Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 7,888 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I was wondering if I could get some opinions. I am a recent college graduate and I'll be working in Manhattan, but living in New Jersey. I don't really know New Jersey too well and based off of what I was able to research I am currently considering places in Bergen county, more specifically places like Fort Lee, Palisades Park, Paramus, Edgewater and Ridgefield. I was wondering what your thoughts are on these cities and if there are any additional places that anyone would recommend. I'm looking for apartments within the range of 1500 to 1800 and where there are quite a bit of young professionals. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 10:18 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
There are many young professionals that live in Edgewater. Edgewater has transformed itself and gentrified considerably over the past 10-15 years. I think 1800 a month will afford you a small apartment in Edgewater, which seems appropriate for you being a single young professional. I'd definitely opt for Edgewater, for instance, over a place such as Paramus, which is more geared towards families. To me, Edgewater is easily the best of the places you mentioned.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 7,888 times
Hey Mike,
Thanks. I was wondering, why are Edgewater apartments expensive? Is it because there are so many young professionals there? Also, are there any apartment complexes you recommend that I should look at?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Welcome to Jerze

Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 AM

202 posts, read 992,927 times
Fort Lee and Palisades Park are nice towns. Easy commute to NYC. A lot of young professionals, especially Koreans.

Edgewater is fine, but it is a town of mostly condos and a few strip malls. Other than the ridiculously easy commute to NYC, Mitsuwa, the Japanese supermarket is easily the highlight of that town, which should tell you something. There's not much to do in Edgewater other than look across the river and admire NYC.

Hoboken is really what you're looking for (unless you're Korean, in which case I'd recommend Fort Lee or Pal Park). A lot of young professionals, easy commute to the city, many restaurants and bars. Very urban.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:42 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho_Cho View Post
Hey Mike,
Thanks. I was wondering, why are Edgewater apartments expensive? Is it because there are so many young professionals there? Also, are there any apartment complexes you recommend that I should look at?
here is the main thing to know about real estate values:
edgewater is a hop skip and a splash from Manhattan, that is an amenity that makes for expensive real estate

Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Yeah but does Edgewater really have good transportation into the city?

I don't think any of the buses go over the GWB and down to the Port Authority. I think the easiest way to get in is to take the bus over the GWB and take the subway down on the A/C/E, and this really isn't THAT convenient.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:41 AM

202 posts, read 992,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah but does Edgewater really have good transportation into the city?

I don't think any of the buses go over the GWB and down to the Port Authority. I think the easiest way to get in is to take the bus over the GWB and take the subway down on the A/C/E, and this really isn't THAT convenient.

Edgewater actually has a really easy commute into NYC. A few bus lines drive all the way down River Road, into the Lincoln Tunnel. There's also the Weehawken Ferry, to which you can drive or take the bus. They have been building a Ferry terminal on the north end of Edgewater. I have no idea if it's complete yet.

The biggest problem I see with Edgewater is the lack of character. There's nothing to do there. There are some run-down houses on one side of town, and soul-less, generic luxury condo monstrosities on the other.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
Edgewater actually has a really easy commute into NYC. A few bus lines drive all the way down River Road, into the Lincoln Tunnel. There's also the Weehawken Ferry, to which you can drive or take the bus. They have been building a Ferry terminal on the north end of Edgewater. I have no idea if it's complete yet.

The biggest problem I see with Edgewater is the lack of character. There's nothing to do there. There are some run-down houses on one side of town, and soul-less, generic luxury condo monstrosities on the other.
That said, if he/she is working in NYC, they'll probably spend a lot of after-working hours there anyway, especially if young/single.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 PM

67 posts, read 335,539 times
Default try Cliffside Park

Hi,

I was recently renting a 2 bedroom in Cliffside Park for less than $1,200. The bus to NYC was at the end of my block. I was able to drive into NYC in ten minutes. I was also able to walk to the town center for groceries, restaurants, etc.

You might want to check it out.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey