Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Lived in NJ for 45 years left in 2006 down to North carolina. Sorry but Warren County NJ has this place here in NC beat by a mile. Its different down here. Backward thinking. Myopic religious bible belt. No real culture. Miss NYC and Philly. Oh well its also not much cheaper.
I visited alot of the state of NC, felt the same way, did like the Ralley Durham area but that was for vacation and a short visit. I really to be honest could not live in NC. I am the one on the forum who is complaining all the time about the hillbillies in NW , NJ so could image in NC??

It is backwards thinking, for example I went a visited a beautiful little town in NC called Murphy nc. Its all mountains and a lot of bible thumpers. This is the town where the people are really into that bible stuff!!!! However this is also the town where they let and helped, HELPED that guy Rudy the abortion doctor killer ! SO that to me is pretty damn backwards!

Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,418 times
San Diego.

If I had a job there and had no family ties here I would move to San Diego.

But that's the only place I would leave NJ for in the U.S.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,785,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
San Diego.

If I had a job there and had no family ties here I would move to San Diego.

But that's the only place I would leave NJ for in the U.S.
Ah, yes... San Diago. Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diago, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Seriously, I can see why you would; I would, too, under the right circumstances, at least for just a few years. They have almost perfect weather year-round. It's a beautiful city with plenty to offer. I loved working in San Diego. I prefer Los Angeles, but I could enjoy San Diego as well.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
To the people who actually moved out of NJ, is it better? Not is your bills better I could care less about bills and tax my question is where is a better option of a place like a NJ that a person can get used to and where the adjustment not be too harsh? Curious as to why its better excluding money reasons. When you go outside lets say 20 miles in each direction is it just as good??? Problem I find is I may like many other places and towns but 20 -25 miles outside that town it sucks. Basically you breeze thru the town your nice area and have crap everywhere else. Can you name that perfect place??

actually I just saw a similar post down below so pass this up sorry!!! I will read first!!!!
For most of them it's purely money reasons. Just look where they move to - NC, GA, TN, etc... As someone who despises hillbillies, you know very well they aren't moving to those places because they're particularly nice; they're moving because of money.

I think it depends on what a person wants/needs. I have a friend who lives in Westwood with his wife and kids. He never, ever goes to NYC. He hates it. He wants his home to be his castle which he never has to leave. He likes to visit his old college friends in PA and MD, but that's it; he doesn't like to eat out or go out, except to buy more toys for his home. I've often suggested to him to move to South Jersey, but he's one of these lazy types who wants his NYC area salary wherever he would move to. He could have transferred within his company to NC, and he wanted to, but they were going to cut his pay so he didn't. But, he would have been happier. He'd be making less but also paying less for a home and taxes, but his home would be huge there.

So, for people who just want a big home and a lot of toys, they'd move to the "Triangle" of North Carolina, or the Atlanta area, or even Nashville area or Charlotte, or whatever the new migration destination is for "cheap". Really, the suburbs just about anywhere are an option. St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnnati, Louisville, Lansing, Indianapolis....anywhere will be cheaper.

All those places are good for people like my friend, who don't care about the city or the country or the beach or the mountains. All they care about is nice big home, lots of toys, "cheap" stores like WalMart and Costco, and tons of other big-box retail for their shopping for more toys (preferably on sale or cheap). My friend would be in heaven with a bigger home, like a 5 or 6 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage home, within 10 minutes of a Paramus-on-steroids big-box mecca where he can putter around Home Depot, Walmart, etc. and where his wife can shop at Macy's, Bed Bath N Beyond, Barnes & Noble, etc. Someplace they can bring their kids for dinner like Chili's or On The Border or Macaroni Grill... This is all a lot of people need or care about.

For people who like what NJ has to offer beyond shopping and homes/neighborhoods, you're not going to find a "cheap" alternative. People who like a particular natural setting need to go wherever that is. So people who love the beach (year-round) need to go to Florida or Hawaii or parts of CA or TX. People who love the mountains would go to the Rockies or parts of the Appalachians. People who love the desert would move to NV, CA, AZ, NM, or UT...

For someone who likes a mix, there's not much better than NJ. NY state is good, but that's already right here. California is the closest thing to NJ that there is. The people are the most like us, homes and neighborhoods are similar... Like NJ, you have easy access to both beaches and mountains. We have lots of flat farmland as does CA... We have swampy areas as well as lots of forest whereas CA has lots of desert, that's the biggest difference. We have big cities near us and CA has big cities; and their big cities are on the same level with the ones near us. LA is on level with NYC, San Diego and San Francisco are on level with Philly, etc...

To a lesser degree, Seattle or Portland areas would be good options for NJ'ans to move to and live a similar life for a little less cost of living.

So, to sum it up, if you love all of what NJ has to offer, your best bet is CA or even Seattle, but you won't save much, and it may even cost more.

If all you care about is cost then you can move just about anywhere you like, as long as you can find a job there. Traveling around the nation, I've seen that EVERY part of this nation has their big-box retail store centers with the same stores (Staples, BB&B, Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, Lowe's, Borders, WalMart, Wendy's, Old Navy, Macy's, etc. etc. etc.) and they all have suburbs sprawling around some tiny city. If I blindfolded someone and dropped him in suburban Atlanta he wouldn't know if it was GA, NJ, MO, OH, PA, AL, TN, or any number of other states east of the Mississippi.

So, it depends on what people want.

Oh, and if you "get" the bashing of NJ, then maybe you can explain it to me, because I don't "get" it at all.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 AM

88,554 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
thanks diva and others. I now know if one does move to pick an area outside a BIG CITY. I am not moving out of NJ, however just wondering. I have traveled alot of places that were NOT like NJ so I was wondering that question.
I think if I moved from NJ, I would have to live near a big city. I used to visit a friend who lived in the Maryland 'burbs of DC. I liked it there and I think I could probably live there. I keep that in the back of my mind--I technically can retire from my job in four years, but I'll be 55 and still paying for my daughter's college and would have to continue working somewhere...I play around with the idea of moving down that way since what I do is government-related and I'd be able to work in DC.

No other big city will be comparable to New York, of course.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 AM

88,554 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
For most of them it's purely money reasons. Just look where they move to - NC, GA, TN, etc... As someone who despises hillbillies, you know very well they aren't moving to those places because they're particularly nice; they're moving because of money.

I think it depends on what a person wants/needs. I have a friend who lives in Westwood with his wife and kids. He never, ever goes to NYC. He hates it. He wants his home to be his castle which he never has to leave. He likes to visit his old college friends in PA and MD, but that's it; he doesn't like to eat out or go out, except to buy more toys for his home. I've often suggested to him to move to South Jersey, but he's one of these lazy types who wants his NYC area salary wherever he would move to. He could have transferred within his company to NC, and he wanted to, but they were going to cut his pay so he didn't. But, he would have been happier. He'd be making less but also paying less for a home and taxes, but his home would be huge there.

So, for people who just want a big home and a lot of toys, they'd move to the "Triangle" of North Carolina, or the Atlanta area, or even Nashville area or Charlotte, or whatever the new migration destination is for "cheap". Really, the suburbs just about anywhere are an option. St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnnati, Louisville, Lansing, Indianapolis....anywhere will be cheaper.

All those places are good for people like my friend, who don't care about the city or the country or the beach or the mountains. All they care about is nice big home, lots of toys, "cheap" stores like WalMart and Costco, and tons of other big-box retail for their shopping for more toys (preferably on sale or cheap). My friend would be in heaven with a bigger home, like a 5 or 6 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage home, within 10 minutes of a Paramus-on-steroids big-box mecca where he can putter around Home Depot, Walmart, etc. and where his wife can shop at Macy's, Bed Bath N Beyond, Barnes & Noble, etc. Someplace they can bring their kids for dinner like Chili's or On The Border or Macaroni Grill... This is all a lot of people need or care about.

For people who like what NJ has to offer beyond shopping and homes/neighborhoods, you're not going to find a "cheap" alternative. People who like a particular natural setting need to go wherever that is. So people who love the beach (year-round) need to go to Florida or Hawaii or parts of CA or TX. People who love the mountains would go to the Rockies or parts of the Appalachians. People who love the desert would move to NV, CA, AZ, NM, or UT...

For someone who likes a mix, there's not much better than NJ. NY state is good, but that's already right here. California is the closest thing to NJ that there is. The people are the most like us, homes and neighborhoods are similar... Like NJ, you have easy access to both beaches and mountains. We have lots of flat farmland as does CA... We have swampy areas as well as lots of forest whereas CA has lots of desert, that's the biggest difference. We have big cities near us and CA has big cities; and their big cities are on the same level with the ones near us. LA is on level with NYC, San Diego and San Francisco are on level with Philly, etc...

To a lesser degree, Seattle or Portland areas would be good options for NJ'ans to move to and live a similar life for a little less cost of living.

So, to sum it up, if you love all of what NJ has to offer, your best bet is CA or even Seattle, but you won't save much, and it may even cost more.

If all you care about is cost then you can move just about anywhere you like, as long as you can find a job there. Traveling around the nation, I've seen that EVERY part of this nation has their big-box retail store centers with the same stores (Staples, BB&B, Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, Lowe's, Borders, WalMart, Wendy's, Old Navy, Macy's, etc. etc. etc.) and they all have suburbs sprawling around some tiny city. If I blindfolded someone and dropped him in suburban Atlanta he wouldn't know if it was GA, NJ, MO, OH, PA, AL, TN, or any number of other states east of the Mississippi.

Oh, and if you "get" the bashing of NJ, then maybe you can explain it to me, because I don't "get" it at all.
Sing it, brother.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,412 times
I live in Nashville, and the stress is so much less. Commute to work is less for my husband, 20min, and he parks for free under building. He works here but actually works for the NY office of his company.
Take yesterday, I went to buy a car which I did, A Toyota rav basic, as I'm not into fancy cars, the salesman was so low key. No Spin!
30 min Southeast me is the city of Murfreesboro, which has lots of new shopping.The Avenue Murfreesboro (http://www.shoptheavenue.com/FindAnAvenue/TheAvenueMurfreesboro/tabid/159/Default.aspx - broken link)
They also have a mall with stores such as Dillards.
20 min due South is Spring Hill which is up and coming with lots of new homes and shopping. 30 min north of me is Mt Juliet, an older suburb that has new shopping, homes, restaurants.

Providence

Providence MarketPlace, Mt. Juliet TN (http://www.crosland.com/retail/properties/providence_marketplace/ - broken link)

25 minutes in the country from me is some High Priced Housing, and home to Arington Vinyards, which is owned by Kix brooks a country singer,
Home

About 20 min from me is Fanklin, TN
Welcome to Historic Franklin Tennessee

I live in Suburban Nashville, which is in Davidson County. I live on the Border of Williamson county (1/4 mile) Davidson is made up of Metro and the surburban counties, north and South of the City. I'm south of the City.
Davidson Metro is very diverse, and votes blue in a red state.
Williamson, where I do most of my shopping, church, etc, since its the closest to my home is one of the richest counties.
Williamson County, TN - Official Site
http://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=950 (broken link)

If you go an hour North of Nashville, you have hit another state, Bowling Green , KY.

Diane G

Old 10-04-2009, 09:58 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

I did not move for the Money. We moved because of the stressful commute, and all the stress involved living in a fast paced place. We moved for our children, having not to endure that stress.
Also, we have not used a snow shovel yet, so the weather also. We have 4 seasons, but they are not as severe.

Diane G

Old 10-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I did not move for the Money. We moved because of the stressful commute, and all the stress involved living in a fast paced place. We moved for our children, having not to endure that stress.
Also, we have not used a snow shovel yet, so the weather also. We have 4 seasons, but they are not as severe.

Diane G
It's all relative. You can have a stress-free commute in NJ, also. I am sure that's not at all the real reason for your move. I have a stress-free commute from Park Ridge to Paramus. I'm there in 10-15 minutes, even with rush hour traffic.

The weather isn't that much different, either.

It's the money.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I live in Nashville, and the stress is so much less. Commute to work is less for my husband, 20min, and he parks for free under building. He works here but actually works for the NY office of his company.
Take yesterday, I went to buy a car which I did, A Toyota rav basic, as I'm not into fancy cars, the salesman was so low key. No Spin!
30 min Southeast me is the city of Murfreesboro, which has lots of new shopping.The Avenue Murfreesboro (http://www.shoptheavenue.com/FindAnAvenue/TheAvenueMurfreesboro/tabid/159/Default.aspx - broken link)
They also have a mall with stores such as Dillards.
20 min due South is Spring Hill which is up and coming with lots of new homes and shopping. 30 min north of me is Mt Juliet, an older suburb that has new shopping, homes, restaurants.

Providence

Providence MarketPlace, Mt. Juliet TN (http://www.crosland.com/retail/properties/providence_marketplace/ - broken link)

25 minutes in the country from me is some High Priced Housing, and home to Arington Vinyards, which is owned by Kix brooks a country singer,
Home

About 20 min from me is Fanklin, TN
Welcome to Historic Franklin Tennessee

I live in Suburban Nashville, which is in Davidson County. I live on the Border of Williamson county (1/4 mile) Davidson is made up of Metro and the surburban counties, north and South of the City. I'm south of the City.
Davidson Metro is very diverse, and votes blue in a red state.
Williamson, where I do most of my shopping, church, etc, since its the closest to my home is one of the richest counties.
Williamson County, TN - Official Site
http://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=950 (broken link)

If you go an hour North of Nashville, you have hit another state, Bowling Green , KY.

Diane G
In other words, they have the same exact things in TN that NJ has, but TN is not as wealthy as NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey