Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM

835 posts, read 1,180,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
that does not surprise me one little bit.
This is exactly what i was talking about with the cutting your nose off to spite your face. If newark were to pick itself up......................... Wait for it........................... Wait for it....................... It would not need your tax money!!!!!!!!!!
You just want to dislike the city of newark for reasons that are quite obvious to anyone who has seem your posts.
ding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:53 PM

835 posts, read 1,180,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Booker seems to have A LOT of free time on his hands.....
And since when does his "jurisdiction" spread to the entire state anyway?
I get that it's just a joke, but is he really in a position to sit around playing jokes all day?
That probably took a whole 15 minutes to do, compared to all the time sharpe james spent boning his mistress and giving away land in newark below market price at the cost of tax payers

Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
What upsets me about the residents of my beloved Garden State is you cut your noses off to spite your face.
All the Repubs constantly complain about dumping tax money into Newark. You hate that Newark has a high volume of crime & poverty. When someone comes along with a passion to change all of that, you cut him down as well.
Booker is attempting to gain national exposure for Newark. Like another poster said, to obtain investment for the city.
Cory Booker is the best asset Newark has. Why not show it off?
He will go on Conan & espouse the virtues of NWK, its reduction in crime, its great location for business relocation, ect, ect.
How could Booker being in the national spotlight be a bad thing for Newark? He already said he's running for another term.
Some of you really are depressing, negative individuals.
It seems totally obvious to me that this is what the mayor is doing. And do you really think Booker posts his own tweets and FB status updates? Really? Come on, peeps, he's got people for that. He's taken a page out of Obama's campaign strategy with the intertubes. Just to make it clear, he is not doing so to campaign for himself, but rather to campaign for Newark, a city about which he seems to sincerely care. Really, we should be happy that Newark has a mayor who cares and is trying to fix things--he's smart.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:37 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times
Quote:
What upsets me about the residents of my beloved Garden State is you cut your noses off to spite your face.
All the Repubs constantly complain about dumping tax money into Newark. You hate that Newark has a high volume of crime & poverty.
Well, I am upset that we dump so much money into Newark (and the other cities like it). However, I don't think I've ever complained about crime and poverty in Newark. Quite frankly, I don't really care about Newark. I have absolutely no reason to ever go there, and if the people of that city really wanted to change things for the better, they probably could. But the values and the "want" isn't there to do it - the people would rather complain about the police, deal drugs, have kids they can't afford.

The only reason most people in this state talk about Newark is because it's the symbol of the horrid urban areas of this state that are bleeding us dry as they remain horrid.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ
what does that mean? it was posted on youtube where it gets exposure to countless millions. it wasnt made with a handycam. i wonder how much money was spent on the video and who paid for it.

and why are you calling me a dude? i thought people stopped using that word.
Any bloke, with a video cam, can make a video and post it on Youtube....where it can be exposed to millions-that's the point.

Yeah, me calling you "dude" and you get hung-up over it. Sounds just as nice as one hand clapping.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Well, I am upset that we dump so much money into Newark (and the other cities like it). However, I don't think I've ever complained about crime and poverty in Newark. Quite frankly, I don't really care about Newark. I have absolutely no reason to ever go there, and if the people of that city really wanted to change things for the better, they probably could. But the values and the "want" isn't there to do it - the people would rather complain about the police, deal drugs, have kids they can't afford.

The only reason most people in this state talk about Newark is because it's the symbol of the horrid urban areas of this state that are bleeding us dry as they remain horrid.
I can see you truly are a scholar of Socioeconomics & the like. This post is a nugget of wisdom from beginning to end.
The problems of the inner city become your problem, one way or the other (taxes, actual crime, ect). You are only as strong as your weakest link. This holds true for states as well.
The entire state would do itself a favor by taking an interest in our inner cities.
Truth be told...................... They are the key to NJ's future growth economically. Young professionals are taking a new look at urban areas. They will bring there wealth & tax dollars with them. Corporations follow the intellectual well.
"Quite Frankly", you can't see the forest from the trees my friend.
Your bias (and those of your ilk) are shooting yourselves in the foot. Then again, I think you like Newark JUST THE WAY IT IS. It fits your view of the world. As long as you can blame NWK & "Them", everything is just fine.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
The problems of the inner city become your problem, one way or the other (taxes, actual crime, ect). You are only as strong as your weakest link. This holds true for states as well.
The entire state would do itself a favor by taking an interest in our inner cities.
Truth be told...................... They are the key to NJ's future growth economically. Young professionals are taking a new look at urban areas. They will bring there wealth & tax dollars with them. Corporations follow the intellectual well.
"Quite Frankly", you can't see the forest from the trees my friend.
Your bias (and those of your ilk) are shooting yourselves in the foot. Then again, I think you like Newark JUST THE WAY IT IS. It fits your view of the world. As long as you can blame NWK & "Them", everything is just fine.
Yes, people should care. Isn't the tri-state full of examples of areas that have truly been renewed? If it worked in those places, it can work in others. Of course it will take time, but anything worthwhile does. The trick is to continue to provide affordable housing to the working poor so that they can continue to live in those areas. One thing people who always complain about how "city X will never be the same as it was [in some prelapsarian era]" don't realize is that that in and of itself is not the problem. It's true that Newark will probably never be what it was before the 1970s. But that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be good. It could be its own improved thing. From driving through there recently, I can see the renewal that is being attempted (first time was a few months ago when I was looking for a place to live--driving through town from I-80 to 1/9 to find my hotel room which was right south of the airport. The second time was off of 78 a few days ago when I listened to my boyfriend instead of the GPS and got off at the wrong place by the airport).

Last edited by diva360; 10-01-2009 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: forgot to say where I was in Newark

Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,640 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZSSBUWJm0o

Old 10-02-2009, 07:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
That does NOT surprise me one little bit.
This is exactly what I was talking about with the cutting your nose off to spite your face. If Newark were to pick itself up......................... Wait for it........................... Wait for it....................... It would not need your tax money!!!!!!!!!!
You just want to dislike the city of Newark for reasons that are quite obvious to anyone who has seem your posts.
newark isnt my nose or my face. it can prosper and it can suffer and i couldnt really care less. however, it should do either one with money from its own residents.

i dont know if its really accurate to say i dislike newark. i dont care about newark. my outside opinion of it though, is that its a crime ridden cesspool that i would never want to step foot in (except the airport).

Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Cory Booker needs to stop wasting time on the interwebz and concentrate on running Newark. This guy has a corybooker.com website, a corybooker blog, a corybooker Twitter, a corybooker Facebook, a corybooker YouTube channel...and they are ALL updated regularly. In fact, he twitters (tweets?) constantly!

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a City Data account. I bet he's secretly a regular here, and we don't know it.

Seriously, Cory Booker...you are the Mayor of Newark...not some nobody sitting in the middle of a cubicle farm. You shouldn't be wasting all this time on the internet. Get back to work, slacker!
Booker? I thought that was Ray Nagan, NO's less-than-worthless mayor.

Good to see uselessness spreading throughout the land, from sea to shining sea.

Do not mistake this as an O'brien cheer. IMO he's as unfunny as they get. How anyone can call him a comedian shows how far we've sunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey