Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:38 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times

Advertisements

Where do you people live, the wild west?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Where do you people live, the wild west?
most of us live in new jersey. others once lived in new jersey but come back to this forum to say how much new jersey sucks.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
most of us live in new jersey. others once lived in new jersey but come back to this forum to say how much new jersey sucks.
Oh, right, it's all the whiners...

Is crime such a problem where you live that guns and pepper spray are so important to go on and on about? Where I live, crime isn't a problem. I've never needed guns or pepper spray.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Is crime such a problem where you live that guns and pepper spray are so important to go on and on about? Where I live, crime isn't a problem. I've never needed guns or pepper spray.
crime doesnt have to be such a big problem for you to want to be prepared in case something happens.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
Quote:

Hey, that's nice. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM

232 posts, read 612,717 times
Quote:
you are saying if your gun is pointed at them, they charge you, you are supposed to try to grab them and hold onto them until police arrive? what if you havent called the police?

just so i understand where this is coming from, are you saying the rules are crazy or are you saying that you personally dont think people should be allowed to shoot intruders even if they charge towards them?

I think we are talking two different scenarios. My point is to try to clarrify when a person is able to defend himself (in this discussion shooting an intruder) WITHOUT charges being brought against him. In NJ, you must feel yours or someone else's life is in danger before you can put a few shells in someone. In the instance I was creating, the homeowners life is never in danger. If he were to shoot the intruder, EXPECT charges against him. NJ does not allow you to just blast someone who is not putting your life in danger.

In Amazonas case, clearly there were lives in danger and thus a justifiable shooting. No charges should be brought.

And I am not saying I support or condemn these laws, just trying to provide some clarrity on justifiable shootings against home intruders. There are states that do allow you to shoot anyone who has entered your home without waiting for them to put your life in danger and that shooting would be justifiable in that state. Unfortunately, NJ is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
If you are a homeowner and someone breaks in, you are not going to be charged with murder. Not unless you go way overboard or some kind of gang member...
GRF, you are out of your mind if you think you can simply murder anyone who breaks into your home and it will be a justifiable murder. You come home at night, see a figure dashing through your livingroom, you blow his brains out without him threatening you then discover it was a neighbor's kid stealing liquor??

Expect a boyfriend for 10 -20 years Bro !!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
And I am not saying I support or condemn these laws, just trying to provide some clarrity on justifiable shootings against home intruders. There are states that do allow you to shoot anyone who has entered your home without waiting for them to put your life in danger and that shooting would be justifiable in that state. Unfortunately, NJ is not one of them.
but somewhere i believe you said that even if someone runs at you, you cant shoot them. to me, someone who broke into my house running at me is a situation where my life is in danger and i have to shoot.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SowerCleaver View Post
Does anyone own pepper sprays for home defense purposes? I recently moved to a suburban single house and just want to be prepared. I'm not that athletic, so a baseball bat/golf club doesn't seem to be a good option.

Looks like there are a few varieties to choose from - spray type, gel type and pepper gun, etc. I'd appreciate it if you could share your experiences/recommendations.
Pepper spray, in my opinion, is a good defense for a person who is chased by a dog.. Tear gas will do the trick for home defense but never spray it against a fan. Also tear gas will really tear you up after the ruccus is over because it is very strong.....

I would see about a personal defense weapon such as a stun gun that tosses a projectile but what if the intruder has a coat on? It may not go through the coat. Your next choice is the gun. A small handgun will do the trick such as a 22 Magnum....In Florida there are plenty of very small 22 guns that fit in the palm of a person's hand. Look into that but also you may want to obtain a "Right to Carry" permit. Just be very careful and when you go through the full course you will also need to go to a range to find out the feel of the weapon...Ya never know you may enjoy firing the weapon as a sport.

We Vietnam Vets in S Florida go to the gun range every 2 weeks to have fun....

Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
but somewhere i believe you said that even if someone runs at you, you cant shoot them. to me, someone who broke into my house running at me is a situation where my life is in danger and i have to shoot.
That would be for the Grand Jury to decide. You would have to prove you felt your life was in danger. Was the intruder screaming "I'm going to kill you" as he lunged for you or was he merely running towards a side door (trying to flee the house) that you happened to be standing near? GJ would have to make that determination to press charges or not. Again, the point being you cannot shoot an intruder in your house regardless of the situation and expect it to be justifiable. Most times, charges are brought.

Seen many cases in the news where a cop shot someone he "thought" had a waepon and didn't. Sometimes charges are pressed and sometimes not.

An average homeowner doesn't always get the same benefit of the doubt from the legal system.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
you may want to obtain a "Right to Carry" permit.
Never happen in NJ, NOT a "right to carry" state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey