Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 18,714 times

Advertisements

My husband, 6 year old daughter and I will be leaving on a cruise out of cape liberty cruise port in june. We are coming a few days before the cruise leaves and will be doing a little sightseeing in new york city. Where is a safe place to stay in newark or near the cruise port? How do we get into new york city for sightseeing safely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 01:54 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
There are many hotel/motels in Secaucus. Not a scenic area but convenient and safe with buses to NYC.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 18,714 times
Thanks for the info. How far is Secaucus from Newark Airport?

Old 05-04-2007, 02:01 PM

133 posts, read 713,001 times
Safe and Newark dont really go hand in hand, lol

Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyshop1 View Post
I don't recommend Secaucus if you're leaving from Bayonne. No direct way to get to the cruise port from there. Instead, I'd look at the Newport area in Jersey City. Quick PATH ride to the city, and a short cab ride to the cruise. There's a Doubletree and Courtyard you can check out.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:09 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
My husband, 6 year old daughter and I will be leaving on a cruise out of cape liberty cruise port in june. We are coming a few days before the cruise leaves and will be doing a little sightseeing in new york city. Where is a safe place to stay in newark or near the cruise port? How do we get into new york city for sightseeing safely?
airports near the airport are reasonably safe,however I wouldn't go wandering the streets looking for a pack of smokes at night.

If you are arriving a few days early why don't you shoot the works and stay in NYC, do a little searching and you'll be aboe to find a hotel for not too much more than it will cost to stay in Newark. Another idea is get a place in Jersey City on the waterfront, you can take the PATH train to midtown in about 15 minute and you'd be less than 30 minutes from the cruise port in Bayonne.

There is next to nothing to do in Newark and spending more than a night there is cruel an unusual

Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it is under 15 miles. You can look online but it would be cheaper to stay there than in Manhattan or waterfront areas. I think that some of the hotels include NYC shuttle or at least they used to.
There is the #85 bus that goes from Harmon Meadows/Mill Creek (a big shopping area in Secaucus) to the PATH train in Hoboken. It runs pretty late I think and the Path takes you into the city 24/7. Also Hoboken is cool to walk around and check out and a nice place to stay but probably expensive these days as far as hotels go.

Most people who stay at the airport hotels rent a car. Many of those people are on business and so it makes sense to stay at the airport. If you are on vacation you have better options -some cheaper than others. The hotels in Secaucus will save you money and would be kid friendly as well.

Last edited by cyntmac; 05-04-2007 at 04:26 PM..

Old 05-04-2007, 04:54 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
If you stay in Newark or secaucus getting into NYC will be very easy. From Newark you can use the PATH train which runs 24/7 and is 1.50 one way. If you stay in Secaucus you can take a train from the Secaucus Junction into NYC which is probably about 3 dollars each way. If you stay in downtown Newark you should be fine just like someone earlier said dont wander out into the streets real late. And if you stay in Secaucus you can walk around screaming and nothin will happen to you.(people will probably be afraid of you)

Old 05-05-2007, 12:16 PM

31 posts, read 225,730 times
You can also stay at the Hilton in Newark which is right across from Newark Penn Station (train or PATH into NYC)... and just blocks away from NYPAC, and the Ironbound Section (yummy yummy food).

Secaucus, you will have to rely on taxis or shuttle buses to get you to the train station since it's in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!! But you will probably get a pretty decent deal on hotels. Just realize that once you are there, there's nothing around the hotels 'cept for highways in order to get to the Olive garden, etc. (that's how that school mascot got runover).

Old 05-05-2007, 12:32 PM

You can actually walk to the bus-which stops where the shopping and hotels are and it is not far from NYC at all. With a six year old it makes sense to consider Secaucus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey