Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 AM

238 posts, read 729,082 times

Advertisements

Would the homeowner go to jail if the intruder gets killed? Since the second amendment has been so battered as of late, I hardly know what would be the outcome. Recently, a friend of the family got killed along her daughter by former boyfriend. While the incident was taking place inside the house, the father of the victim heard a gun shot. He took a shotgun and later the former boyfriend of the victim and the father of the victims shot each other. Fortunately, the boyfriend died on the spot, and the old man survived, but now he is facing charges for ilegal posession of a firearm. This happened in the state of New York, but I know Jersey's laws are very close when it comes to firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 10:18 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Just get a dog.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:18 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
you could also get a paint ball gun and pepperballs!! no permit required

or check these guys out.
PepperBall Technologies Incorporated | Home

Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 AM

744 posts, read 1,406,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
Would the homeowner go to jail if the intruder gets killed? Since the second amendment has been so battered as of late, I hardly know what would be the outcome. Recently, a friend of the family got killed along her daughter by former boyfriend. While the incident was taking place inside the house, the father of the victim heard a gun shot. He took a shotgun and later the former boyfriend of the victim and the father of the victims shot each other. Fortunately, the boyfriend died on the spot, and the old man survived, but now he is facing charges for ilegal posession of a firearm. This happened in the state of New York, but I know Jersey's laws are very close when it comes to firearms.
New Jersey is a Castle Law State (though there are some silly restrictions) so you can shoot an intruder instead of having to cower and retreat.

Of course if you are illegally possessing the firearm you'll still be up for that, which appears to be you example above. The father isn't up on murder charges, just possession charges after all.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
As the other poster said, he's not charged with anything having to do with the act of shooting the intruder, just possession of the firearm. While New Jersey's take on the second amendment is most certainly an utter disgrace and borderline unconstitutional, it's not quite as bad as New York's. Also, there are some very prominent prosecutors and politicians in New York (city and state) that are rabidly anti-gun and will at least try to prosecute anyone for something when a shot is fired.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 AM

22 posts, read 88,423 times
Thank you for your advice - don't think I can buy/own a gun as I am not a US citizen. I also have home security system, and wanted to have something available to me rather than noting if a burglar decides to intrude even with the alarm blaring. Or do you think in those cases they would invariably have a gun. I figure that, if I can "disable" him and buy a few minutes, hopefully cops will be there. Of course if the burglar has a gun then pepper spray won't do anything.

Re: not using pepper sprays indoors - would pepper gel be a better choice then?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Mossberg 500? That's a quality firearm and all, but for basic home defense (especially in the middle of the night when I'm stumbling up from bed after being asleep) a small handgun is what I prefer.
generally the shotgun is considered best because it is 1. doesnt overpenetrate (go through a wall and kill an innocent bystander or maybe your child), 2. uses a spray of buck which doesnt require as much accuracy 3. plenty of stopping power 4. is scary.

could you imagine spraying someone who has broken into your home with pepper spray? you would have to be crazy to put your life (and the life of your family) in the hands of pepper spray.

if you dont want a weapon then a german shepherd or rottweiler will probably deter someone from breaking into your home.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:19 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Another idea is to make your bedroom (or big closet) into a safe room. As long as the burgler doesnt burn the house down around you, your safe. Let him take whetever he wants. Insurance will cover it.

"I" will keep my illegal shotgun at the ready and hope I will never have to use it.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Another idea is to make your bedroom (or big closet) into a safe room. As long as the burgler doesnt burn the house down around you, your safe. Let him take whetever he wants. Insurance will cover it.

"I" will keep my illegal shotgun at the ready and hope I will never have to use it.
its pretty easy to get a shotgun legally. would still keep the illegal ones just in case you need to have off the books guns.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 PM

238 posts, read 729,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
New Jersey is a Castle Law State (though there are some silly restrictions) so you can shoot an intruder instead of having to cower and retreat.

Of course if you are illegally possessing the firearm you'll still be up for that, which appears to be you example above. The father isn't up on murder charges, just possession charges after all.
Certainly, that was the case. He was charged for illegal possesion of a weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey