Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,371 times

Advertisements

Today, we turned on the heat for the first time this fall (also got laid off from work today ). It has been chilly the last couple of days.

Have you turned on the heat yet in your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,183 times
I also had to turn it on tonight. House was 59 degrees . I can't remember the last time I has to turn the heat on this early in the season. Anything below 60 degrees is a little hard to live with.

Sorry to hear that you were laid off.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:01 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
So sorry to hear your job news.... hang in there, lots of good resources on this board and people to give you good advice!

Our heat kicked on last night too. Brrrr! Supposed to warm up a tad this weekend though.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
So sorry about your job loss, Palm.

Happily, my landlord turned on the heat today. I was a little cold last night, and since my apartment is on the first floor and thus colder, and since heat is included in my rent and I don't control the thermostat, I was worried that she was going to wait longer .

I recently moved from Texas, and was wondering when you usually have to turn your heat on here in the fall? I'm hoping that it will be a mild winter for my partner's sake, who has only ever lived in TX. (I've lived in MN and WI, so once I adjust I'll be able to deal. Nothing like a Great Lakes area winter, especially near the big lakes). And it does get kind of cold in TX, with Dec. Jan. and Feb. temps in the 35-60 range. It goes back and forth, but it can be around freezing for a week at a time.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,749 times
Sorry to hear about you being laid off, PalmBch! >__< Hopefully, you can find a better job somewhere else (and yes, lots of us will be more than happy to help you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Happily, my landlord turned on the heat today. I was a little cold last night, and since my apartment is on the first floor and thus colder, and since heat is included in my rent and I don't control the thermostat, I was worried that she was going to wait longer .

I recently moved from Texas, and was wondering when you usually have to turn your heat on here in the fall? I'm hoping that it will be a mild winter for my partner's sake, who has only ever lived in TX. (I've lived in MN and WI, so once I adjust I'll be able to deal. Nothing like a Great Lakes area winter, especially near the big lakes). And it does get kind of cold in TX, with Dec. Jan. and Feb. temps in the 35-60 range. It goes back and forth, but it can be around freezing for a week at a time.
Actually, I don't remember it getting this cold in the fall either. O.o Last year, we still had temps in the 70s and 60s until December (except for some who did get early snow in certain parts of the state). Right now, we are below average for this time of year. The temps will rise later this week, but hmmm... I wonder if the El Nino thing is coming true, indeed? Rather wait and see what happens, because weather can be predictable and unpredictable.

And don't worry! >D We get less snow than the Great Lakes. Our winters are mostly mild, although, there are some people out there who are blowing it out of proportion. Chances of having major blizzards is at this point, rare. Last real one was in the mid 90s when snow was a lot more. For some odd reason, the 2000s has given us less snow so I'm kind of disappointed.

(And for the record, our own heat got turned on before I posted this. O__o Bizarre...)

Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
I was away Wed nite but got home yesterday and turned the heat on last nite as it got cold.

I too am unemployed and there are threads on here that may help you. I'm on the last extension, still looking for work. Another extension is in the works. Good Luck

Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
I haven't done it yet. My house was 62 when I left this morning, it was 37 outside. Might have to turn it on tonight or tomorrow morining if it gets down as cold tonight.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Right now at 7:30 it's 42 degrees!
That was unexpected comparing it to the forecast, and the time of month.

But i'm a weirdo in this situation because i cracked my window.. I like this type of weather

Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,815 times
yea i turned on my heat and my electric blanket..i cant stand getting into a cold bed,i turn on the electric blanket about an hour before i go to bed..

Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM

259 posts, read 662,478 times
Had to turn on the heat last night. What do some of you set your thermostat too? I have it at 68
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey