Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:44 PM

17 posts, read 82,433 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Saw a house (on the website only) that is gorgeous. And the basement is carpeted and finished. But under description, they said the house has TWO sump pumps. Is it a good or bad thing? We have not gone inside the house to look yet because we're not sure about the sump pumps.

Input?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 PM

377 posts, read 1,114,631 times
I think that is a good thing. It means there were extra measures taken so there is no water in basement.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
I say its 50/50. My parents installed a huge one in the basement because the basement constantly flooded. Then they were very dry for years and years. Eventually the pump died, there was a big rain storm, the sewers backed up and their street was turned into a small lake. They had about 4 feet of water in their basement by the time I got there the next morning with a new pump.

So, I doubt there would be a pump if they didnt need one. These guys have "2", IMO that would be a BIG red flag. Id always be scared every time it rained.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Better safe than sorry. I think having sump pumps is a good thing.

Ask the seller, if the basement ever had water in it (or if the basement flooded). Hopefully, the seller will be honest with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylychee View Post
Hi,

Saw a house (on the website only) that is gorgeous. And the basement is carpeted and finished. But under description, they said the house has TWO sump pumps. Is it a good or bad thing? We have not gone inside the house to look yet because we're not sure about the sump pumps.

Input?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,452 times
i have two sump pumps. an electric and a battery operated as a back up. i live in a flood zone so it's just extra insurance but there has never been a flood in my basement. at least in the last 30 years. i believe that fema has data on claims made if you live in a flood zone becaue all your flood insurance comes thru fema. correct me someone if i'm wrong...

Old 08-26-2009, 04:22 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Ask for the disclosure (hopefully it's accurate). They may need 2 if the floor isn't level. If the house isn't in a flood zone, I'd still consider it. There may be other issues to consider as well. It doestn't hurt to look. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 AM

46 posts, read 166,115 times
Check out the house anyway. Ask the seller if they've had any flooding, but don't make any decisions based on their word. Make sure you take a good whiff in the basement because they could be lying just to sell the house.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 AM

Thank you everyone for the input. It seems like 50% think it's good to have it and 50% thinks it's fishy. From the photos, the basement is completely finished and very pretty - carpeted and all. Why would someone finish the basement esp. with carpet if it floods? Or maybe I just don't know too much. I should still check it out like you all said and give it a good whiff.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
I would say check it out anyway, maybe it's the house of your dreams. But keep in mind that water is probably going to be a problem in this area. I mean unless your lookin at a huge house that has an enormous basement why install two pumps? One for piece of mind sure, but two? That sounds like some one got burned really bad in the past. I would ask the seller, but take everything they say with a grain of salt. THEN I would try to ask one of the neighbors, since they don't have a vested interest in you buying the house they maybe more willing to tell you how often the area floods, or how they remember that particular house flooding badly. We considered flood zone when we first started looking and then decided it wasn't worth the risk. It has rained SOOOO MUCH this year, I'd have an ulcer by now if I was worrying about every storm flooding my house.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 AM

The area we're looking at is Dumont. Is Dumont known for flooding or prone to flooding? It is in the White Beeches area in Dumont and the house is pristine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey