Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylooking View Post
Thanks all for the replies. will look into montclair, but what about hackensack and ridgefield park... are those nice areas or not really? does anyone know.

my husband wants to be as close to the city as possible, and i want a nice downtown, shopping, activities as possible so i dont get bored, since i have never even been to those towns i dont know what to look for.

Nice downtown with shopping - ok, you're moving to the NY Metropolitan area if you move anywhere from 287/78 and east - there is shopping everywhere. You want an upscale mall? Livingston. Great downtown for shopping: Montclair, Morristown. Regular Malls - Paramus.

As close to the city as possible - what part of the city? downtown, midtown, uptown? Downtown? You've got Bayonne, Jersey City
Midtown? Rutherford

See, there are 3 ways into Manhattan - more if you count the ferries. How are you getting there? Drive, bus, train, Path (the tubes)? Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Geo. Washington Bridge. Each dumps you into a specific part of Manhattan (the city). Holland is south, downtown, streets with names - the Village, SoHo, Wall Street. Buses, Path, drive; Lincoln is Midtown, Port Authority, numbered streets - driving, Path, train, bus; GWB is Uptown - bus, drive. Each of those river crossings is accessed from a different location in Jersey. So to be "near the city as possible, you have to identify which part of the city. Manhattan is a long skinny island.

If he will be in Midtown, my option would be Rutherford. It's got great rail service. You'd be close to the mall in Secaucus, Paramus, and easy to get to Livingston Mall. There's shopping all along Ridge Road, right near Routes 3 and 17 with easy drive to 46, 80, Tpke, GSP.

But you really need to take a look at a map (mapquest, maps.google.com, yahoo) and figure out where he will be in Manhattan and then draw a circle around the part of Jersey nearest to his "crossing". No matter where you live, you will be near a mall or 2 or 4, and to good "downtown" type shopping. That part of Jersey is not like your "country" living where you have to go "to town" or "to downtown" to shop - everywhere is downtown and downtown is no more than 5 minutes from your door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 31,007 times
Westfield is right on point. All you need to do is drive the town to fall in love with it. Then drive Kimberly Road and you will love it.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:59 AM

13 posts, read 29,270 times
If someone said Westfield and Summit, you would no doubt also like Montclair or Ridgewood, in Bergen County. These are towns, with real downtowns, independent shops and restaurants, lovely parks and tree lined streets, mostly developed in the 20s and 30s with few McMansions, ranches or split levels.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:04 PM

11 posts, read 29,987 times
Don't forget Hoboken if you don't mind living in a apartment especially if you friends live in Manhatten.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 AM

129 posts, read 380,480 times
I wouldn't go for Hackensack, but Summit has a train that goes into NYC and is a great town with LOTS to offer.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,038 times
Looking at areas close to Somerset NJ, I would like to find a house for rent with a good size garage. I have a decent income but I would like to find something reasonable. Any ideas what areas I should look?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiame63 View Post
Looking at areas close to Somerset NJ, I would like to find a house for rent with a good size garage. I have a decent income but I would like to find something reasonable. Any ideas what areas I should look?
What is your price range? And what type of "feel" you want? Urban or suburban? And do you need public education? You can look at New, North or South Brunswick, Piscataway or even the more remote sections of Franklin Twp like Griggstown or Franklin Park.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 AM

22 posts, read 85,493 times
Princeton, New Jersey is a community located in Mercer County, New Jersey, United States that is my favorite. This is mainly a college area but you can enjoy a lot there. You will find all facilities like shopping , Theater and parks.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey