Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:18 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times

Advertisements

If you guys are seriously sending this guy, from San Antonio no less, to Chevy's (!!!) of all places, then right now the original poster is just sitting behind his keyboard shaking his head.

To the OP, New Jersey has some good authentic places. I forgot about Beana's in Rahway ... I've never been, but I hear it's good. There are a couple of other good suggestions in this thread, but again, it will probably be at least a little subpar when compared with the places in San Antonio. After all, San Antonio is near the border of Texas and Mexico, making it quite the place for ... Tex-Mex! Again, it's like one of us, from NJ, looking for a good thin crust pizza in San Antonio. Locals from San Antonio might think a few places are good, and make a few suggestions, but somebody from NJ would very likely be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
well... my bad experience was actually my fault, not the restaurant's. it's a fine place to go, just don't make the same mistake I did. here's what happened:

so the bill was like $21 and all i had were 2 twenty dollar bills. i handed the waitor the forty dollars and he asked me, "Do you need change?" and I thought to myself Duh! I just handed you forty dollars! But I simply replied, "Yeah." so he comes back and he hands me what I thought was $19 in change from the $40 I handed him. When I got back to my friend's house, I realized that I still had a twenty dollar bill. I said to myself, "Wait a minute I shouldn't have this, I should only have $19" I realized that he had given me change for a twenty and handed me back the second twenty, so that I could pay him the exact change, which would have been a twenty and a single because the total was $21. so then I realized, "Oh ****, I just walked out without paying." I was too afraid to go back and pay, because I thought I would get in trouble .

But since I am an honest person I decided to write them a letter the next day explaining what had happened. I didn't sign my name, nor did I mention the name of the waitor because I didn't want him to get in trouble either, because it was only a simple miscommunication. So I included the $21 with my unsigned letter and mailed it in the next day. I was afraid they would be able to track me down if I mailed it from my house, so I asked my Mom to mail it for me from her office in Nutley .

even though I sent them the money and fixed the problem, I'm still too embarassed to show my face there. I can never go in there again, but that's ok because they're food wasn't that great anyway. it was the one in Morris Plains on Route 10.
While you were afraid of getting in trouble (WTF?) the cashier probably DID get in trouble because his register was short $20.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
Jose Tejas? Maybe
It's a chain. While their food is OK and they do (or did) make their own chips on premises, I it average. they make their money from overpriced bulk mixed margaritas. My wife worked as a bar manager years ago in Caldwell and I can tell you that their kitchens were kept clean. Cleaner than most.

My favorite was Mexicali Rose in Montclair. BYOB and the food was very good.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:18 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
While you were afraid of getting in trouble (WTF?) the cashier probably DID get in trouble because his register was short $20.
Why do you say "WTF?"
Wouldn't you be afraid of getting in trouble if you were 17 and this happened to you?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:28 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I hate to say it but I enjoy Chipotle a lot.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:16 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
Why do you say "WTF?"
Wouldn't you be afraid of getting in trouble if you were 17 and this happened to you?
If you turn it in, why would you be in trouble?

Old 09-12-2009, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,056 times
Thanks for all your help. I agree that pizza and Italian and many other cuisines are great here. However, withdrawal from a 30 year habit is pretty strong. I will check your suggestions out as time permits.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 12,056 times
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions--I will visit them as time permits.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:29 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Default pat1618, do you want do some sociological experimentation?

Like you, I lived in Texas for a long time before moving to Jersey, and I would be interested in what you think about Mexican food here. From my perspective, the Italian deli here is really, really great: Texas can't really match the quality of the bread, cheese, and charcuterie here hands down. The bread here makes my mouth water. The tortillas, on the other hand, are pitiful, and the salsa is a nightmare. I've received some recommendations about Tex_Mex food in Jersey--let's do a Texas-based recon mission and compare notes, or we could do ths together? Margaritas (made with fresh lime juice) should lubricate our venturee nicely. Although I'm not a native Texan, my boyfriend is, and he would love to meet you, and both of us miss the bright flavors of Mexico. He's from San Antonio, I'm from Minnesota: we make it work--I learned to cook by by messing with peppers and cilantro and cheese and rooot vegetables.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
You'll find plenty of Mexican joints, but Tex Mex joints will probably only be found in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey