Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:46 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times

Advertisements

glock nine with hollow points under the pillow, 125 lb. german shepard sleeping next to my bed and being a black belt makes me sleep just fine. Save your money on the pepper spray and use a large kitchen knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM

232 posts, read 612,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
New Jersey is a Castle Law State (though there are some silly restrictions) so you can shoot an intruder instead of having to cower and retreat.
Not too sure what a "Castle Law" state is but you CANNOT just shoot any intruder unless your life, or someone else's, is in danger.

You come home and see someone ransacking your house, they run towards the back door as you walk in, (or even run towards you without showing a weapon) and you shoot them in the back as they're running out the door...........expect to spend 10-20 as someone's bit$h.

To the OP..........Kimber PepperBlaster - Less Lethal Self Defense Personal Protection

Old 10-05-2009, 10:09 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
You come home and see someone ransacking your house, they run towards the back door as you walk in, (or even run towards you without showing a weapon) and you shoot them in the back as they're running out the door...........expect to spend 10-20 as someone's bit$h.
if they are running towards you then why would you shoot them in the back and why would you not shoot even if they dont have a weapon? you have a gun and they dont so you are obligated to wrestle with the person?

theres no way im wrestling someone in my house if i have a gun pointed at them.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if they are running towards you then why would you shoot them in the back and why would you not shoot even if they dont have a weapon? you have a gun and they dont so you are obligated to wrestle with the person?
Welcome to NJ.....................

You could put a hole in his chest as he is running towards you but agian, expect charges and jail time. You cannot just shoot an intruder. You must feel your life is in danger, or someone else's. Would be a tough arguement to say "I saw someone running at me, I didn't see a weapon, so I put two shells in him".

Old 10-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Would be a tough arguement to say "I saw someone running at me, I didn't see a weapon, so I put two shells in him".
really? so what are you supposed to do?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:08 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
SowerCleaver,

Pepper spray is for personal defense...it won't really do much for home defense. Pepper spray is only effective if it's at the ready, in your hand. If it's in a drawer in your nightstand...it's useless. It doesn't hurt to get some, though, since it only costs about $25 and is easy to get.

I don't know what your exact situation is (e.g. your past experiences; where you live; maybe you're a prominent person in your circle; maybe you have a lot valuables in your house), but, in general, I think you'll be fine with a home security system. The best defense is to keep intruders out of your house in the first place, which is what a good home security system is supposed to do.

I don't think you absolutely have to go out and get a gun. If you are a gun enthusiast and are comfortable and knowledgeable about firearms, that's one thing. But if you've never handled a firearm before, and now want to get one out of paranoia? Is that really the best idea or solution?

I've lived in NJ for 32 years. I have lots of family members that have lived in NJ for decades as well...in Essex, Bergen, Hudson, Morris, Salem, Monmouth and Union counties. None of us have ever been the victims of home invasion or burglary. Not even when my immediate family lived in the Greenville section of Jersey City.

But if someone did break in...even if I did own a gun...how would that help prevent a home invasion? They're in the house. It's done. And if I wake up, face to face with the intruder, how is my gun going to help if it's locked in the gun safe, at the back of the closet? It's not like I'd be sleeping with it under my pillow.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
But if someone did break in...even if I did own a gun...how would that help prevent a home invasion? They're in the house. It's done. And if I wake up, face to face with the intruder, how is my gun going to help if it's locked in the gun safe, at the back of the closet? It's not like I'd be sleeping with it under my pillow.
its not supposed to be locked in the gun safe at the back of the closet. it needs to be loaded and easily accessible. there are gun safes available with locks that open with your fingerprint.

i agree that keeping them out in the first place is critical. an alarm is good, a dog is good, good locks are all good. but if someone has the thought of killing you, then those things are basically a warning system so you have a few seconds to get your gun.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
really? so what are you supposed to do?
There are other options besides putting a few bullets in him.

I'm not advising what to do, just making a point to my earlier post that there are very few scenarios where you will not be charged for shooting an intruder in your home in NJ.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
There are other options besides putting a few bullets in him.

I'm not advising what to do, just making a point to my earlier post that there are very few scenarios where you will not be charged for shooting an intruder in your home in NJ.
im assuming that you dont agree with this because it seems insane.

however, i dont really know what your other options are. you cant possibly be expected to wrestle with the criminal or run out of your house and hope he doesnt catch you. if the person holding the gun is a woman, i wouldnt even expect her to wait for the person to run towards her.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
im assuming that you dont agree with this because it seems insane.

however, i dont really know what your other options are. you cant possibly be expected to wrestle with the criminal or run out of your house and hope he doesnt catch you. if the person holding the gun is a woman, i wouldnt even expect her to wait for the person to run towards her.
Your first, and most obvious option is to hold them until police arrive. You can certainly draw your weapon and tell the intruder to lie face down until help arrives, nothing wrong with drawing a weapon. Please remember my original post though, you cannot "willy nilly" shoot anyone who has broken into your home. If you surprise an intruder and he clearly appears to be fleeing from the home and is not a direct threat to you, then you have no legal standing in NJ to justifiably shoot him. Charges WILL be brought against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey