Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM

204 posts, read 634,899 times

Advertisements

I thought I start another thread as the other one may not caught people attention. I'm going into contract pretty soon and there are number of issues and questions that I have on top of my head that need to be cleared before I finalize my decision.

First, the positives, large space, decent school, new recreation center next door, pool, convenient to major highways, close by the new Secaucus Junction station so commute shouldn't be bad, nice shopping options close by with Super Walmart, restaurants, and other stores.

Now, things that I'm worried about. The location is close by the Mill Creek marsh area. I'm worried about flooding, especially after my car literally float through route 17 while I was driving to Paramus several weeks ago. Anyone live close by for a long time that know what the risk is? I saw in the old threads that ppl were complaining about smell during low tides, is it that big of a problem or something you wouldn't smell if you are inside. Anything else that I should look out for?

Thanks ahead for anyone that is responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,749,931 times
I don't live in Secaucus but I work in the area. We looked around when we were looking for rentals and I think it's a cute town. The "downtown" is a little...hmmm...Sleepy? but it's close to so many things, great outlet shopping and harmon meadow has great stores and lots of chain restaurants. My office building is right in front of what we affectionately call "the swamp" and it's really not bad. Every once in a while you can smell it but you get used to it in a minute or so, it's not extremely over powering. And I never smell it from inside (but our windows don't open so that maybe why) There are a TON of animals in those marshes; geese, skunks, rabbits, opossums, some kind of beaver or otter type animal and sometimes racoons. I like Secaucus, it's a great commuter town. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:33 AM

Thanks for the response. My main concern was flood. They say the HOA will cover flood insurance but I don't want to have to deal with it every year if I don't have to. I gave up on Jersey City for all the benefits that I mention so with that exception, everything looks and sounds so good. Maybe too good to be true.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,081 times
I don't live in Secaucus either but worked there several years, right near Mill Creek. Never had any serious flooding issues while I was going there. Rt 17 was always worse. One time the area of paterson plank rd. near tonnelle flooded pretty bad, but I still drove through it OK - but they have redone that street since, and it seems like it wouldn't flood now (the road was bowl-like back then, from use). I think Secaucus is a great choice, I hope it works out for you. I'd live there.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 AM

Thanks Johnny. We are heading over to sign this weekend. So far, nothing extremely negative, we'll probably try to talk to couple of residents close by today.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:55 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,749,931 times
good luck!!

As far as flooding, we've had a couple of problems in the area around my job but they were not do to flood plains or heavy rain, it was due to a water main break. I think they keep putting a patch job on it as opposed to just really fixing it so it happens every few months. Don't worry though there are no houses around there (it's right after you pass Best Buy) the only real problems it causes are traffic (horrible, horrible traffic) and last week it broke and my office building had no water for 3 hours.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
good luck!!

As far as flooding, we've had a couple of problems in the area around my job but they were not do to flood plains or heavy rain, it was due to a water main break. I think they keep putting a patch job on it as opposed to just really fixing it so it happens every few months. Don't worry though there are no houses around there (it's right after you pass Best Buy) the only real problems it causes are traffic (horrible, horrible traffic) and last week it broke and my office building had no water for 3 hours.

Thanks!!! I'll be posting a another one regarding the rental limitation to see what ppl's opinion is, it should be a interesting thread. This along with mortgage contingency is the only thing I have to clear out now to finalize agreement.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:06 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
As far as flooding, it depends where you are living. The Meadow Lane, and Farm Rd flood somewhat regularly. Harmon Meadow has areas prone to floods. The Plaza has has floods but that doesn't affect residential areas.

Quote:
it's right after you pass Best Buy
At that point, you are pretty much in in North Bergen. The creek is the border.

Quote:
new recreation center next door
I hate to say it but that center is going to be a financial disaster for the town. the pool costs the taxpayers hundreds of thousands a year. Now the rec center is going to dwarf that number. they borrowed everything to build it. now the operating expenses are rolling in causing some major alarm. Now the residents know why the former Mayor refused to publicly state what the center cost to build. To date, they still haven't. They refuse to televise the council meetings. Not that they can't but they tend to try to hide any town business. the less people knew, the happier they were. Maybe the new blood coming in will change some of that behavior.

Schools are getting overcrowded and they don't have any plans to expand as they don't have any space to do so. Recent issues with missing tax money, the Mayor's arrest and indictment and unrestricted spending will probably result in some large tax increases in the near future.

Other than that, the town is a safe place to live. Not that that don't have incidents, but what town doesn't. It would be nice to have a supermarket as now residents must travel out of town. the best they can do is a Super Walmart scheduled to open in a few months but if you have ever seen the place on a weekend or most anytime, it is a zoo. I'd avoid it and just shop out of town.

I was born and lived there and worked for the town for the last thirty years. You could do a lot worse than Secaucus. Now, I'll give the correct pronunciation of SECAUCUS.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Flooding, the location on Koelle right next to the rec center, any known problem there that you know of?

I guess I don't really know the cost in running these things. I would imagine the pool could recover cost at least as I see some activity there and they are charging more for out of towners. The rec center might not be the best idea in that location but I'm just happy it's there and I will take advantage of it. I'll pay the increase in taxes but at least I get to use it.

Walmart isn't that bad, but having more space would help. I don't know about school, but that would be a concern maybe 5 to 7 years later. We do need a serious cleanup in the town government though with all those accusations.

Do you mind if I ask where you move to? Thanks.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
No major flooding in that area. Traffic problems are the main issue from the school and the pool in the summer. Pool, not so much.

Quote:
I would imagine the pool could recover cost at least as I see some activity there
The pool has lost money every year since day one and there is no hope of ever breaking even. As it gets older, it needs more and more expensive modifications. IT is also in the middle of a civil suit over a near drowning. The Rec Center's costs are staggering and the membership fees are no where near covering those costs. The residents fought it but in the end the Town council ignored it and built it anyway. To date, no costs of building have ever be issued. Future bond payments will drive the cost of operation even higher. Money from impac funds in the area of five million publicized as a major portion covering the costs never materialized. The town basically bs'ed the resident stated a max. possible payment on those fees when in reality only a small portion was ever paid based on the construction to date of a housing project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey