Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:57 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
To the people who actually moved out of NJ, is it better? Not is your bills better I could care less about bills and tax my question is where is a better option of a place like a NJ that a person can get used to and where the adjustment not be too harsh? Curious as to why its better excluding money reasons. When you go outside lets say 20 miles in each direction is it just as good??? Problem I find is I may like many other places and towns but 20 -25 miles outside that town it sucks. Basically you breeze thru the town your nice area and have crap everywhere else. Can you name that perfect place??

actually I just saw a similar post down below so pass this up sorry!!! I will read first!!!!

No, i moved to Pa, and if i could move back to Jersey i would in a sec. I live in Scranton,Pa and it's a hellhole, i would run back to jersey if i could. I know it's expensive and yada, yada, yada, but Jersey is in my heart, it's part of me and i love it.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I think it comes down to money for most people. NJ is pretty damn good in my opinion, it's just way too expensive to live in any kind of nice area of nj nowadays.
Agree 100%. I like New Jersey, and I absolutely love Ocean County and having grown up in one of the most beautiful and fun areas of the state (and the country, really). I would never really consider moving out if not for the fact that attempting to live the lifestyle I desire for myself would make for a stressful life trying to afford it.

My only real requirement is somewhere warmer (hey, if I'm moving, it better be somewhere where I can fish/boat any time!) and not in "the sticks" and filled with hayseeds. I do not like the "country" or backwoods, muddy 4x4, NASCAR attitude one bit. There are some areas of coastal Maryland and Virginia I like, as well as the Tampa area, where I went to college. I'd gladly live in Delware as well if there were only some decent jobs there!

Last edited by VeradoDan; 10-04-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
This is not a bash NJ thread or trolling I just cant think of places similiar. However reading the other post that is similiar the suburbs of Boston and certain areas in Maryland are similiar. However I dont know if its better just similiar.
I used to date a girl from Maryland and spent a good deal of time in the Baltimore suburbs. They're nice areas, but you may as well stay in New Jersey. The tax burden isn't significantly less there, though the real estate values are slightly more affordable. In all honesty, while there were many very nice "normal" people around there, there was a "country" element I didn't feel comfortable with.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
San Diego.

If I had a job there and had no family ties here I would move to San Diego.

But that's the only place I would leave NJ for in the U.S.
Hell, I have family ties in San Diego and would consider moving there in a minute. It's a great city. But if we're on the topic of saving money, California is not the place to move to. Real estate values and the tax burden is about equal to New Jersey's though the climate is better. So while SD is a great place to live, your cost of living would be the same as in New Jersey.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I have 2 Whole Foods within 15 min of me, one in the Green Hills section of Nashville, and one in the Cool Springs area. We have a Trader Joes, also in Green Hills. We also have the Mall at Green Hills, which is the same owner of the Mall at Short Hills in NJ. I frequently run into Nicole Kitman there.

Diane G
well Diane, if you got whole foods, I wrecking IM living with more hillbillies (only for now and a short time) than you!!!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
No, i moved to Pa, and if i could move back to Jersey i would in a sec. I live in Scranton,Pa and it's a hellhole, i would run back to jersey if i could. I know it's expensive and yada, yada, yada, but Jersey is in my heart, it's part of me and i love it.
well look at the bright side you have all those great coal mine tours!!!, thank you for such honesty. I also moved to a hellhole and moved back to NJ. Now tell me alittle about you?? Why did you move, what do you do? Where did you live in NJ? If you need a bedroom to stay and look for a new area or job IM here, Marilyn!! and its free

Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Hell, I have family ties in San Diego and would consider moving there in a minute. It's a great city. But if we're on the topic of saving money, California is not the place to move to. Real estate values and the tax burden is about equal to New Jersey's though the climate is better. So while SD is a great place to live, your cost of living would be the same as in New Jersey.
I'm not one of those people looking for cheaper. We could afford it there if we wanted to.

Although good point that the nice places to live are usually priced that way too

Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

And I don't buy the "shoveling snow" argument. I used my little snowblower once or twice last year, and I use it for even the slightest snowfall or else I'd never use it. But if you hate shoveling snow, you can afford to pay someone to do it a couple times and it would be very cheap.
Buy the 'shoveling snow' argument. At least for me. The cold in general. I can't stand it. This was reinforced this past Saturday (2 days ago). We had a cloud covered day, constant rain, the high temp was about 65. I felt like I was back home, and I was miserable, feeling cooped up in the house. It comes back to personal choice.

Back to sunny and 82 today. Thank god. I seriously take this weather for granted.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:31 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,949 times
I live in Collingswood, and I plan on moving to Las Vegas in a year. Don't know why, but NJ is just overall annoying to me anymore.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 AM

109 posts, read 392,365 times
I think many natives of New Jersey would move back if they could, or at least think they want to. Most can't and many left due to the cost of living. At a certain point, you have to move on in life, and have no regrets. What makes life is the people around you not the place. I think the pull to move back fades in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey