Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 AM

538 posts, read 2,449,826 times

Advertisements

Walmart epitomizes everything that is soulless and evil about large corporations. I personally think that they are already a monopoly. Everything about shopping there is simply about the bottom line. Cheap, plastic crap made in China by the lowest bidder, basically slave labor. Their dog food is probably the worst thing you could give your dog. Their furniture is cheap particleboard held together with toxic Chinese glues and varnishes. Their tools suck and their clothing is ugly and cheap.

They move into suburbs and suck the life out of Mom and Pop stores downtown. How can anyone compete with outsourced slave labor? There is more to life than the bottom line. Go downtown to the local furniture maker and spend some money on real wood furniture made by a craftsman. I'd much rather spend a little more and help keep my neighbor in business- plus I know it will last longer and look better.

Bergen County Johnny- I think you and I actually agree on something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:48 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Walmart epitomizes everything that is soulless and evil about large corporations. I personally think that they are already a monopoly. Everything about shopping there is simply about the bottom line. Cheap, plastic crap made in China by the lowest bidder, basically slave labor. Their dog food is probably the worst thing you could give your dog. Their furniture is cheap particleboard held together with toxic Chinese glues and varnishes. Their tools suck and their clothing is ugly and cheap.

They move into suburbs and suck the life out of Mom and Pop stores downtown. How can anyone compete with outsourced slave labor? There is more to life than the bottom line. Go downtown to the local furniture maker and spend some money on real wood furniture made by a craftsman. I'd much rather spend a little more and help keep my neighbor in business- plus I know it will last longer and look better.

Bergen County Johnny- I think you and I actually agree on something!
Wait a minute....THIS JUST IN:

It appears that hell has just frozen over!!!

Yes, we definitely do agree about Walmart, on every level.

The thing I don't get is that while I understand a lot of people only care about the bottom line as far as price goes, how can they not see that Walmart items are the cheapest, ugliest things anyway?

Lots of what we buy nowadays is cheap, china-made garbage; still, Walmart seems to take this to a new low. Their cheap, crappy tools are worse than the cheap, crappy tools at Harbor Freight (and HF's prices are actually lower, usually). Target's stuff is cheap in quality also, but at least it usually looks decent. Walmart is the cheapest and ugliest of the cheap and ugly.

But the bigger issue is their monopolistic, predatory business practices. I don't understand how more people don't see it or how some see it and don't care.

But hey, we are very apparently in the minority on this.

I think it would bother me less if people were at least actually saving money by shopping at Walmart, but I'm positive that they would spend no more money, and probably even less, if they shopped at other retailers wisely. And on top of that, they'd get nicer stuff overall.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;11109963
The thing I don't get is that while I understand a lot of people only care about the bottom line as far as price goes, how can they not see that Walmart items are the cheapest, ugliest things anyway?[/quote]

they may be the cheapest, but they arent the ugliest. you can get perfectly good stuff there.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,589,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
regardless, their practices with regards to suppliers/employees/etc. are not my problem.
Here is where you are mistaken. Their practices DO become your problem when they put American manufacturer's out of business and American's lose their decent-paying jobs. Those employees may or may not find another job that will pay them a decent wage, and they will need assistance in the form of food stamps or welfare or unemployment to make it until another job is found. Those benefits come directly from your taxes, which must rise to meet the growing number of Americans out of work. It is the undermining of our basic middle class and when the middle class goes under what will be left? The rich and the poor.

Walmart's practices can be compared to an ecosystem. What walmart is doing, in essence, is interrupting the 'food chain'. If any level is diminished, all will suffer except the rich, of course.

BCJohnny, you are not alone. I hate 'em too. Never shopped there; never will.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Here is where you are mistaken. Their practices DO become your problem when they put American manufacturer's out of business and American's lose their decent-paying jobs. Those employees may or may not find another job that will pay them a decent wage, and they will need assistance in the form of food stamps or welfare or unemployment to make it until another job is found. Those benefits come directly from your taxes, which must rise to meet the growing number of Americans out of work. It is the undermining of our basic middle class and when the middle class goes under what will be left? The rich and the poor.

Walmart's practices can be compared to an ecosystem. What walmart is doing, in essence, is interrupting the 'food chain'. If any level is diminished, all will suffer except the rich, of course.

BCJohnny, you are not alone. I hate 'em too. Never shopped there; never will.
you say all will suffer "except the rich, of course." its funny how its always allowed to hate the rich and use them as a scapegoat because of the assumption that everyone is as jealous of them as you are. "the rich" pay most of the taxes in this country.

anyway, its still not my problem.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 AM

821 posts, read 2,030,673 times
Does anyone know if there is a superwalmart coming to Secaucus and Plainfield I heard the rumor but wasnt sure.

As far as Walmart shopping goes I do agree its messier, more cluttered and parking and checking out is horrendous... but I'm not going to lie either I do shop there My thing is why would I want to pay more for the same exact item for Instance I can go to pathmark and spend over 4.00 for a box of cereal or I could pay 2.50 for the same exact product.. and even cheaper if i wanted to go for the walmart brand.. And for the people who say wow save 2.00 but its not just two dollars for the most part things are cheaper there and over a year of saving you would be saving alot.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 AM

2,729 posts, read 6,089,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Nonsense. They have the same things any other store has. Garnier Fructese is not making special, cheaper shampoo for Walmart. Everlast gym equipment is Everlast gym equipment. The 9 lives I buy there isn't killing my cat. Their clothes are definitely ugly and cheap same as Target, K-Mart and 98% of the women's clothes at Kohl's.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
you say all will suffer "except the rich, of course." its funny how its always allowed to hate the rich and use them as a scapegoat because of the assumption that everyone is as jealous of them as you are. "the rich" pay most of the taxes in this country.

anyway, its still not my problem.
I don't hate the rich; I wish I was rich! It's just a statement of fact, not some kind of moral criticism.

I like how you totally disregarded the rest of my post. I guess you enjoy paying higher taxes. Good for you! A true patriot.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I don't hate the rich; I wish I was rich! It's just a statement of fact, not some kind of moral criticism.

I like how you totally disregarded the rest of my post. I guess you enjoy paying higher taxes. Good for you! A true patriot.
you are jealous of the rich. thats why you suggest they are the only ones not hurt, when in reality they are the ones who end up paying for everything.

the rest of your post is bs. walmart is doing what its supposed to do, fulfilling the consumers desire for low priced products. they understand it isnt the highest end stuff, but they are satisfied with what they get for the price. if you dont like stuff outsourced to china, then dont buy stuff that is outsourced to china. that is your choice.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
you are jealous of the rich. thats why you suggest they are the only ones not hurt, when in reality they are the ones who end up paying for everything.

the rest of your post is bs. walmart is doing what its supposed to do, fulfilling the consumers desire for low priced products. they understand it isnt the highest end stuff, but they are satisfied with what they get for the price. if you dont like stuff outsourced to china, then dont buy stuff that is outsourced to china. that is your choice.
OK, last post...I am not jealous of the rich. Given the opportunity, I think everyone would like to be rich. Liking something and coveting something in a greedy way are two very different things. The wealthy just have more resources and ways to shelter their income from taxes. In a down economy they are not hurting like the average joe. And if they are truly paying for everything, why do I still have to pay income tax?

So, people losing their good paying jobs, losing their houses, going on welfare or unemployment is BS? What rarified air do you breathe? If you are one of the wealthy, I'm REALLY not jealous!

Bye bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey