Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,802 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to South Amboy but I know very little about the town. I currently rent in Linden but would like to buy. I am considering Union Twp, Rahway, Linden and now South Amboy. My price range is around $330,000 for a 3 br that is in walking distance to NYC transportation.

What do you all think of South Amboy? It is does not seem like a diverse area - I am black, 33 years old and plan to buy a place with my retired mother who does not drive but will take public transportation into NYC.

Thank you for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 05:32 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,695,644 times
While changing, South Amboy is an old Irish blue collar town.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:37 AM..

Old 04-29-2007, 07:20 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
How is it changing?

Old 04-29-2007, 08:17 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,695,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
How is it changing?
Starting to build up the area (Lighthouse Bay) and other areas with new housing, which will bring in people who normally wouldn't buy in South Amboy.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 AM

4 posts, read 23,616 times
South Amboy is fine. The train station is right off Broadway, easy to get to and ample parking. I live in the next town over, it's a very small town, a lot of bars and a few little stores in the center of town. The waterfront is nice with a few gazebos, and the houses that overlook the water are beautiful.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:59 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,786,156 times
I live in South Amboy...Quiete and friendly town...have 2 children and its a nice town for families. Unfortunatley I am moving and selling my house now.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,459,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaness View Post
I am considering moving to South Amboy but I know very little about the town. I currently rent in Linden but would like to buy. I am considering Union Twp, Rahway, Linden and now South Amboy. My price range is around $330,000 for a 3 br that is in walking distance to NYC transportation.

What do you all think of South Amboy? It is does not seem like a diverse area - I am black, 33 years old and plan to buy a place with my retired mother who does not drive but will take public transportation into NYC.

I will leave the south amboy question to the people that know
the area ,If you have any Questions on rahway i can help

Old 10-21-2007, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 38,993 times
My fiance is black and filipino and I am white and we did some research on Rahway and found the city to be 67%white 24%black and 9%other which is considered a good mix of diversity for a cultured city. The city is also under a major revitalization so you could make a nice profit on your home if you buy soon. And the city seems to have alot of culture. There are art galleries of various kinds and I have read that the schools always shine when it comes to art and theater. The newly renovated train station is very nice and surrounded with shops(some still being built).

Old 10-21-2007, 07:12 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,185 times
Quote:
It is does not seem like a diverse area
It isn't, but it is growing increasingly more so. It used to be lily white, but as time passes, I doubt that will be the case. As another poster said, the waterfront redevelopment has brought in a different type of resident--the urban professional, if you will. I like South Amboy a whole lot. Broadway has a bunch of cute restaurants, bakeries (Bake N More is just the best!), and stores, and the "renaissance" seems to be moving along nicely.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,459,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaness View Post

I know this is an old post but
let us know where you relocated to and how do you like it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey