Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 36,851 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, i have rented a basement in Jersey City. I paid a months security($800) and now im planning to leave next month. I just dont think my landlord is in mood to return my security. There was no lease and i think he rented the appt illegally coz ive heard that ur not allowed to rent basements in NJ. Moreover since he insists on paying the rent in cash i have a feeling its illegal renting. Is there nething if he just gulps down my security.

I did do some research on the web and found out that if a landlord illegally rents appt then to evict the tenant he needs to pay 6times the rent. Although i dont want 6 times money i just want my security. I just want to know if he doesnt return my money where can i complain and wat can i do??... Any response would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 07:10 PM

81 posts, read 317,511 times
if the basement meets code, it is not illegal to rent basements in NJ.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 PM

6 posts, read 36,851 times
but why would he insist on cash if its not illegal....

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM

63 posts, read 233,807 times
Prady, NJ laws favor the tennant over the landlord. It would take him 6 months to evict you at least, sometimes more. And, if he's renting to you illegally, you may be due extra compensation. Especially if your housing didn't have all it should have to get a CO (certificate of occupancy) which is mandatory in NJ when renting a place out.

Here's a link to file a complaint:

The Official Web Site for The State of New Jersey | Housing (http://www.state.nj.us/nj/consumer/housing/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM

633 posts, read 1,950,705 times
LSNJLAW - Tenants' Rights in New Jersey

Cut the appropriate info from here. (your rights)
make it part of his letter, Give him 1 month notice, you just cant leave. He has more to lose then you. Treat him the way you would want to be treated.
Renting should work for everyone.

Mike
(landlord)

Old 01-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Please give me a break, I hate this extra compensation crap. If you rented and it was sweet or a good deal, just get your money and move on.
Hey guys it is not easy being a landlord even for the 1-2 unit guys.
There are good and bad tenants and landlords.

BTW evictions can be done quickly. Why should it take 6 month. Do some people deserve more then others?

Next time get a lease it protects you and the landlord.

Mike

Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,002 times
Mike, you're right. An eviction can take just a few weeks. I've done many. Renters should act appropriately to maintain their rights. You'll get your security if you're entitled to it. You can file in small claim's court and you'll get double back if the landlord withheld your security for invalid reasons.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:54 PM

81 posts, read 317,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prady View Post
but why would he insist on cash if its not illegal....

if he didn't request a credit-check on you (or, if you weren't able to provide one), then he'd want cash to protect himself.

The mistake both of you made was not having a lease (or, if the rent was month-to-month, then you should've had a "rental agreement").

and, I agree with Mike -- if you were paying, let's say, $100 per month below the usual for the area, and were there 8 months, then you wouldn't be "losing" your security. you also don't mention whether or not you left the apt. in the same condition it was in when you got there, repairs would come out of your security.

brookdaleresident -- I don't know about an eviction taking as little as a few weeks... I guess it depends on the town. If it's a town with a backlog in court, or if the tenant had children in tow, an eviction can take as much as 9 months

Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,002 times
Children have nothing to do with it, at least not in essex county. I worked for a landlord for many years and evicted many people. After one month's rent wasn't paid, I was able to file. By the next month, the tenant was evicted. If a tenant gets an order to show cause, it can take longer. Non-payment of rent = eviction.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:14 PM

That may be an IRS question. People who receive tips don't account 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey