Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:02 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

For anyone who's interested, all this week on the Sundance Channel at 10PM, there's an hour-long documentary called Brick City that chronicles the changes that have been going on in Newark. I don't know if this is of interest to anyone but for those who live in the city and have seen the (often positive) changes that have been going on, I thought I'd mention it. I personally will be watching it because I'm hoping to hear Cory Booker speak, who I think is largely responsible for improving the quality of life there.

Just thought I'd mention it. Cheers.

- Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Default Newark documentary on Sundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Hi guys,

For anyone who's interested, all this week on the Sundance Channel at 10PM, there's an hour-long documentary called Brick City that chronicles the changes that have been going on in Newark. I don't know if this is of interest to anyone but for those who live in the city and have seen the (often positive) changes that have been going on, I thought I'd mention it. I personally will be watching it because I'm hoping to hear Cory Booker speak, who I think is largely responsible for improving the quality of life there.

- Mike
Hi Mike,

I'm really glad you mentioned it. I have been longing to see it, but I don't get the Sundance Channel anymore. Actually, I haven't had a TV at all because I'm trying to save money.

I've seen clips from the show, and they look really interesting. You can see some of them on the Sundance Channel website here.

You can also read more about it here. (includes clip and a link to an interview with Forest Whitaker and Cory Booker).

I do think that Newark has a lot going for it and there have been strides made in recent years. But there's a long way to go.

What does everyone think? I think that Booker is trying very hard to change things, but the problems are Newark have been there so long that it's going to be hard to really change things. I mean, most Newarkers are hard-working people who just want a peaceful life for themselves and their children. But a small percentage make so much trouble for everyone.

Did the schools get any better after the state takeover? Have any neighborhoods started to feel safer? I was shocked at the murder in broad daylight at Market and Broad, right in probably the busiest area of the city.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,640 times
I'm mad as hell that I don't have the Sundance Channel. I was waiting til 10 PM to watch that. Thank you FIOS.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
I'm mad as hell that I don't have the Sundance Channel. I was waiting til 10 PM to watch that. Thank you FIOS.
I hope someone on this board sees the documentary and tell us all about it. It looks really interesting.

Maybe it will come out on DVD. After all, the terrific Oscar-winning actor Forest Whitaker is involved.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I hope someone on this board sees the documentary and tell us all about it. It looks really interesting.

Maybe it will come out on DVD. After all, the terrific Oscar-winning actor Forest Whitaker is involved.

Actually, it might come out on the internet. You never know. They had that Omar Broadway documentary about Northern State Prison floating around on the internet somewhere. I seen it.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM

11 posts, read 34,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Hi guys,

- Mike
Thanks for the reminder, even though I forgot to watch. I will watch tonight and hopefully last nite's episode will be repeated.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
NewJerseyMemories - I agree that Booker is passionately committed to cleaning up the city, and though the city might have a lot of work to do it's on the right track. The fact that there's a large core of local activists who are also serious about reducing crime and shielding children from gangs and other urban ills also helps. I've seen Booker speak as a guest on Bill Maher's show and on NBC's Meet The Press - both times he spoke intelligently and I was really impressed by his innovative ideas and commitment to his city. He sounds like he genuinely cares but he also strikes me as someone who doesn't take any crap either, which I love. They need someone like that. Another reason I think things have improved is because attitudes have changed - that 's imperative in any city (no matter how wealthy or poor) if change is to occur

Last year my pops & I were having lunch at a diner. I don't remember how we got on the subject but he was commenting on how Newark started off 2008 by going alomst seven weeks without a murder - which I could not believe. That alone should tell you things are changing. Insurance companies are expanding and the downtown is going through revitalization - really, it can only get better and I hope it does.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromct View Post
newjerseymemories - i agree that booker is passionately committed to cleaning up the city, and though the city might have a lot of work to do it's on the right track. The fact that there's a large core of local activists who are also serious about reducing crime and shielding children from gangs and other urban ills also helps. I've seen booker speak as a guest on bill maher's show and on nbc's meet the press - both times he spoke intelligently and i was really impressed by his innovative ideas and commitment to his city. He sounds like he genuinely cares but he also strikes me as someone who doesn't take any crap either, which i love. They need someone like that. Another reason i think things have improved is because attitudes have changed - that 's imperative in any city (no matter how wealthy or poor) if change is to occur

last year my pops & i were having lunch at a diner. I don't remember how we got on the subject but he was commenting on how newark started off 2008 by going alomst seven weeks without a murder - which i could not believe. That alone should tell you things are changing. Insurance companies are expanding and the downtown is going through revitalization - really, it can only get better and i hope it does.
gentrify and unify!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 36,766 times
Amazon.com: Brick City: Mayor Cory Booker, Jayda, Creep, Mark Benjamin;Marc Levin: Movies & TV

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
I tried to watch that lastnight but I didn't get that channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: