Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Interesting change of heart from one of your "Mentor thread" posts and I quote:

"My advice is to learn how to live your life with a focus on things other than money, and learn how to enjoy life without a lot of money. If you end up making a lot of money, no problem, but if you don't (or you do but lose it quickly later) then you won't be or feel so "lost" without it".

Change "money" to "NJ"

My advice is to learn how to live your life with a focus on things other than NJ, and learn how to enjoy life without NJ. If you end up in NJ, no problem, but if you don't (or you do, but leave it quickly later) then you won't be or feel so "lost" without it.

I'm not feeling so "lost" now BCJ!
What "change" do you find interesting? My other post, in the other thread, was about money. This thread is about NJ. You took my other post and changed it; I didn't change anything.

And I believe that you don't feel so "lost" now that you live amongst those of your element.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Your math is really bad. 30x1500 is 45000, so that would be 85k. But the raises are generally going to be compounded geometrically. So you need:

40k * (1+ (1,500/40,000))^30 = 120k

But the "tons of money" isn't primarily about salary anyway. It's primarily retirement that costs the tax payer a fortune.

Teachers salaries are only part of the picture. Most of the costs of the school system don't end up in the teachers pocket.
OK...so under your plan teachers don't get a retirement plan ? Your really fooling yourself if you think the sad financial situation this state is in is due to teachers and police salaries and pensions........we've ALWAYS had teachers and police salaries and pensions since after WW2 but we had a balanced budget.....now EVERYONE spends more than they have including federal and local government and its become acceptable to operate at a deficit......the real culprits are the politicians who vote every year to operate under and unbalanced budget yet you wish to make teachers and police the scapegoats for irresponsible politicians who spend more than they have. We can't do that with our own personal finances.....if we don't have enough to pay our bills then something gets cut from our budget....period !!!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
What "change" do you find interesting? My other post, in the other thread, was about money. This thread is about NJ. You took my other post and changed it; I didn't change anything.

And I believe that you don't feel so "lost" now that you live amongst those of your element.

The change in sentiment!
What exactly is my "element"?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
No. The stupid ones are the ones who whine about not being able to afford it (and most of them can, in fact, afford it).
So......because someone can afford it but finds the taxes to be outrageous is stupid if he doesn't pay the outrageous amount without complaining ? Do you always pay whatever anyone asks ???

Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
So......those who have the intelligence to recognize they are paying way too much in taxes and either voice their opinion against it....or leave for reasonably taxed states are stupid......but those who stay and pay the highest property taxes of all 50 states while receiving similar municipal services compared to other states are smart ? Mr. Spocks Vulcan head would explode trying to understand that logic !!!
Those who think they are paying "way too much in taxes" are not smart, but stupid. You have to be stupid to think such a thing. It's no different from somebody voicing his opinion that we are charged far too much for filet mignon because you can get hamburger for a lot less.

So there is no such thing as someone with intelligence who thinks we "are paying way too much in taxes" in NJ. Only a selfish, money-worshiping idiot would think such a thing. Paying more doesn't always mean paying too much. I'd rather spend $100 bucks on a sculputure made of gold than pay $10 for a sculpture made of dog crap.

If people think NJ is too much, they should stop paying for gold and move to where they can pay less and get dog crap in return. North Carolina seems to be the most popular dog crap state these days, along with Tennessee.

What's keeping you from moving, anyway? You bark a lot and moan and whine, but here you are, still in NJ... What's stopping you? Oh yeah, I forgot - people who whine and moan about how NJ sucks but still live here just do it because they're miserable, stupid humps that have no rational reason for whining, and their actions betray their whining.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM

300 posts, read 913,920 times
This topic has been discussed numerous times and I have seen it get diverted to other talk by some posters who wont acknowledge a problem, instead try to distract,
the problem is crystal clear and solution is obvious.

high property tax, why it is high ? average town spends 60% of the tax on education, 20% gives to county and 20% to town services which includes cops

so naturally the way to fix this is by reducing the biggest chunk which is school budget, how to accomplish this ?

- double class size and fire half of the teachers
- convert schools to summer camp during summer months so teachers wont have extended vacation and schools will get more revenue
- within a school district have just one superintendent take care of all the schools

If all other states can teach a child with fractions of cost then what is different for New Jersey.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The change in sentiment!
What exactly is my "element"?
What change in sentiment?

Your element is the other ex-NJ'ans who think as you do.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
No. The stupid ones are the ones who whine about not being able to afford it (and most of them can, in fact, afford it).
What you call "whining" I call expressing a negative opinion about many in NJ getting priced out of their homes.

I can afford to pay 6.00 a gallon for gasoline without having to miss a road trip or buy an economy car.

That doesn't mean I won't voice my displeasure at doing so if and when the time comes.

You repeatedly trash every poster (remember the "douchebag" comment) that provides an article on NJ's tax waste, hostility to the private sector, the fleeing citizens and so on.

Why do you take it so personally? Are you on the public payroll?

You can't have a successful state that is made of prisoners, public workers and welfare recipients

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Those who think they are paying "way too much in taxes" are not smart, but stupid. You have to be stupid to think such a thing. It's no different from somebody voicing his opinion that we are charged far too much for filet mignon because you can get hamburger for a lot less.

So there is no such thing as someone with intelligence who thinks we "are paying way too much in taxes" in NJ. Only a selfish, money-worshiping idiot would think such a thing. Paying more doesn't always mean paying too much. I'd rather spend $100 bucks on a sculputure made of gold than pay $10 for a sculpture made of dog crap.

If people think NJ is too much, they should stop paying for gold and move to where they can pay less and get dog crap in return. North Carolina seems to be the most popular dog crap state these days, along with Tennessee.

What's keeping you from moving, anyway? You bark a lot and moan and whine, but here you are, still in NJ... What's stopping you? Oh yeah, I forgot - people who whine and moan about how NJ sucks but still live here just do it because they're miserable, stupid humps that have no rational reason for whining, and their actions betray their whining.
It isn't a matter of gold or dog crap! You seem content to pay the $100 for the gold-painted dog crap sculpture, while the rest of us think the $10 dog crap sculpture is a relative bargain! Truth is, they both stink, but now I have $90 more in my wallet than you do. Hope you find your money well spent!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
NJ property taxes are not hurting my way of life. The huge salary increase I make in NJ vs other states is so great that I come out way ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey