U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 01:32 AM

10 posts, read 36,271 times

Advertisements

Someone recently asked me about Bogota, but I know very little. It seems charming from the very few times I've driven through. They were wondering how the commute is to Manhattan, whether it's family-oriented, schools, etc. As ever, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,640,771 times
Bogota has an excellent commute to Port Authority on the bus, tons of buses, express, you name it.

The town continues to change in terms of demographics. It used to be mostly Irish and Italian. Now it seems to be trending more Latino, although I don't know exactly what countries. (I'm not saying this is a bad thing, this is a neutral statement.) St. Joe's, which is the Catholic church in town, now has a Spanish Mass, which is another reflection of how the makeup has changed.

Most of the homes are older and on the small side, as would be the case in any old, inner suburb.

As for schools, here is a list of the public HS rankings by NJ Monthly. Bogota seems to be kind of in the middle of the pack

A list of the top high schools in New Jersey by rank-www.njmonthly.com

You can click through the NJ Department of Education report cards to get a feeling for the school performance.

New Jersey Department of Education

Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 AM

24,672 posts, read 17,902,464 times
I lived in Bogota for ten years. For the most part it was as charming as it looks driving through, particularly the area right around Main St. (Elm, Larch, River Rd.) with the big Victorian houses, old growth trees and lovely church (Bogart Memorial).
Even though it is close to the city, I always felt completely removed from the city while walking down those lovely tree-lined streets.

I loved being able to walk to the library, post office and the Chinese restaurant (China Dragon), which, it just so happens, was the best Chinese food I've ever experienced.
I also loved the easy commute to the city and to shopping in Teaneck (Cedar Lane, etc.), Hackensack (Target, Shop Rite) and of course Paramus, seeing the ice on the Hackensack River in the winter and seeing the groundhogs emerge in the spring in that pretty grassy area along River Road.
For a very small town, Bogota has a lot to offer - a racquet club, very nice parks, a quick ride or walk to the Ice House (indoor ice rink), one of the cutest city halls you'll ever see and lots of programs for kids and seniors. And, the all-volunteer Bogota First Aid Squad is the best

As Luckyshoes noted, there are several buses (local and to/from both terminals in NYC) as well as easy access to I-80 and the turnpike. I could often make it to/from mid-town in 20 minutes (GW bridge to/Lincoln tunnel from) during off-peak travel times. Similar travel time to Newark Liberty Airport, as long as it wasn't rush hour. The regular weekday bus commute probably takes about an hour. There is also train service from Hackensack, though I don't know anything about how long that takes, etc.

I do have to say that I didn't love the freight trains that pass through town every day and night on two different tracks, and I didn't love how long it took to drive through town every weekday morning and evening. Also didn't love the flooding down near Quik Chek practically every time it rained and being in the Teterboro flight path (noisy). And the town politics were (may still be) crazy.

Overall, though, it was a nice place to live.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,295,798 times
there was just an article in the Record approx. 2 weeks ago saying how nice and affordable it was, wish I still had it now......

Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,642,704 times
As long as you don't get in the way of the cartels, you should be fine.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
As long as you don't get in the way of the cartels, you should be fine.
Ouch.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,642,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Ouch.
It was a joke about the more well-known Bogota.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 AM

10 posts, read 36,271 times
Great, thank you everyone for your responses. I'll be seeing these folks today and I'll be showing them your responses. You guys are so very helpful--thanks again!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
It was a joke about the more well-known Bogota.
Oh gotcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey