U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 AM

8,295 posts, read 18,248,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Robert Hahn actually quoted us $435, and then upon learning more upon the property (like the fact that it has no basement or attic, just a crawl space in one closet) changed it to $385..... seems like everything is negotiable in this inspection business!
$200 sounds even better! Does yours include termite & radon & appliances? Don't know how they arrive at these estimates...
No, and that's probably the reason for the discrepancy. We are going for mainly structural integrity: windows, foundation, roofing, etc. No radon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 AM

140 posts, read 487,426 times
I used Robert Hahn for my townhome inspection recently and he also charged $385. I was happy with his work and his report. But there was another thread on here with negative reviews on him.

He came recommended from my friend who also used him on their townhome.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM

861 posts, read 2,512,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post
I used Robert Hahn for my townhome inspection recently and he also charged $385. I was happy with his work and his report. But there was another thread on here with negative reviews on him.

He came recommended from my friend who also used him on their townhome.
Did he ask you to sign any type of waiver saying he was not responsible for damages missed?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 PM

140 posts, read 487,426 times
Quote:
Did he ask you to sign any type of waiver saying he was not responsible for damages missed?
I didn't sign a waiver

Old 09-28-2009, 03:02 PM

604 posts, read 1,852,894 times
That waiver many times is not clearly - separate signature required - delineated clause. They just ask you up front to go over a fine print agreement with quite a few paragraphs wherein they hold themselves responsible for missed damages to no more than the amount of the inspection fee (lol).

Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM

861 posts, read 2,512,497 times
Just to follow up ~ had our inspection with Robert Hahn today. He was awesome. He found a bunch of little things, and also feels our furnace needs to be replaced (it was inredibly rusted, and would not fire.) So I am bummed about that fact and worried about how the seller's are going to respond to it... but Rob was fantastic: there early, very thorough, kept us informed, seemed very knowledgable, and had our report online within 2 hours of the inspection. All together very pleased with him & would highly recommend him!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM

50 posts, read 165,159 times
Bad experience with Polo & Associates. He claims to have a lot of experience but during our inspection I had to constantly point the problems to him and the report was missing most of the major problems. (Not to mention his horrible temper)

Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 11,946 times
Choosing a home inspector based on price alone is a huge mistake. One should choose their inspector based on services, qualifications, experience, training and report quality, not fee. Are you hiring an over-qualified engineer or an under-qualified rookie?

As one already knows, buying a home is typically the single largest purchase of life time, so why would one quibble about price? Here's an example: price of home is $649,000. Home inspection fee, (including a radon test and WDI inspection) is $550.00, that's 0.84 % of the fee. Some of my clients have invested $385 to $650 for the same type of home, i.e. SFR.

Choose your inspector wisely by qualifying him, then it's time to pay the piper.

Peter W. Bennett, Owner
www.AFullHouseInspection.com

Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,706 times
Used Bob Hahn for an inspection and turned out to be extremely bad. Put a few things on the report but left out some major ones. If it's not on the report the buyer loses leverage.

Complained about his wife leaving him, etc, etc. But didn't focus on the job.
Didn't answer e-mails. When I posted a bad review he calls to complain.

Would not hire. Can't do the job.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,688 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone....
especially for the tip about refraining from signing a waiver.

We actually ended up cancelling Bret Kauffman and going with Robert Hahn of Family Building Inspectors: also ASHI accreditted, but quoted us $435 instead of $595.
What is your experience with Robert Hahn? I need a home inspector and he is on the list. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: