Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 05:31 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,085 times

Advertisements

I want to take my 2 kids, 5 and 7 for a weekend camping. Don't want to travel far, just give them a taste and see a part of NJ we haven't done more than drive by.

Was thinking about the Pine Barrens. Would love to hear recommendations for campsites, things to do, general areas to visit, etc.

I also saw that many state parks have lean-tos and cabins. I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to roughing it (don't need luxury, but a bug free night might be nice). Any experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 07:22 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I've only camped at Atsion, but have been by most of the other sites. I'm busy right now...I'll get back in a little while.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,750 times
Lightbulb Bass RIver

Many years ago, a group of us camped in tents at Bass River state park . From what I remember, it was ok. Try the search features..Google:NJ camping? just trying to help !

but I agree about the "wuss" thing....there are bears in them thar woods. They can't eat through a wood shack but they sure as hell can rip through your tent.

These days I prefer my camping at a Hilton

Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,072,629 times
Watch out for the Jersey Devil!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,750 times
Wink Bedtime story

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Watch out for the Jersey Devil!
oh YES ! That book is a must-read for bedtime stories for the kids.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:54 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Other than the standard precautions like putting your food away and cleaning up, you don't have to do anything special to avoid wildlife at your campsite. There are very few bears down here. In NJersey or NEPA you'd have more of a problem.

Bass River State Forest has lean-tos, shelters and cabins. Atsion has cabins. I'd pick Bass River; the lake beach is more convenient to the campsites. If they're booked, and they might be, there are a lot of private campgrounds as well.

BRST has scheduled events every weekend in the summer and they might have something for kids. Maybe a side trip to Tuckerton Seaport? Search Pine Barrens festivals and events; there might be something of interest scheduled, like this:

Saturday, August 8, 2009, 1PM: Smokey Bear's 65th Birthday! Join the men and women of the New Jersey Forest Fire Service as they demonstrate the techniques and equipment used in fighting forest fires, from the ground to the air. Then we'll honor our special guest, Smokey Bear, on his very special 65th birthday. Batsto Village Visitors Center. For more information, please call 609-561-3262.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,551 times
The cabins are typically rented out months in advance. I doubt you'll get one at this point unless you luck into a cancellation.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Many years ago, a group of us camped in tents at Bass River state park . From what I remember, it was ok. Try the search features..Google:NJ camping? just trying to help !

but I agree about the "wuss" thing....there are bears in them thar woods. They can't eat through a wood shack but they sure as hell can rip through your tent.

These days I prefer my camping at a Hilton
I went to Bass River this weekend for a day. The beach lake is better than most and there is food u can buy to in the log shelter/ bathrooms infront of the lake. Don't plan on going on an adventerist hike there because the trails are parallel to the road and people can see you in the woods walking as they drive by. Really pathetic. But apart from that it's nice and off of route 9 around Burlington county. Lebanon state forrest is also nice and probably more secluded, they have cabins as well and better trails, however their lake isn't as nice, to dark and scary for me.

I think there are also beach camps but I've never experienced them. Like a yogi bear camp near wildwood. Whatever u do don't fall for these independenly run camp sites in the forrest like " Paradise Lake " on rt 206. Because it's not a lake, it's a swamp which appears like a lake but once u get in a coneo the water doesn't get any deeper than 2 feet. And they charge u 10 dollars a person, just to get in.

These little vacation spots in NJ are very deceiving, so make sure u really do ur research as well as call to ask questions to make sure it has what u are looking for, before u show up there without a plan B.

Tuckerton sucks unless u have jetskis.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:53 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,085 times
Thanks for the info so far. I'll look up Bass River, sounds interesting.

I did think it would be difficult to get a cabin.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,248 times
Default Camping with kids

Try a private campground. Many have cabins and are family friendly. A great one in the Pinelands for kids is Yogi's Jellystone Park in Mays Landing. Check out New Page 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey