U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 PM

316 posts, read 867,044 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Well, after being on and off a few times in terms of home buying, my wife and I are back in the house hunting game. We've been originally focusing on Highland Park and Metuchen, but nothing has caught our attention for quite some time, at least not in the price range we would like to stay in (no more than 350K). Seems like we can only find very small, old colinial or little capes or ranches that are 2 BR (a few 3 BR) homes there that need a lot of work. So we recently expanded our search to include Piscataway and Edison and more homes are hitting the radar screen. I originally did not find south Edison too desireable, but we found a nice 3 BR split in our price range there. It's very nice, full of updates, a nice size lot / yard, etc. It is in the area called Washington Park, looks like it is pretty close to the Elementary and High School. Does anyone have any experience in this area? On the surface it doesn't exactly have the "main street" appeal of HP and Metuchen I was looking for, but it looks like a pretty decent neighborhood overall. In fact, it seems much nicer than much of the South Side of Highland Park that borders Edison. I am just curious about safety and noise, etc considering it is so close to the high school. While the particular street we are looking on seems very nice, with all split level houses; if you go one street over it seems to take a slight downturn, with all very small ranches at a significantly lower price point. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it was something I observed. I assume that the neighborhood is pretty diverse as well; just another observation. I don't necessarily mind diversity, but I wonder how diverse it is. If anyone has any insight to share about this area and what it may be like to live there (schools, safety, traffic, etc) I would much appreciate it! thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 PM

877 posts, read 2,575,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
Hi there. Well, after being on and off a few times in terms of home buying, my wife and I are back in the house hunting game. We've been originally focusing on Highland Park and Metuchen, but nothing has caught our attention for quite some time, at least not in the price range we would like to stay in (no more than 350K). Seems like we can only find very small, old colinial or little capes or ranches that are 2 BR (a few 3 BR) homes there that need a lot of work. So we recently expanded our search to include Piscataway and Edison and more homes are hitting the radar screen. I originally did not find south Edison too desireable, but we found a nice 3 BR split in our price range there. It's very nice, full of updates, a nice size lot / yard, etc. It is in the area called Washington Park, looks like it is pretty close to the Elementary and High School. Does anyone have any experience in this area? On the surface it doesn't exactly have the "main street" appeal of HP and Metuchen I was looking for, but it looks like a pretty decent neighborhood overall. In fact, it seems much nicer than much of the South Side of Highland Park that borders Edison. I am just curious about safety and noise, etc considering it is so close to the high school. While the particular street we are looking on seems very nice, with all split level houses; if you go one street over it seems to take a slight downturn, with all very small ranches at a significantly lower price point. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it was something I observed. I assume that the neighborhood is pretty diverse as well; just another observation. I don't necessarily mind diversity, but I wonder how diverse it is. If anyone has any insight to share about this area and what it may be like to live there (schools, safety, traffic, etc) I would much appreciate it! thanks!
I lived in Edison for a bit, on Waverly Drive off Old Post Rd, I can't tell you how much money those houses will go for, but I am vaguely familiar with the area you are talking about. Edison overall is decent, a little crowded for my tastes, but I never thought of it as an unsafe place at all. That Washington Park area does seem to be very mixed in terms of the types of houses it has and appears rather quaint. From what I've heard, the schools in Edson are always at the top of the list, although I knew someone who lived on the north (more expensive) side of town who had kids in JP Stevens High and was not impressed. Keep in mind though half of your kid's education is what you put into it. I used to substitute teach in Piscataway, and while that area is very mixed the quality of the education in those schools is very good, but it does have some rowdy kids, especially the high school has gangs from Plainfield sneaking in (this is Piscataway mind you, not Edison). As far as traffic goes, that light at Plainfield Ave and Lincoln Hwy is a pain in the *** and you want to stay off Rt 1 during rush hour, though they have made recent improvements to it, and there are many ways around it. I personally hate driving through Metuchen and Highland Pk and avoid all those lights as best as I can. Highland Park is a very expensive area, my best friend grew up there, I'm not sure but I doubt you'll find anything reasonable there within your price range, and the taxes are through the roof.

That's about as much as I know, for what it's worth I hope it helps. BTW, check out Edison Diner on Rt 1 and Fox Rd, great food.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM

46 posts, read 155,221 times
Hi Mikie, My bf and I are looking to buy our first home in the same price range and towns you have mentioned. In general, you can't go wrong with Edison. Although N. Edison is the more "desirable" side of town, South Edison is still very nice and family-oriented.By the way, I think I know the house in Washington Park that you're talking about. We're interested in it, too. =)

Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,149,339 times
I live about a mile away from the area on the same side of Rt27. We bought one of the new buildups in a sea of smaller ranch houses a few years ago. At the time there were only 2 houses that large. Now there are 15-20. I havent seen any new construction in the last few months but there are not as many of the smaller homes for sale any more either.

As for diversity, I can only comment on the 5-6 blocks surrounding my house but there are about as many Hispanic families as there are Asian as there are Indian as there are Black. White people make up the majority as far as I can tell and everyone seems to get along with each other. Not necessarily friendly but I havent heard of any "stories" about anyone. Everyone kind of just waves and keeps it moving.

My son is only 2 and Im not originally from Edison so I cant comment on the schools. I am also not as close to the highchool as you would be but again, ive never heard of any problems. We did have a pumpkin stolen from our front door step one year and a car was egged last month on my street but I just chalk that up to the kids in the neighborhood being kids.

The Plainfield rd/rt 27 intersection IS as bad as any story you may hear about it. I avoid it like the plague and have learned out to navigate the windy little streats enough that I can make it from the AutoZone to the Walmart without the GPS and without touching rt27 or rt1. (pretty proud of myself actually. lol)

If you have any specific questions, feel free to direct message me.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 PM

great, thanks for the feedback! anyone else have any opinions on this? thank you.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 AM

RobRiguez,

I have a question for you. Do you know when Edison will have tax assessments or has it been done already? I would ask the realtor we've been talking with, but he is always drunk. No joke.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:46 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,149,339 times
I have not heard anything about new assessments. But I've only been in town for 5-6 years now.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 AM

somehow I found myself in a bidding war for this house in edison. ugh!!

Old 10-15-2009, 03:31 PM

So did I.

I have a feeling we're talking about the same house........

Old 10-17-2009, 04:28 PM

you think so? what a mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey