U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: NJ
14 posts, read 35,952 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

We are going to see houses on these towns, I am not familiar with the area, however I have drive by metuchen and I liked it.

Because I am limited on my budget I am opening my options to other towns that I don't know much, but still on middlesex county and/or somerset county.

I am not looking for blue ribbon schools, I am realistic with my budget, I just want a tranquil and safe area, with fair school system.


Does anyone know how is it by Chestnut st and Raritan ave on Middlesex?

Also by Fairfield ave and Bound Brook rd on Middlesex?

Or Metuchen near Menlo Park Mall and 1? This doesn't sound quiet

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 AM
 
12 posts, read 46,346 times
Reputation: 17
Metuchen is wonderful with its charming downtown and direct train to NYC. We just bought a house and I highly recommend the town! You can get capes in the low to mid $300k range and 2 BR older condos in Jefferson Park for about $250k (and rare but sometimes available 3 br. condos for $275k). If budget is an issue, Edison, the town surrounding Metuchen is more affordable and has a larger variety of houses. North Edison school is better than South Edison schools.

The area near Menlo Mall is called Menlo Terrace. I do not recommend it as traffic is terrible and it's very noisy. I am really surprised that it is even considered Metuchen...I've always thought that it's part of Edison.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 01:28 PM
 
Location: North Brunswick
877 posts, read 2,643,645 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodee View Post
Metuchen is wonderful with its charming downtown and direct train to NYC. We just bought a house and I highly recommend the town! You can get capes in the low to mid $300k range and 2 BR older condos in Jefferson Park for about $250k (and rare but sometimes available 3 br. condos for $275k). If budget is an issue, Edison, the town surrounding Metuchen is more affordable and has a larger variety of houses. North Edison school is better than South Edison schools.

The area near Menlo Mall is called Menlo Terrace. I do not recommend it as traffic is terrible and it's very noisy. I am really surprised that it is even considered Metuchen...I've always thought that it's part of Edison.
Menlo Park Terrace is actually part of Woodbridge. It just has Metuchen zip code 08840. From what I see it looks like a nice little area, but that means getting around Ford Ave and Rt 1.

Rt 1 has improved greatly though over the last two years on the other hand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Piscataway
279 posts, read 1,007,343 times
Reputation: 91
+1 on Menlo Park Terrace being Woodbridge with Metuchen zip code. Middlesex has a small town, blue collar feel. Although, to compare Metuchen to Middlesex is apples to oranges. One big factor will be your price range...that will determine what you want vs. what you can afford within Metuchen. My opinion is Metuchen > Middlesex.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 PM
 
Location: North Brunswick
877 posts, read 2,643,645 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmgvr4 View Post
+1 on Menlo Park Terrace being Woodbridge with Metuchen zip code. Middlesex has a small town, blue collar feel. Although, to compare Metuchen to Middlesex is apples to oranges. One big factor will be your price range...that will determine what you want vs. what you can afford within Metuchen. My opinion is Metuchen > Middlesex.
Yeah Metuchen really doesn't compare to Middlesex Boro. The boro has some nice areas, but I agree with dsmgvr4 it is a blue collar town and very insular to say the least.

Metuchen is more middle to upper middle class IMO. In the Boro you'll have less traffic though. Aside from the traffic I've never heard anyone who lives in Woodbridge/Edison/Metuchen area complain about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM
 
129 posts, read 355,213 times
Reputation: 50
Middlesex Boro is TOTALLY fine. I lived there for a short time when my hubby first got a job in the school district. Yeah, it's blue collar, but totally small town feel. Metuchen is more upscale, but if money is an issue, you'll do fine in Middlesex.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM
 
Location: North Brunswick
877 posts, read 2,643,645 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismaya View Post
Middlesex Boro is TOTALLY fine. I lived there for a short time when my hubby first got a job in the school district. Yeah, it's blue collar, but totally small town feel. Metuchen is more upscale, but if money is an issue, you'll do fine in Middlesex.
Schools in the boro are supposed to be very good too from what I hear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
60 posts, read 146,075 times
Reputation: 27
My grandmother lives in Metuchen (I guess technically Menlo Park), RIGHT on the southbound side of Rte 1 at the Ford Ave intersection (EVERYONE knows that intersection). It's so close to Menlo Park mall, but she lives in an extremely quiet neighborhood. It's made up mostly of older couples (who have lived there since the houses were built) and some families, but very safe and quiet. I do not know how much those houses go for, but I imagine they cannot be too much.

Hers is 3 bedrooms, 1 bath. Somewhat small, but good size depending on your family size and realistic expectations for what you will get for the money anywhere in NJ.

Metuchen is indeed a safe town, and like someone else said, so convenient to pretty much everything (nj transit, rte 1, turnpike, 287, etc). Route 1 will drive you nuts at times, but they are doing a lot to expand it, and my only gripes are really the Ford Ave intersection (which can easily be detoured by taking the u turns near the mall and going the back way).

I do not know too much about Middlesex borough, but I know that Bound Brook isn't the GREATEST town (more working class like someone else mentioned)... and I believe the schools aren't blue ribbon as you call it. I am not sure what school Middlesex students go to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM
 
19 posts, read 69,960 times
Reputation: 13
I just moved to Metuchen and I couldn't be happier with my decision. All of Metuchen is extremely safe, and the family-friendly feel of the town is evident much more so than larger towns like Edison or Woodbridge. It is truly a community.

I have been reading some posts that describe Metuchen as having a bad traffic situation. I have not found this to be the case at all. While once in a while you'll be caught on the wrong road at the wrong time of day, going in the wrong direction, most times, traffic flows just fine. In exchange for some very tolerable traffic sometimes, you have one of the best areas to shop and dine. Whether it's proximity to NYC, all major highways, Menlo Park Mall, Wegmans supermarket, beautiful Roosevelt Park, or quaint eateries downtown, Metuchen is at the center of everything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 03:13 PM
 
Location: North Brunswick
877 posts, read 2,643,645 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunj View Post
I just moved to Metuchen and I couldn't be happier with my decision. All of Metuchen is extremely safe, and the family-friendly feel of the town is evident much more so than larger towns like Edison or Woodbridge. It is truly a community.

I have been reading some posts that describe Metuchen as having a bad traffic situation. I have not found this to be the case at all. While once in a while you'll be caught on the wrong road at the wrong time of day, going in the wrong direction, most times, traffic flows just fine. In exchange for some very tolerable traffic sometimes, you have one of the best areas to shop and dine. Whether it's proximity to NYC, all major highways, Menlo Park Mall, Wegmans supermarket, beautiful Roosevelt Park, or quaint eateries downtown, Metuchen is at the center of everything.
LOL yeah, and 27 is closed partially now until the fall isn't it?

Like I've said, Metuchen is a beautiful area, I just can't stand the traffic there. If you haven't experienced it OK then. I just know everytime I'm in that area it gets nasty. Of all the congested areas in Northern Middlesex County - Edison/Woodbridge area - I would say Metuchen is the worst by far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top