Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have about $1k as a firm budget. I want to build a wood frame shed with a shingle roof no bigger than 10x10. I dont want a metal or plastic prefab. Yes it would be nice to have a mini garage with windows and maybe a loft but thats just not feasable at the present time. My garage is bursting at the seams and I NEED mroe space.

My town says I can have up to a 10x10 with no permit as long as it does not have a "foundation", electric, or plumbing.

If anyone has done this and has any insight, I would appreciate any and all help.

1) I assume I will have to do all the work myself to stay in budget.
2) Would it be more cost effective buy a DIY kit or ust buy lumber and build from a plan?
3) Anyone have experience following any of the free plans on the web or buying plans off ebay?
4) I have put new roofs on houses, I have build many dog houses, I have put up sheetrock, but I dont have any "construction experience". I do have just about all the power/air tools I might need. About how long could I expect this to take to build? I will be doing it on my own with little to no help from my wife.
5) Should I scrap the idea until I can get a bigger budget hopefully next year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 04:03 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I bought a kit from HD but I built my own two layer floor to support the yard tractor. ,It's been up for about 20 years and still in good shape. I forgot the cost but it was a lot less than $1.000

Old 08-26-2009, 04:05 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Ok, so I have about $1k as a firm budget. I want to build a wood frame shed with a shingle roof no bigger than 10x10. I dont want a metal or plastic prefab. Yes it would be nice to have a mini garage with windows and maybe a loft but thats just not feasable at the present time. My garage is bursting at the seams and I NEED mroe space.

My town says I can have up to a 10x10 with no permit as long as it does not have a "foundation", electric, or plumbing.

If anyone has done this and has any insight, I would appreciate any and all help.

1) I assume I will have to do all the work myself to stay in budget.
2) Would it be more cost effective buy a DIY kit or ust buy lumber and build from a plan?
3) Anyone have experience following any of the free plans on the web or buying plans off ebay?
4) I have put new roofs on houses, I have build many dog houses, I have put up sheetrock, but I dont have any "construction experience". I do have just about all the power/air tools I might need. About how long could I expect this to take to build? I will be doing it on my own with little to no help from my wife.
Try Lowes, they sell kits for decent quality wood sheds. I just bought an 8 x 8 shed for 1,250 plus tax - Amish build quality with vinyl siding. Includes build and delivery. Make sure you get pressure treated floor and skids.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
No. 5

I had a wooden shed built by a builder that was contracted with Everlast Sheds. It was primed and I had to paint it.

I paid less than $2,000 for an 8 x 12 shed with shingled roof, double door with piano hinges, 2 8" x 16" vents, 2 8' x 2' work benches, 1 8' x 2' loft, treated flooring, one window, and an extra foot high.

The wall studs are not every 16" on center, but this isn't a problem for me.

The shed was built in one day. It took me longer to paint it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post

Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
This guys sheds are pretty reasonable, but not sure of quality. 10x10 A Frame for $1600 delivered.

A-Frame Sheds Sale (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/1338722046.html - broken link)

Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 PM

78 posts, read 330,478 times
this is my first time on the forum but I completeda shed last year. suggestions; Thebest book I found was" build it like a pro" cost about $20, make sure you use 3/4 inch exterior tongue and grooved ply for the floor, make sure you are square, and last brace it well with cross ties before you put on the roof

Old 08-26-2009, 08:56 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,848 times
I framed mine up over concrete footings and framed out the floor with 2x6's I could probably drive a car in the dam thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey