Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I like Chevy's too although many people will knock it because its "chain food". I really don't care though...I like it
yeah, i know people are just anti-chain for the sake of being anti-chain. its not the best mexican youll ever have but its consistently a good meal and i enjoy chain restaurant atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
You are used to San Antonio Tex Mex?

In that case, Pat, the answer is no. That would be like me going into the San Antonio forum and asking where I can find a high quality thin crust Neopolitan pizza.
exactly.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,549 times
my father lived in San Antonio for two years long before he married my mother. he said nothing in Jersey can compare to the stuff he ate down there. The best Mexican food and Tex Mex I have ever eaten is in Texas (especially San Antonio), and I've also had some good stuff in Colorado. You will be very dissapointed by what we have here in NJ. it's not nearly as good as what's in SA, but it'll get you by. a chicken quesadilla with pico de gallo cooked in butter and then dipped in sour cream is rich heaven.

but other than Italian food, Mexican and Tex Mex food is my favorite kind of food. I would highly recomend Chipotle Grille, it's excellent. they have some in Wayne, Clifton, East Hanover, and according to a notification I got on facebook a couple months ago they have opened up one in West Caldwell. I was just in West Caldwell though not too long ago, before I moved out here to Brooklyn, and I didn't see it. you can also get great food for a great price at Jose Tejas in Fairfield. there's also Tito's Burritos in Morristown and Q'doba in Rockaway and Denville. and Baja Fresh in East Hanover and East Brunswick is pretty good too. also Applebee's makes some pretty awesome quesadillas.

a lot of people on here mentioned Chevy's... personally, I would not suggest going there. people seem to like it, I only thought it was ok but I had a bad experience there.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM

since you are mentioning a chain burrito place, ill throw qdoba into the mix. i am a big fan of their steak and chicken that they use in their burritos.

my mom used to take me to a place in red bank called Juanitos. i believe it has a more authentic feel if you are interested in that.

the best quesadilla ive ever had (and still enjoy) is at Tucker's on long beach island. its not a mexican place and not convenient for most people to get to but i figured id throw it out there for those in the area.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:47 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,442 times
Qdoba is pretty good.... best *fast food* tex mex I have ever had.

And I too have had a, shall we say, "bad experience" at Chevy's.
I can vouch for the fact their bathrooms are very clean though.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 PM

if you guys have had a bad experience, you can give details unless you are bound by some kind of legal agreement.

i have found the chevy's in manhattan to have terrible service. i used to go to the one on staten island (first in the mall then they moved it somewhere else). that has since closed. so i think last time i went to the one in linden. it was yummy. like i said, its not winning any awards for best mexican food. its just consistently a good meal and a safe bet.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you guys have had a bad experience, you can give details unless you are bound by some kind of legal agreement.
Nothing quite like that.... LOL... just didn't want to gross anyone out. I figured eluding (alluding...?) to my time in the bathroom there would be enough.

And just in case anyone was wondering, my bad experience "worked itself out" at the Chevy's on the corner of Routes 10 and 202 in Parsippany / Morris Plains.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Nothing quite like that.... LOL... just didn't want to gross anyone out. I figured eluding (alluding...?) to my time in the bathroom there would be enough.

And just in case anyone was wondering, my bad experience "worked itself out" at the Chevy's on the corner of Routes 10 and 202 in Parsippany / Morris Plains.
I was wondering if that might have been what you were inferring. However, in your case, the problem seems to have manifested itself rather quickly!

It's 5 pm on the east coast now, right? Almost dinner time, so I will stop now!

Back in the day, there was another restaurant in the same location that is now Chevy's, some of the old timers might remember it, but the name of the place is eluding me right now.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post

that just means you had some authentic mexican food.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:48 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
my father lived in San Antonio for two years long before he married my mother. he said nothing in Jersey can compare to the stuff he ate down there. The best Mexican food and Tex Mex I have ever eaten is in Texas (especially San Antonio), and I've also had some good stuff in Colorado. You will be very dissapointed by what we have here in NJ. it's not nearly as good as what's in SA, but it'll get you by. a chicken quesadilla with pico de gallo cooked in butter and then dipped in sour cream is rich heaven.
[snip].

and your dad would be right. there's some good mexican to be had in arizona as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey