Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,910,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Definitely a good deal!

I'm outside of Clearwater. In St. Petersburg.
Good deal, indeed. I went to college in Tampa and loved it. Moved back to NJ and over the past few years have seen firsthand how difficult a state this is to make a life for yourself in. I'm hoping to move back to FL soon (hopefully the Tampa-St. Pete-Clearwater area) for good. I just wish I took that high-paying job at MacDill AFB a few years back!

I'm one of the lucky ones in NJ as my family owned two houses locally. Now, I simply pay the bills at one of them and live here rent/mortgage free. Without that luxury, it'd be a real pain in the arse to live here financially. Would certainly cut down on the ol' beer money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,298,473 times
Quote:
And the average salary for someone in my city, that isn't an office or degree-required field is generally less than 8.50. Try living on that. I don't live near Miami. If I did, I'd pay more for my stuff...because...well...I'd be making more...but it still would be hard to live, like most places.

).
If you're in a non-office, non-degree-required field, what makes you think that you're going to make much more than $8.50/hour in NJ? OK, maybe you'll break $10, or get really lucky and make $12, but without a job that requires some unique skills or a degree, you're still going to be scrounging for money just like you are in FL, or possibly worse.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,342,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If you're in a non-office, non-degree-required field, what makes you think that you're going to make much more than $8.50/hour in NJ? OK, maybe you'll break $10, or get really lucky and make $12, but without a job that requires some unique skills or a degree, you're still going to be scrounging for money just like you are in FL, or possibly worse.
Which is why I said it would be hard, like most places.

The OP is making FL sound like a paradise, my point was that it isn't entirely and/or always...and that applies to ANYWHERE.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 AM

835 posts, read 1,176,090 times
Quote:
My mom wants out of FL, too...for some of the same reasons I do. She had thought about TN, but someone (I guess he was from there) said it was just as humid as FL in summer .
Atlanta? South Carolina? North Carolina? Virginia?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 AM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
Atlanta? South Carolina? North Carolina? Virginia?
She doesn't want excessive cold/snow, which is why she (and brought me along) left Michigan . She's originally from GA...so I've suggested going back a few times to her, she doesn't grab at the idea. She had interest in NC, though.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
She doesn't want excessive cold/snow, which is why she (and brought me along) left Michigan . She's originally from GA...so I've suggested going back a few times to her, she doesn't grab at the idea. She had interest in NC, though.

the home prices in NC have spiked and I fear that place will be the next jersey in the coming 20 years but I guess you can still get in on the ground floor now. I personally couldn't stand the heat in FL, its to humid and the rains/thunderstorms are to wicked

Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 AM
EB2

Quote:
the home prices in NC have spiked and I fear that place will be the next jersey in the coming 20 years but I guess you can still get in on the ground floor now. I personally couldn't stand the heat in FL, its to humid and the rains/thunderstorms are to wicked
Yeah, I predicted that would happen. My city/county is doing the spike on/off, as well. Oh well. Maybe in time, with the economy everything will sort itself out the best (hah) it can...

yep, those are two of my biggest reasons (with a few others) of wanting to get out of FL. I miss living in a place with seasons. I need fall and winter. Give me leaves that change color/fall, and snow (that actually sticks at times), and I'm pretty happy.

Where do you want to go?

Last edited by EB2; 08-26-2009 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: didn't proof read

Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I predicted that would happen. My city/county is doing the spike on/off, as well. Oh well. Maybe in time, with the economy everything will sort itself out the best (hah) it can...

yep, those are two of my biggest reasons (with a few others) of wanting to get out of FL. I miss living a place with seasons. I need fall and winter. Give me leaves that change color/fall, and snow (that actually sticks at times), and I'm pretty happy.

Where do you want to go?
Don't know for sure yet, I just bought a condo/townhome in downtown newark as a starter home that we can rent out to students since it is surrounded by universities (NJIT,Rutgers,UMDNJ and Essex Comm College) if and when we decide to move out. Home prices need to fall a lot more before we ever consider going anywhere else just yet though.

I thought a government job might be safe but maryland looks like its going through a crisis as well http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ann...aryland_9.html and homes are hyperinflated there as well with 400k for a townhome in rockville,md. Basicalyl any town near the red line is sky high as far as real estate goes and rent.

Last edited by block911; 08-26-2009 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM

744 posts, read 1,403,274 times
Quote:
Average studio condo is 500k
But you don't have to live in New York City in order to work in New York City.

But yes NJ is much more expensive than FL, the fact that people still live in NJ and haven't all moved to FL is reasonable evidence that NJ has something worth paying that premium.

Personally I'd pick CO over both of em...

Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
But you don't have to live in New York City in order to work in New York City.

But yes NJ is much more expensive than FL, the fact that people still live in NJ and haven't all moved to FL is reasonable evidence that NJ has something worth paying that premium.

Personally I'd pick CO over both of em...
So where? Hoboken? Jersey City or the overpriced homes in NJ which is what this thread is about? Or a houseboat in the water? or RV on the side of the road? Van down by the river? Any town near trains that go into the city are sky high as well like secaucus, new brunswick, princeton Juntion, edison, metuchen (400k for a townhome with no garage!) and with it comes high property taxes so see in the end the math does not work out. Unless you want to illegally live in a single family home with 2-3 families sharing the bills. Sure you can live in PA but then you can enjoy a nice 2 hour commute in traffic with expensive gas and tolls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey