Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:52 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,603,014 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any good places to get good Fish n Chips in North West Jersey? Tons of Brits out here and they always ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:13 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,619,549 times
well a new place in Butler on Rte 23 North just opened I havent tried it cause I personally dont care for it. I know since you love in the booneys that might be too far. Whats wrong wiley didnt the fish sticks you made last night satisfy your taste buds? lol and why do you care about the Brits if they want to know they will ask! Have a nice nite Wiley and good luck in the storm .... he he .....talk ta ya tomorrow!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM

226 posts, read 859,497 times
Sorry I don't know for your area but in the town I live (Clinton in Hunterdon county) there is the best fresh fish store http://www.metroseafood.com/ which does fish and chips to beat many fish and chip shops in the UK, and I can say that without worry as I'm a Brit ) Honestly, it is really the best, freshest fish I have tasted in a long time and I highly recommend it.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:28 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,419 times
The old classics are in Kearney where there used to be a very large Scottish community. There are a couple of Fish and Chips stores there on Kearney Ave., the Argyle and the Thistle, with malt vinegar too.

The have some kind of cult status, but as a Scot, I can say that I found them a little disappointing as the batter was not thick and gluey enough and they don't serve proper chips but fries. There are genuine Scots working in the Argyle and they know about the chips problem but most of the customers are now Americans of Scottish descent who don't know any better.

For fish, there are some places in Point Pleasant I really like, mostly because the fish is so fresh. Same chips/fries problem though. I like 'em real, cut from potatoes and a bit soggy.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
Sorry I don't know for your area but in the town I live (Clinton in Hunterdon county) there is the best fresh fish store http://www.metroseafood.com/ which does fish and chips to beat many fish and chip shops in the UK, and I can say that without worry as I'm a Brit ) Honestly, it is really the best, freshest fish I have tasted in a long time and I highly recommend it.
Thanks : )) That's not too far - I head that way once in a while to play soccer...ok, watch now as I am retired : )) But it's usually when the Scots are here visiting so I'll definately give it a try. Thanks : ))

Old 02-21-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
well a new place in Butler on Rte 23 North just opened I havent tried it cause I personally dont care for it. I know since you love in the booneys that might be too far. Whats wrong wiley didnt the fish sticks you made last night satisfy your taste buds? lol and why do you care about the Brits if they want to know they will ask! Have a nice nite Wiley and good luck in the storm .... he he .....talk ta ya tomorrow!
Dont be dissin' my fishy shape fish sticks now!!! To an American, Mrs. Pauls and a bag of Oreda is Fish and Chips to us..lol

Old 02-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
The old classics are in Kearney where there used to be a very large Scottish community. There are a couple of Fish and Chips stores there on Kearney Ave., the Argyle and the Thistle, with malt vinegar too.

The have some kind of cult status, but as a Scot, I can say that I found them a little disappointing as the batter was not thick and gluey enough and they don't serve proper chips but fries. There are genuine Scots working in the Argyle and they know about the chips problem but most of the customers are now Americans of Scottish descent who don't know any better.

For fish, there are some places in Point Pleasant I really like, mostly because the fish is so fresh. Same chips/fries problem though. I like 'em real, cut from potatoes and a bit soggy.
I've asked the Scots if they wanted to go to Kearny a few times and their comment back to me was..."would you go to an Americanized area when visiting Scotland?" Not really..lol : )) You scots sure do love your chips...Fish & Chips...Egg & Chip...Chip Buttey...gross by the way : )) Everything is a buttey! lol : )) Ok, one more question fur ya (that's the extent of my accent)... Rangers or Celtic?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I've asked the Scots if they wanted to go to Kearny a few times and their comment back to me was..."would you go to an Americanized area when visiting Scotland?" Not really..lol : )) You scots sure do love your chips...Fish & Chips...Egg & Chip...Chip Buttey...gross by the way : )) Everything is a buttey! lol : )) Ok, one more question fur ya (that's the extent of my accent)... Rangers or Celtic?
I love chip butties. And in answer to your question, neither. I prefer rugby.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:00 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Does anyone know of any good places to get good Fish n Chips in North West Jersey? Tons of Brits out here and they always ask.
Out here??? LOL. I've been in Warren County for 12 years and I'm still trying to find good pizza.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:53 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,488,710 times
i have never seen a fish and chips place in all my years in NJ--can you believe it? the only one i have heard of is in NYC cause it was on the food network. it's called "a salt and battery"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey