Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times

Advertisements

I would check out Yardley PA. Great community, low taxes, good schools and easy commute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 PM

300 posts, read 913,844 times
you cant go wrong with Robinsville or South Brunswick or northwest monroe, rest of the area mentioned are excellent but have other issues:

skillman, montgomery, rocky hill: you are at mercy of 206 to get to anywhere, dont do it
lawrenceville: again you are stuck in corner and have to use rt 1 if you have to commute north for some reason
any of the PA town: you will realize prize of the houses there is 75% but it will add 20 minutes to your commute
plainsboro, west windsor: excellent in every way but house prices are 25% more than south brunswick

if you want bigger house and decent school district, the other option is northwest part of monroe, it is easily accessible to tnpk and all the highways and you can get to princeton within 20 minutes, it has very good school system and lowest crime rate in the county and lowest tax in the county

Old 09-10-2009, 07:10 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I would check out Yardley PA. Great community, low taxes, good schools and easy commute!
I don't think Yardley is such a bargain for what you get. I don't know, the schools aren't that great in Yardley from what I hear, at least at the high school level. We looked out there and decided we wanted to live in Newtown (Council Rock SD) or nothing. Then Newtown wasn't any cheaper anyway, and it would have added to my husband's commute.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 AM

901 posts, read 2,248,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalposts View Post
you cant go wrong with Robinsville or South Brunswick or northwest monroe, rest of the area mentioned are excellent but have other issues:

skillman, montgomery, rocky hill: you are at mercy of 206 to get to anywhere, dont do it
lawrenceville: again you are stuck in corner and have to use rt 1 if you have to commute north for some reason
any of the PA town: you will realize prize of the houses there is 75% but it will add 20 minutes to your commute
plainsboro, west windsor: excellent in every way but house prices are 25% more than south brunswick

if you want bigger house and decent school district, the other option is northwest part of monroe, it is easily accessible to tnpk and all the highways and you can get to princeton within 20 minutes, it has very good school system and lowest crime rate in the county and lowest tax in the county
I agree with your assesments, I would also like to hear your take on East Windsor, Hightstown, Cranbury, Hopewell and Pennington. As I feel these are other good options in the area.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 20,754 times
When looking at houses how do I distinguish what is in northwest Monroe.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I agree with your assesments, I would also like to hear your take on East Windsor, Hightstown, Cranbury, Hopewell and Pennington. As I feel these are other good options in the area.
east windsor, hightstown: excellent value if you are looking for newer house (less than 15 years old), tons of choices and some for less than 500k, super bargain with all the shopping and convinience within the town with big stores, small downtown and hamilton market place...but schools are below average (because of doughnut town hightstown) and taxes are as high as west windsor which is completely unacceptable so lot of families are geting out of this town

cranbury: elite, again you wont find many newer homes and you are paying 25% premium, same issue as w windsor and plainsboro

Hopewell, pennington: sleepy town with nice country touch, excellent schools, but i wont take it too much further on northwest side of new jersey where if you want to even get to airport will take you hour+

Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itkt View Post
When looking at houses how do I distinguish what is in northwest Monroe.
anything within 5 miles of exit 8A (before the Manalapan lake on rt 32 forsgate drive) or exit 8 . Once you go too deep in the town you are geting close to rt 9 and that is where you will curse yourself spending 10 minutes everyday just on a single traffic light on texas road to get out to rt 9.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I've noticed that East Windsor and Hightstown's taxes are a little out of whack comparitively speaking to other areas. Also, the schools there are nowhere nearly as good as West Windsor-Plainsboro or Cranbury (who are then bused to Princeton HS when they are done).

My thought is this - East Windsor is a good place to START as long as you're not in some of the older areas - but as your child nears school age it may be smart to start looking at other towns that have better schools.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
I also agree that Monroe near Forsgate and the Turnpike is a good place to look, 600K will go a long way there. The only problem with property searches in Monroe is that I keep pulling retirement communities (there's a LOT of them in Monroe).

There is one development - can't think of it - it's on the border of Monroe and Cranbury off Applegarth Road near the Applegarth driving range... really nice, new houses.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I also agree that Monroe near Forsgate and the Turnpike is a good place to look, 600K will go a long way there. The only problem with property searches in Monroe is that I keep pulling retirement communities (there's a LOT of them in Monroe).

There is one development - can't think of it - it's on the border of Monroe and Cranbury off Applegarth Road near the Applegarth driving range... really nice, new houses.
if you are lookign for new houses there are several option on this side of monroe,

stratford at monroe, monroe manor, soutfield estate (excellent) and several others in higher price range are in west monroe.

there is another excellent new house community in south brunswick (right in front of south brunswick high school) called tamarron hollow.

If you dont mind inside of monroe there are lot of 4-5 years old houses in 500-700k for sell.
I believe 4-5 year old house is better value in every way than buying new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey