Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:00 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
That's a stupid statement and not based in fact. Much of the homes being built in the newer areas like yours are the typical, cheap modern "developer" stye of construction and nothing like many of the older, sturdier homes in NJ.

And there are people here with more money in Bergen Country, Warren County, etc. So we beat TN there, too.

Of course your house would cost more in NJ, because it's not the cost of the home so much as the cost of the LAND. Location, location, location. That's why people can build huge estates on 5 acres of land out in the middle of East Nowhere for the same price that would get them a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath home on 1/5 of an acre in Bergen County.

And just remember the even wealthier rap singers, celebrities, athletes, authors etc. who live here including rappers Ja Rule and "Rev. Run" Joseph Simmons as well as his family members music mogul Russell Simmons and fashion mogul Kimora Lee Simmons, NY Giants coach Tom Coughlin, actor Danny Aiello, writer Mary Higgins Clark, Nets stars Vince Carter and Jason Kidd, Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs, Jay-Z, Eddie Murphy, James Gandolfini, Chris Rock, Phil Simms, Stevie Wonder, Paul Sorvino, Maury Povich, on and on and on and on....

So if you're so impressed by "celebs" and think living near them is such a great thing then moving to Nashville from NJ is a dumb move.

Who's Alan Jackson? He gets no airplay in the NYC metro area.

The Most Expensive Home In New Jersey - Forbes.com

Meanwhile, 10 minutes from where I live...

The Most Expensive Home In New Jersey
Sara Clemence

A New Jersey mansion that has hit the market at a stunning $40 million may be the most expensive in the state's history.

The seven-and-a-half-acre estate lies in the borough of Alpine, just over the Hudson River from Manhattan. At 60,000 square feet, the spread is said to be the largest in an area known for its wealth--and its grand homes.
Its only 2 mil different, and housing costs less here. Its not in the middle of Nowhere. Its within 15 min of downtown.
I would never live in Bergan County. The houses there remind me of my childhood home, that my parents paid $3,000 for. Its so overpriced there to live with 1 bathroom, NO THANK YOU.

Diane

Old 10-06-2009, 04:05 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,513,457 times
Diane, I enjoy your posts alot! I also love busting your chops too in fun of course. I think you take it well! Dont let the folks get you down Marilyn

Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The guy driving the rental car shuttle literally crawled from the terminal to the rental station and announced several times that the "dangerous conditions" would mean a longer ride.
What, you mean he got out, and got down on all fours ? Did the rest of you stay in the shuttle, or crawl with him ?

Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Kate,
I'm just making a point that where I live isn't Hillybillys like some people that have never left the state of NJ think. I'm far from a snob. I do volenteer work, and have always done it. I feel right at home helping in a food pantry.
With the oil tank problem I had, I could never live there again. I did not trust that there would be a hidden tank somewhere. Snobs? Well a great deal of Manalapan is snobby.
Remember, I was raised on LI, on the water on a small island. My parents bought the house in 1955 for $3000., so I did not come from money.
My mother borrowed the money from a well off uncle, and paid it off in 3 years. She never had a credit card, and never bought more than she could afford. I see many on this board doing just that.
NJ was never my home. LI was, and TN is where I spent 4 years in College about 40 miles north of where I am now. I wanted a place I could be safe then, with all the Vietnan protests hitting all the colleges. I was in college when Kent State happened. TN has always been where I feel safe. 9/11 took the safeness of NJ away with it being too close to NY. We lost way too many friends that day.My husband was supposed to be at a Breakfast on the top of the trade center at his companies office there, someone else took his place, and they are gone.
You like NJ so fine, but it was just not for me.
I can't take the Shoveling of Snow, which we have never had to do here. Its cold, and in the winter the skies are gray. We have sun and blue skies even when it gets cold in January.

Diane G

That's fine. I'm glad you're happy there. Just remember that many of us are happy here in Jersey
As far as terrorism NO PLACE IN THE WORLD is 100% safe from that

Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
What, you mean he got out, and got down on all fours ? Did the rest of you stay in the shuttle, or crawl with him ?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:26 AM

835 posts, read 1,179,694 times
Anywhere outside of the tri-state is safe to go as NJ continues to financially meltdown

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/nyregion/05towns.html

Homeowners are challenging property-tax assessments at a record rate | Philadelphia Inquirer | 10/04/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20091004_Homeowners_are_challenging_property-tax_assessments_at_a_record_rate.html - broken link)

Meanwhile these guys want their money: http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_imp...rial%20day.JPG

Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,081 times
Quote:
Its only 2 mil different, and housing costs less here. Its not in the middle of Nowhere. Its within 15 min of downtown.
I would never live in Bergan County. The houses there remind me of my childhood home, that my parents paid $3,000 for. Its so overpriced there to live with 1 bathroom, NO THANK YOU.

Diane
See? It IS the money; you finally admitted it.

And many people in Bergen County have more than one bathroom; I have 2.5 bathrooms.

I think you're too ignorant and cheap to live in Bergen County. You're much better off being a hillbilly who lives in the snooty section of a hick town.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:55 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhhGeekAttack View Post
In the future I would like to move to New York or maybe Chicago just somewhere else that has a lot of attractions and you won't ever get bored.
I would too. If I was loaded, I would live in Manhattan and have a summer house somewhere in the country. But wouldn't we all?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,498 times
Quote:
9/11 took the safeness of NJ away with it being too close to NY. We lost way too many friends that day.My husband was supposed to be at a Breakfast on the top of the trade center at his companies office there, someone else took his place, and they are gone.
That's really sick of you to bring terrorism into this. How dare you? Would you say that to someone who lost someone in 9/11, to their face? I doubt it, but by saying it on an NJ message board, you might as well have.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
That's really sick of you to bring terrorism into this. How dare you? Would you say that to someone who lost someone in 9/11, to their face? I doubt it, but by saying it on an NJ message board, you might as well have.

I would've. I have no clue as to where you saw a hint of anything wrong with that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey