonderful little slice of heaven but its VERY expensive (IMO anyway).

Keep in mind, its at the BOTTOM of the list and has the least amount said about it.

guaranteed you can get more for your money in my "northern" town than you can in "your town", neener neener, lol.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:55 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That's why these "Best of" surveys are so laughable- there's nothing special about the towns they select, and then in the next year's survey, last year's winner is nowhere to be found in the rankings. How can a place go from be "Number 1 Whatever" to "Nowhere to be Found" in a year? It's like when Moorestown made #1 in the Best Places to Live list a few years back- there's nothing especially spectacular about Moorestown to land it there in the first place, and it's never come anywhere close to the top of the list since (hasn't even made the list most years since).
Exactly,
Last year, Franklin Twp #5 Best place to live in USA. This year Warren Twp #6. Is there anybody in their right mind who would rather live in Franklin than Warren? I didn't think so.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
this is what always baffled me! eventually you're going to run out of towns to put in these lists, and then what have you accomplished, LOL?

ETA - I think what baffles me more is not the "nowhere to be found", but to actually drop 70-80 places, LOL (those few towns that make it more than 1 yr in a row).

Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
It's actually funny, because I've written some of these articles for newspapers here in NJ - not on real estate, but Shore guides, reviews, "best ofs," etc., and normally I just write about the restaurants that have good local reputations and ones I personally enjoy. Of course, you have to pick new locations if you are hired to write the same story the next year.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:49 AM

312 posts, read 1,163,725 times
In defense of Edison, particularly North Edison it has good school systems, is very quiet, has close proximity to downtown Metuchen, is centrally located and has close access to many major highways, is served by 3 NJ transit train stations (metropark, metuchen, and edison), you get more for your money than you would get in towns like westfield, summit, etc but without the snob factor, and it is multicultural. I may be biased as we moved to North Edison last year but for commuters who work in Manhattan it is a great place to raise a family. NJ transit has express trains direct into Manhattan every 10 minutes. My deciding factor was the fact that I have many friends who grew up in North Edison and they are all the nicest and most down to earth people. These rankings are silly but North Edison I believe doesn't get the respect it deserves so its nice to see that some people agree with me.

The only negative of North Edison for me is that there is no damn Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

Last edited by artDDS; 08-22-2009 at 04:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey