Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 10,792 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My car died after owning it for 12 years, so I need to get one and don't have a lot of experience (or money). Does anyone have any advice on leasing a car? Do you need money down? Is it worth it, or are there potential issues with keeping it in top condition? Are there advanatages to leasing as opposed to buying?

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:51 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,237 times
Sounds like you keep your cars for a long time, so buying probably makes sense for you.

Leasing is good if you always like to have a new car or your company is paying for it. You do need money down for a lease.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Buying is the better investment long term... leasing is more for people who want a new car every 3 years. It saves them some on depreciation. Remember, car dealers are having a rough time of it, negotiate hard!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
by only having a car 3 years or so, there is very little maintenance you have to do. it also keeps your monthly payments lower since you are only paying for about half the cars value. in the long run, if you buy a car and hold onto it for 12 years you will probably make out better. id go with a car with a proven track record of reliablility and durability. a toyota or honda.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
If you drive long distances, leasing may not be a good idea. There are usually mileage limits and if you go over you have to pay additional charges. With leasing, you will always have a payment.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Many manufacturers stopped doing leases in the past few years because in order to make the numbers attractive, they had to have residuals that were too high- when the car came back at the end of the lease, it'd have a residual of $20k, and only be worth $12k. Toyota, Mercedes, Lexus, and a few others that retain their value better still offer leases.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,451 times
To save some money check some returned leases and newer used vehicles. Maybe 3 years old. They should still have low mileage and under warranty.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:06 PM

275 posts, read 743,366 times
- What happened to your car exactly, do you know? How do you know(have you asked one shop or more)? How much is going to be to fix it?
- Where is your car now, who owns it?
- Do you really NEED another car now? What for? How many miles per day/week?
- What's your budget?

After reading this:"My car died after owning it for 12 years, so I need to get one and don't have a lot of experience (or money). " my question is What lease are you talking about?

DO NOT GO TO ANY DEALERSHIP untill ready. Bring someone with you, who know what he or she is doing and say nothing(I want THIS or I want THAT).

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 PM

My car is dead and long gone. I donated it. It was old and needed thousands of dollars of work so I could not afford to fix it--it would not have been worth it. I have been without a car for 10 months and it has been incredibly hard. I have been unemployed during this time so any hopes of getting financing was not practical (or possible). I have been using one of those pay by the hour cars just to get groceries--but that adds up. I have a job prospect and I will hopefully get this job and I will need a car to commute. I have not sought out any specific leases, just trying to get some info. I have never done that so I am totally unfamiliar. So I am just now starting to look into options. Everyone's advice has been very helpful so far. Thanks s much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey