Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 09:36 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,707,426 times

Advertisements

OK..After having been "down sized' and now self employed for 1 yr. plus what are my best options for health insurance here in NJ ?. I'm 58, good health..no problems,single etc. My Cobra option runs out in another 3 or 4 months...so where to now ?? Real solutions/suggestions wanted...not a rant about nationlized health care or how the present system sucks...

Thanks
jb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,939,368 times
Are you just looking to cover youself or you and a spouse / kid? If there are 2 of you, I would suggest a small business plan which will get you much better rates that an individual plan. However, they won't give it to you if you are just self employed.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:24 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,930,021 times
Individual Health Coverage Program Rates

You can find the costs for different plans here. I work for a Health Reimbursement Fund in NJ and this is the info we send our members when their COBRA is going to run out.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,707,426 times
regarese Thanks...This is the kinda info I'm looking for as well as any personal do's & don'ts..thanks Yes that's the situation I'm in...I didn't realize that after 18 months Cobra dropped you..

Any personal favorites ?? PM me if you like

Old 07-12-2007, 09:41 PM

859 posts, read 3,322,947 times
I have Horizon Blue Cross Blue Sheild of NJ and find it reasonable. I am also in my 20s, it maye be a little more if you're in your 50s but it's worth looking into.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:00 AM

835 posts, read 1,181,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
OK..After having been "down sized' and now self employed for 1 yr. plus what are my best options for health insurance here in NJ ?. I'm 58, good health..no problems,single etc. My Cobra option runs out in another 3 or 4 months...so where to now ?? Real solutions/suggestions wanted...not a rant about nationlized health care or how the present system sucks...

Thanks
jb

I work for Horizon.. best bet.. move to PA. Health ins. is much cheaper there.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:19 AM

142 posts, read 537,426 times
Default Health Insurance PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
I work for Horizon.. best bet.. move to PA. Health ins. is much cheaper there.
Cheaper Yes BUT!!, much much harder to get especially for a 58 to 64 year old and much harder if you smoke and have pre-existing conditions such as hyper-tension or just being overweight. Being treated for psych will just about negate any possibility of getting a plan or if you are lucky, a rider may amend the policy listing all physical and psychiatric exclusions. If you are in your 20s, it is much easier and cheaper to get insurance.

In NJ you tend to use health insurance at a whim for just about any ailment which bothers you as most policies have a reasonable co-pay. There are 3 to 4 providers in NJ who will provide individual or family coverage. Aetna, Blue Cross, Oxford, US Healthcare etc. You pay the nose bleed premium and you are accepted with a choice of co-pays.

In PA, Utah and many other States, in order to obtain an INDIVIDUAL or FAMILY policy, (unemployed) you must go through an underwriter's review before you are accepted. This includes review of medical records from your treating doctors and a information supplied by the Medical Information Bureau. (MIB). The underwriters then create a scoring system based upon your age, medical history, credit history and whether you are or were a smoker. Each Insurance company has there own set of scoring standards.

If you are rejected, you must attempt to apply at another Insurance Company. If you are accepted, you can select from a dozen plan options which usually includes catastrophic coverage with a very high deductible.

There may be a couple of exceptions for PA. For the city of Philadelphia
there may be a law stating that you cannot be rejected and the second
exception may be for NE PA using Blue Cross, Blue Shield as they are tied to the Federal Government (Medicare) (further research needed). In PA, if you are a sole proprieter (sp) of a business, you then would be lumped in a GROUP plan which does not use insurance underwriters.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:05 PM

56 posts, read 290,845 times
Try ehealthinsurance.com. I'm a realtor and this is a big issue in our industry. Health coverage, especially family health coverage is costly and a concern. I was able to pick and choose options that made sense for me and may family and it was the most reasonable rates I could find. Also, unlike alot of websites, there was a real person to discuss options with and get further information from. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey