Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:57 PM
MMP MMP started this thread

2 posts, read 15,396 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I may be moving for a year to the NY/NJ area. The company I'd be working at is in Parsippany. Is is crazy to live in Manhattan and commute? I am also thinking of Hoboken and just going to Manhattan on weekends etc. Currently live in San Fran- lived in LA for a long time, so traffic would not be a shocker (nor rents etc). Any other suggestions welcome as well.

Thanks!!!

MMP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMP View Post
Greetings,

I may be moving for a year to the NY/NJ area. The company I'd be working at is in Parsippany. Is is crazy to live in Manhattan and commute? I am also thinking of Hoboken and just going to Manhattan on weekends etc. Currently live in San Fran- lived in LA for a long time, so traffic would not be a shocker (nor rents etc). Any other suggestions welcome as well.

Thanks!!!

MMP
I don't think it would be crazy per se to live in Manhattan, but if you're looking for mass transit, your options may be limited since you'd be doing a reverse commute (there would be buses, but maybe not as frequently). Check NJ Transit or Lakeland Bus. Hoboken is a good choice, and much easier and cheaper if you're looking to drive everyday (as opposed to Manhattan). You probably will hit some traffic on the Turnpike, but if you've lived in LA, it's probably nothing you couldn't handle.

Morristown is another good option if you're looking for some nightlife - and very close to Parsippany, and much less expensive than Hoboken or NYC.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,329,650 times
How do you plan on doing this? There is no rail connection, only the buses from the Port Authority that run along Rt 46/I-80. Is the company you are looking at near one of the bus stops?

Do you plan on driving? If so Hoboken/Jersey City would probably be a better choice, but the commute is going to be rough.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM

209 posts, read 1,680,774 times
There is another thread that discusses driving from the Hoboken/Jersey City area to Parsippany. IIRC the gist of it is that it can be a bit trafficky and you are looking at a 40-45 minute drive. But you might want to do a search and see if that's correct.

I do a reverse commute (driving) from JC and find it manageable, but I really don't think it would be if I were driving from Manhattan and had to take a bridge/tunnel in and out.

Does your employer have a shuttle from an NJ Transit station by chance? In that case it might be more manageable. Or you can see if there is an NJ Transit bus stop somewhere close to your exact work location.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,846,454 times
I did this for almost four years. The first week I did it, I wasn't sure I'd last, because getting home the way I got to work (through the Lincoln Tunnel) would take me almost two hours. Then I found that the GW Bridge (but ONLY if the Yankees weren't playing) was better: 45 minutes from Nutley to the Upper West Side.

Parsippany is another story entirely. I wouldn't even consider it. Not if I wanted any kind of life.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:10 PM
MMP MMP started this thread

2 posts, read 15,396 times
Thanks all. That's exactly the info I needed. This is all very preliminary- The job is a possibility at the moment (only). Its GREAT to have this kind of information!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 AM

209 posts, read 1,680,774 times
One thing to consider if you take the job is that you will absolutely need to live near whatever bridge/tunnel you take to get out of Manhattan, as the traffic in Manhattan is far worse than anywhere in NJ most of the time.

I would NEVER use the Lincoln Tunnel as part of a commute--its just far too busy and backed up most of the time. The Holland Tunnel might be better, but it backs up a bit too and you are then probably looking at living near Tribeca which is currently the most expensive area of Manhattan. The GW Bridge is probably the best option (usually not terrible traffic and you will have a good choice of places on the UWS). But when there is a problem on the bridge or an event like a Yankees game, a 45 minute delay on the bridge is not uncommon.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:25 AM

I went to work at 6:30 in the morning: at that time of day, leaving NYC through the Lincoln tunnel is a snap - two minutes and you're done. It's getting back to NYC that's the real nightmare.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 AM

34 posts, read 161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownjc View Post
....Tribeca which is currently the most expensive area of Manhattan....
Is it true? What about the UES, W42'nd street, and central midtown towers? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just surprised.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:54 AM

The Village, Tribeca, SoHo and UWS are probably the most expensive, excluding the Gold Coast (Fifth and Park Avenues in the 60s and 70s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey