Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 AM

82 posts, read 304,376 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I believe each house starts with a fixed incentive list these days as opposed to when I bought. I do know that these incentives are specific to the model, and I'm sure can be adjusted depending on the lot and what the buyer needs are.

To give you an example, the Westminster model is the smallest house, and the easiest for them to sell, and the model the builder least desires to build (as it offers the lowest revenue to the builder and also detracts from the neighborhoods value). So, the incentive package is very small and there are generally no negotiation on any lots that are considered 'premium' lots (lots facing the open space, lots backing to trees, or lots with more than 25k or so square footage).

On the other hand, the Cambridge model, as the largest and most expensive model, would have a 'healthy' incentive package (example: house extension, 9' basement walls, tray ceiling in bedroom, maybe some kitchen incentives like an island and sink, etc). This model is where you could negotiate premium lot costs, costs of after-contract upgrades (like a 25% discount on any upgrades you pick from the builder during the build process), etc. In other words, Hallmark is far more interested in selling you a Cambridge, and would give you more leeway with the incentive package.

To this day, Hallmark will not negotiate the base price of a house. As a homeowner in the community, I'm very pleased with this policy as it maintains the community house values (and in fact the house values have gone up a good amount since I closed on my home).

Hope it helps!
KL72

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnadig View Post
[SIZE=3]Hi KL72,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I read your feedback on Cubberley Meadows and thank you for posting your thoughts. I am a potential buyer in phase 2; regarding incentives; was there a fixed incentive amount or it is based on negotiation? Thank you. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKAJ View Post
As this is our first house purchase and have not seen many, would you mind helping us what items we can ask to include in the base price.

Hi DK,

Not sure if you still need it, but I thought it was a good question to answer anyway. Maybe others will find the information useful.

So, I will answer it like this: building a home is a very personal thing. What you should try to have included in the base price really comes down to what you want in the home.

Additionally, for me, each model would have different things I would ask to have included.

That being said, here is a short list (not exhaustive) of items I could recommend that I think would maximize the value of the home. These items don't necessarily mean they are right for you and your family! They are also fairly general and not model specific.
  • House extension (for models that include an 'optional' extension)
  • 9 Ft basement ceilings
  • Kitchen upgrades including island and sink, any color cabinets (vanilla cream is considered an upgrade by OK kitchens), maybe crown moldings or grid mullions if you desire them
  • Tray ceiling in Master bedroom and, where available, the bath
  • Gas Fireplace in master sitting room
  • Granite counters in Master bath (might be standard) and marble shower bench
  • Belgium block driveway
  • Blue Stone steps for the porch
  • Double car garage door and removal of pole (if you desire it)
  • Remove of up to 5 poles in the basement
  • Option to add up to 8 windows to the floor plan
  • Hardwood flooring as you desire
  • Oak tread stained stairs with hardwood platforms
  • Central Vac system
  • Arched entryways in the foyer and all entries to the dining room, living room and kitchen
  • Stained fiber glass front door to my liking
  • Marble upgrade for the mantel
  • Mantel upgrade
  • X% discount on all builder provided extras you purchase during the build process (this could save you a lot of money)
Just some ideas.

Most important thing you need to do before negotiating on a house with Hallmark is to pick a lot, reserve it (put in a binder), and study the house models to see which you prefer. Next you should compile a 'wish list' of all the items you want in the home, focus on structure first and cosmetic later. Finally, prioritize that list! I highly recommend you put a heavy weighting on structural upgrades as you only have one opportuinity (for the most part) to do these. You can always put in upgrade tiles after the house is built, but you are likely never going to go back and put in 9' basement walls!

Once you have a prioritized list of items you want, sit down with the sales office and negotiate what can be included in the base price.

Take care
KL72

Old 12-09-2010, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 15,411 times
Hi KL72,
[SIZE=3]Thank you very much for your reply t my question; it certainly helps a lot. Thx again. [/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL72 View Post
Hi,

I believe each house starts with a fixed incentive list these days as opposed to when I bought. I do know that these incentives are specific to the model, and I'm sure can be adjusted depending on the lot and what the buyer needs are.

To give you an example, the Westminster model is the smallest house, and the easiest for them to sell, and the model the builder least desires to build (as it offers the lowest revenue to the builder and also detracts from the neighborhoods value). So, the incentive package is very small and there are generally no negotiation on any lots that are considered 'premium' lots (lots facing the open space, lots backing to trees, or lots with more than 25k or so square footage).

On the other hand, the Cambridge model, as the largest and most expensive model, would have a 'healthy' incentive package (example: house extension, 9' basement walls, tray ceiling in bedroom, maybe some kitchen incentives like an island and sink, etc). This model is where you could negotiate premium lot costs, costs of after-contract upgrades (like a 25% discount on any upgrades you pick from the builder during the build process), etc. In other words, Hallmark is far more interested in selling you a Cambridge, and would give you more leeway with the incentive package.

To this day, Hallmark will not negotiate the base price of a house. As a homeowner in the community, I'm very pleased with this policy as it maintains the community house values (and in fact the house values have gone up a good amount since I closed on my home).

Hope it helps!
KL72

Old 08-15-2011, 11:56 AM
ew5

3 posts, read 12,239 times
Looks like this post has been inactive for some time, but just wondering if Cubberly is set up with Cablevision or Verizon?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew5 View Post
Looks like this post has been inactive for some time, but just wondering if Cubberly is set up with Cablevision or Verizon?
Hi, we have both options available.

By the way, house pricing has increased dramatically since I first posted up this thread. It's amazing how this community is holding its value after the price hike about a year ago.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
ew5

3 posts, read 12,239 times
Thanks. We actually bought last year and got the lower price with some of the incentives you mentioned earlier. We love the community and the houses are very well built.

Biggest disappointment has been the turnaround time. We're coming up on 15 months and still haven't closed yet.

In regards the cable, just trying to plan out the move in service.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Yes, turn-around is not this builder's strength! We were at 15 months before we finally closed as well.

Good luck and we'll see you soon!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,827 times
I came across this blog quite accidently and found it quite interesting because I work for Woodcliff Estates, an enclave of 42 luxury homes being built on 2 acre lots just 15 minutes from Cubberly Meadows, 4 miles east of the Hamilton Marketplace and 5 minutes form 195 and the New Jersey Turnpike.

Woodcliff Inc., is a small builder form Mountainside, NJ, that has been in business for 50 years and is unlike any major builder. I know because I worked for one the biggest before coming here. There are three things we do that set us aside from everyone else.

]We put all the upgrades in our homes that other major builders do, but we include them in the price we list. So you get a gourmet kitchen with 42” cabinets, recessed lighting, hardwood and/or large tile floors, oak tread stairs, fireplaces, 9’ ceilings, two story grand foyers and family rooms, dual or three zone heating and air-conditioning, granite in ALL the bathrooms, whirlpool tubs, Kohler fixtures, three car garages, full brick fronts, even paver driveways in some of the models, and it is all included in the price. Never will we tell you that anything you see in a model is extra.

We are willing to do extensive customization. If you want it, odds are we can do it. Right now we are building a home for a family who wanted their parents to live with them, but wanted them to have privacy. We had out architect redesign the conservatory, study, living room area, so that they have a large bedroom with two huge walk-in closets, a master bath with two sinks, a shower, a toilet area, and a whirlpool tub, all equipped with grab bars and other safety features. They also have a separate area for entertaining their friends and a separate laundry room. In another instance we had plans to convert a shared bath into two separate baths each accessed from two bedrooms so that the two daughters didn’t have to share. One had a tub, another a stall shower, each to her liking. We have done amazing custom kitchens with high end appliances. In short, although we include so much in our basic models, we are still willing to do more!

Lastly, our approach to sales is two-fold. We keep an inventory specially priced ready to go homes. This is for the buyer that cannot wait to build or prefers the security of having their home sold before buying another. At anytime there is a selection of 6-8 homes. We also will build to suit. The buyer picks the lot, the model, and EVERYTHING else.

Finally, I saw that many people discussed the lack of ability to negotiate. At Woodcliff we will work with you. Especially today people have a fixed budget. We will sit down with you, discuss your wants and see how we can keep the price in your budget. Like I said in the beginning, we are like no other major builder.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. I can be reached by phone at 609-259-7995, or by email at woodcliffestates@yahoo.com

Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Hi Barbara, thanks for your reply.

We went throgh Woodcliff and the homes are awesome! Much more 'bang for your buck' when compared to the Cubberly Meadows development.

However, at the end, it's all about location, location, location.

For my family needs, Woodcliff is in Hamilton and we are not happy with the public school options of Hamilton. Also, it was too far away (for me at least) to the Hamilton train station. My wife wasn't happy as well about the distance to the nearest retail stores (stores along route 33 in Hamilton).

But anyway, it's a great option for those looking for homes in the price ranges we've been discussing for this area.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,747 times
People are still buying 4K+ sq ft houses? In Hamilton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey