Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM

12 posts, read 41,745 times

Advertisements

Ok so I have been renting an apt. with 2 other roommates for about a year and a half. The landlords we have are horrible. Whenever we needed something fixed in the past it took them forever to do it.
We had our oven broken for a little over 2 weeks, and when we complained about that they basically said "oh well you can use the microwave".
WHAT ??!! Our toilet was messed up for almost 3 weeks and every time we had to use it we would need to turn the knob on and off becuase if not it would constantly run all the time. We were told when we were moving in here that the rugs would all be changed (they're gross spots all over). They were never changed even after we brought it up to them repeatedly. Our shower door is broken and its almost fallen on me in the shower when I've gone to slide it over. When we told them about that they said " oh just slide the one door and don't move the broken one".

Now here is the big issue...we gave them 30 days notice a few weeks ago that we were moving. Aren't landlords supposed to give you at least 24 hours notice before they show the apartment? Well these landlords definitly don't. The first time they left a note on our door at 11 pm saying the next day they need access from 10am to 8pm. Like wtf?!?!
They'll tell us like 5 hours before and thats it. This has happened about 5 times already. And I have told them PLEASE give us a little more notice. The excuse is "oh well we have to get this apt rented". I dunno I just feel like I may as well talk to a wall. I feel like they don't take us seriously because we're young and guaranteed if it was a family here with kids or something they would't do this. I may be wrong though, it could be that they are just rude inconsiderate people.
Sorry that was long I tried to make it as short as possible.
Any advice would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
Eh. Landlords mistreat people all the time, of all ages. These ones sounds like real bad eggs though.

As far as them showing the apartment, why not just let them? As long as they give some notice and knock before they come in of course. Is there a reason you need so much advanced notice?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 AM

336 posts, read 1,295,693 times
Next time he brings someone over say to him... by the way when are you going to fix the oven, or the shower door. You get the picture.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Pretty sure you don't need to let them show the house while you live in it but check your lease. This is a cost the land lord should eat up. If the place didn't suck, so much you wouldn't be leaving, he wouldn't have to be re-showing it.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
Most leases usually have something about this unfortunately, letting folks in to see the place.

I remember in college our slumlord used to come by on a Saturday morning to pick up the rent checks. We used to just stick them on frig and let him come in (he had a key). Sometimes one of us would forget and he would knock on our bedroom door and we would just slip it out under the door to him. He was a riot. I bet that house has fallen down by now.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Buy a BIIIIG piece of poster board and write on it in huge letters: Please fix the carpet it has been a year and a half, please fix the shower doors, it's been XXX months. Please fix the oven it has been XXX weeks. Please give us more notice next time you need to show the apartment, thank you. The letters should be big bold and plain enough that anyone can read them from a far.

Next time he doesn't give you enough notice leave the sign propped up somewhere he will see it as soon as he walks in the door with his perspective tenants. Good luck getting the apartment rented with that sign there and maybe he will think twice about brining people to your place at the drop of a hat.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,768 times
tenant in new jersery did not pay rent for Oct, contcated her on Oct 9 th she stated she was moving out on Oct 11. Just received call she is not moving out in Oct 11, She was told pay rent and late fee in full or I will start legal action. Tenant up set I posted a for rent sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey