Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Yep and shoulder belts didn't show up until 1966 so anything earlier with lap belts only are prime targets for motivated cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 AM

572 posts, read 2,022,278 times
Was the cop who gave you a ticket suposed to just assume that you had the handicapped palcard in your car our in your bag or at home? If you park in the spot it needs to be visable.

I find it hard to believe that 6 people went to court and ALL of them had a legal right to park in the spot and "forgot" to properly display their proof of being disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Yes, New Jersey is that bad, there is no justice, just a money collecting machine.

I was ticketed in a mall parking lot because I had parked in a disabled person parking space and forgot to attach my placard to the rearview mirror. I went to court, as did 5 other couples, all with the same story. One person was in a wheel chair, 3 were using some kind of walking assistance device.

All of us were found guilty and had to pay the fine plus court costs, $380.00! The judge did not care that we or our spouses were disabled, nor that it was pretty obvious that the legislature didn't pass this law to punish people that were legitimately disabled.

So yes, they can fine you on private property.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
Was the cop who gave you a ticket suposed to just assume that you had the handicapped palcard in your car our in your bag or at home? If you park in the spot it needs to be visable.

I find it hard to believe that 6 people went to court and ALL of them had a legal right to park in the spot and "forgot" to properly display their proof of being disabled.
maybe their disability was more mental? too easy, sorry

Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Yep and shoulder belts didn't show up until 1966 so anything earlier with lap belts only are prime targets for motivated cops.

A vehicle is only required to have the safety-related equipment that was mandated as of the date of its manufacture. In a similar manner, an older vehicle is not necessarily held to the same emissions standards as a new vehicle. In other words, the statutes that pertain to safety-related equipment and emissions cannot be applied in an Ex Post Facto manner.

That being said, it is always possible for an overly ambitious/ill-informed cop to issue a bogus ticket to someone with an older car. However, these charges should be easily dismissed in court, or even in a pre-court conference with the Municipal Prosecutor.

Similarly, if the windshield tint on your car was legal when it came from the factory, it cannot be considered illegal at a later time. Yes, there could well be a hassle involved with having to go to court, but I refuse to believe that anyone with at least a few active brain cells couldn't successfully fight invalid tickets like this in court.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default Same area.......

Friend just got ticketed for dispalying wrong sticker... she had her mothers car but used her card. Even asked the cop as she got out of the car on crutches if it was ok. No problem, then while in the store she found a ticket when she came out. Had to go to court show all the stickers and they let her off. Was not an easy trip for her to go to court.

locals are getting out of control enforcing laws subjectively which amounts to institutuional prejudice for profit.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Yes, New Jersey is that bad, there is no justice, just a money collecting machine.

I was ticketed in a mall parking lot because I had parked in a disabled person parking space and forgot to attach my placard to the rearview mirror. I went to court, as did 5 other couples, all with the same story. One person was in a wheel chair, 3 were using some kind of walking assistance device.

All of us were found guilty and had to pay the fine plus court costs, $380.00! The judge did not care that we or our spouses were disabled, nor that it was pretty obvious that the legislature didn't pass this law to punish people that were legitimately disabled.

So yes, they can fine you on private property.
The judge is a cold hearted rat & politicians are turds with almonds in them.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Is manville, nj one of those towns where the public employees run the show ? The manville police dept & chief of police sound a lil on the "slow" side. Maybe they are kin to forest gump.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,117 times
Default Window Tint

Hi,
( Manville ) I was just pulled over for my truck windows which are tinted, i know its illegal...but i have to go to court now Aug 23rd 6pm, cant send in or pay online...Is this something new Manville is doing to make a few extra bucks off people with courts fees etc??? Any info would be great...Thanks Joe

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
NJSA does not allow ANY tint on the front windshield.

Quote:
This is on private property mind you where the pigs have no jurisdiction.
And yet your totally clueless. Commerical property owners can apply for and authorize the enforcement of title 39 on their property and certyain statutes are enforceable in any case on such property. Educate before speaking works wonders.

Quote:
Friend just got ticketed for dispalying wrong sticker... she had her mothers car but used her card.
Something doesn't make sense here. A Handicap placard is not linked to a specific license plate. How can it be noticed as the "wrong one"? Only the plates are vehicle specific. In fact ownership of a vehicle is not a requirement to obtain such a placeard. Her story sounds a bit odd.

Last edited by rscalzo; 08-06-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey