Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times

Advertisements

Hi, I grew up in northern NJ, moved out of state and am thinking of moving back. I'd really like to live at the shore year round, but the one thing stopping me is the idea that as a single person I'm not sure I can ever buy a house there

Is there a town for me?! I work from home except to travel to meetings, so job location isn't a factor. Money really is. I'm renting now but want to buy a house - it can be an 850 square foot house, as long as I have a yard for the dog.

I'm not crazy about suburbs really and if I could live anywhere it would be Montclair or Red Bank. Out of the question though....since I want to spend less than $200K and really less than $170K...

If buying isn't going to happen until I have zero other debt - where is good to rent with pets? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Here is a good article:

The Mid-Atlantic - CoastalLiving.com

Old 09-26-2009, 04:07 PM

220 posts, read 745,339 times
Try Ocean County. Toms River, Berkeley, Manahawkin area. Prices may be in your range. As always there are certain area of towns you may want to ignore. City Data has great info on individual towns.
Google is your friend., LOL

Old 09-26-2009, 06:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
I would also say the same areas as NJ LuLu.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:44 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,630 times
$200k would be very tough (in all honestly I think it would be damn near impossible) in any part of Toms River, especially if you're talking about a house rather than a condo. I'd say your best bet would be Berkeley Township, Lacey Township, Waretown, possibly Beachwood. You'd have to settle for something a little "inland" and probably an older ranch style home.

As far as living here at "the Shore" year round, that's great, but anything near the beach or the bayfront is going to cost you a ton. Even the "affordable" towns we've posted have some very, very expensive developments in them.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks guys - yeah that's what I suspected. I really just want to be within an hour's drive, but the closer the better - as a benny (hee) I wasn't sure of which area I'd want - certainly not the same areas I loved in my 20s!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Thanks guys - yeah that's what I suspected. I really just want to be within an hour's drive, but the closer the better - as a benny (hee) I wasn't sure of which area I'd want - certainly not the same areas I loved in my 20s!
If you're willing to drive an hour to the beach, geez, well your search area just got way bigger. Any of these towns will have you at a bayfront park in under 10 minutes and the ocean in about 20 or so, depending on traffic when said "bennies" are here during the season.

You may also want to consider Jackson Twp. It's woodsy, not incredibly close to the beach, but there are some good deals to be had there, and the construction is often newer than in other towns. Check Beachwood, too, as there are some deals around there and you're close to shopping in Toms River.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:22 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Most places in South Jersey will meet that requirement. While at the same time giving access to a major city (Philadelphia).

Old 09-27-2009, 02:44 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,361 times
You may be able to pick up a short sale for under $200k. It may be possible in Long Branch but not sure you'd feel comfortable here. Although it is close to Red Bank and beach.

Lots of multi family homes for rent also.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 AM

Yeah I revised my requirement to an hour after thinking it through :/

Thanks guys! I may need to rent for a while, hard with a doggie but we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey