U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 12:40 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,435,974 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on placing a rental listing or how to rent out an apt? I have a 2-bedroom apt available for rent in Northern NJ, Nutley to be specific, but since I am from the NYC area and not too familiar with NJ or resources available - I was hoping someone here may be able to help?

- I've tried craigslist, but haven't had much luck with it.
- I've thought about sites like Rent.com or Apartments.com, but don't know how many people actually use those and don't want to waste money neither.
- I used a realtor a couple of years back, but it was a bad experience and she really didn't do anything for me. (I wound up renting the place myself and she still collected a commission!)

So, any advice?
1. Are there any locally oriented websites that are popular for rentals I might've missed?
2. Can someone recommend a realtor that is good who is in Essex County? You can PM me in the info.
3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 PM

381 posts, read 1,224,026 times
I had great luck with craiglist. It was Hoboken before the crash, so maybe those factors made a difference.

Anyway, FWIW, I wrote a long, detailed ad that explained exactly why it was a perfect apartment for a young couple with one kid max. I was also fairly straightforward about the place's drawbacks. A young couple with a baby answered right away and was ready to take it on the spot. I got about 15 replies in two days, but I never had to show it to anyone else.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:54 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,359,301 times
Only suggestions I would have would be to be very descriptive in your ad, provide at least the street and cross streets (in fact I would provide the address but people get skeevish about giving the address for whatever reason, but at least give enough information so that someone could see relatively where it's located), and provide LOTS of photos in your ad (at least one photo of every room, plus a photo of the outside if there is any backyard etc.)

And, of course, lowering your rent also counts more than anything.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninasimonejr View Post
I had great luck with craiglist. It was Hoboken before the crash, so maybe those factors made a difference.

Anyway, FWIW, I wrote a long, detailed ad that explained exactly why it was a perfect apartment for a young couple with one kid max. I was also fairly straightforward about the place's drawbacks. A young couple with a baby answered right away and was ready to take it on the spot. I got about 15 replies in two days, but I never had to show it to anyone else.
The first time around I had some luck with craigslist too, but as yourself that was before the recession. Now, it's been like 2 weeks and not 1 person inquiring about it so thought I'd look at other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Only suggestions I would have would be to be very descriptive in your ad, provide at least the street and cross streets (in fact I would provide the address but people get skeevish about giving the address for whatever reason, but at least give enough information so that someone could see relatively where it's located), and provide LOTS of photos in your ad (at least one photo of every room, plus a photo of the outside if there is any backyard etc.)

And, of course, lowering your rent also counts more than anything.
Yup, did that. I was very detailed to what the apartment offered, neighborhood it was in, distance to midtown Manhattan, and had photos of the main rooms and outside of the house. I even included what was close by in terms of shopping and sorts. As I mentioned above, I think it's more difficult now with the economy the way it is, so I was hoping to see if there were any other options I could try. I don't mind using a realtor neither if someone can recommend a good one.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM

50 posts, read 123,455 times
I have use craiglist with good results. I have also used apartments.com, and just as noted I use to get more activity in the past.
You need to put pictures and a google map will also help. If you can make a nice page to replace the plain craiglist layout it will be a plus.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:01 PM

5,440 posts, read 15,790,154 times
Have you tried homehunters.net? I don't know what their fee is.

I cant imagine dealing with people from craigslist. I can't give something away on there without someone screwing me over.

Is there a sign in front of the house?

I am curious about this also, as we're thinking about renting out the house. I'm thinking a sign in the front is going to rent it real quickly. Busy road though.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

I cant imagine dealing with people from craigslist. I can't give something away on there without someone screwing me over.

I am curious about this also, as we're thinking about renting out the house. I'm thinking a sign in the front is going to rent it real quickly. Busy road though.
No, I have not tried homehunters.net - is that a good site? I don't mind paying for a ad on a rental site, but just want to make sure it's a good site that reaches renters. I don't want to post an ad on 10+ sites and get no leads. That's why I thought there might be a "Jersey Oriented" site that I didn't know of.

No sign because I don't live there right now, so most people who see the sign might want to see it right away. Being that I am not in NJ, people would need to make an appt to see it. Plus, we are on a side street and not a main road.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 PM

9 posts, read 47,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

Ha, Ha now that is funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: