Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,278 times

Advertisements

Looking for a place to buy in New Jersey for 300k. Any type of dwelling except for a ranch, that is. 3 bedroom and a basement..would like some land but nothing large. Must be safe and pred. white (we came from a predom. asian community and felt left out) Have small children so schools are a priority. Close to the highways as we work in Princeton but our families live in Basking Ridge and Greenwich twp so either there or close proximity to our families is more important than close prox. to work.

Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 06:35 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramamamma View Post
Looking for a place to buy in New Jersey for 300k. Any type of dwelling except for a ranch, that is. 3 bedroom and a basement..would like some land but nothing large. Must be safe and pred. white (we came from a predom. asian community and felt left out) Have small children so schools are a priority. Close to the highways as we work in Princeton but our families live in Basking Ridge and Greenwich twp so either there or close proximity to our families is more important than close prox. to work.

Any help appreciated.
Good luck. Your budget is extremely low, especially if you're ruling out ranches and want a good school district, unless you go to S. Jersey.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:38 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times
It can be done... you could find a cute cape cod for that price in a few nice towns... BUT how much are you willing to spend on taxes? AND are you willing to buy a home that needs updating?

We saw a lot of older, Cape Cods in towns like Cranford, Kenilworth, & Spotswood (towns that seem to meet you ethnic preferences) for around $260,000, but again, they were in need of some major updating, and taxes were ATLEAST 6K a year, usully more.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,278 times
thanks for responding. An older cape would be nice. Cranford is a great town, but a little far from Stewartsville and Basking Ridge. 6k taxes sounds about right. Major updating is fine, as long as it's liveable.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
I did a search and the only ones decent in Basking Ridge were townhouses. I would post link here, but for some reason they remove that site, I have no idea why. There was a short sale ranch for $300,000 but built even before my parents ere born, and they are no longer living.
Another Suggestion at that Budget, Sayerville.

Diane G

Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I did a search and the only ones decent in Basking Ridge were townhouses. I would post link here, but for some reason they remove that site, I have no idea why. There was a short sale ranch for $300,000 but built even before my parents ere born, and they are no longer living.
Another Suggestion at that Budget, Sayerville.

Diane G
Given the downturn Sayreville has had, I might recommend East Windsor or Hamilton Square/Robbinsville.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Bordentown comes to mind.
It's a very quaint, small, safe town not too far south from Trenton, and it's only about 20 miles from Princeton.

I'm pretty sure there's plenty available in your price range.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Given the downturn Sayreville has had, I might recommend East Windsor or Hamilton Square/Robbinsville.
Really? That Bad. My brother lives there.

Diane G

Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Downturn? My boyfriend's whole family lives down there... such a cute sleepy little town... they never even lock their doors!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times
I was in Sayreville recently. It always had a little bit of a gritty exterior, but the place was looking just "grim" when I was there last, probably back in the spring.

As far as the OP - I'd side with the poster talking about Hamilton Sq. and Robbinsville (as well as Hamilton Twp.). There should be something close to $300K there and that would have you close to your job. There is always Ewing as well, which in many ways is a great town, but the schools are an issue there as there is a lot of spillover from Trenton illegally using the school district and inserting a bad element into the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey