Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,349 times

Advertisements

I'll be getting a job in Mt. Arlington New Jersey which is apparently in North Jersey but i'm not familiar with New Jersey. I'll be making about 50 k a year, and I'm looking to rent an apartment. I'm a 22 year old male, i want to be closer to long island because i have a lot of friends there but don't want to deal with a crazy commute in the morning. Also I don't want to be in a boring ass town because I like to go out and party on the weekends. I have literally no idea where to go and If anyone could offer any advice about areas i would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
First, did you check mapquest for where Mt Arlington is?

Now take a look at the map and back out. A LOT! Mt. Arlington is up near the lakes in north western NJ along Rte 80. It's right near Hopatcong. Now look down and to the right - a whole lotta right. Look past Manhattan, see that long skinny island? It's all "long island" but most NYers call the western parts Queens and Brooklyn. Then they divide Long Island into it's remaining 2 counties of Nassau and Suffolk. To get to places in Suffolk County, you have to drive through Nassau County - a feat which could easily take you an hour on a good day. That's just Nassau County! You first have to get there! Down route 80 to either the GW Bridge or to the Jersey Tpke - 1 hr. Now, if you take the GW Bridge, then you have to get across Manhattan and through Queens to get to Nassau County.

There are other ways, but I hope you're getting the idea. Mt. Arlington is not a hop skip and jump from Lawn Guyland.

I recommend you worry less about getting to Lawn Guyland and just find someplace near to where you'll be working and save yourself from a horrendous commute. That area has built up so much over the last 10 years or so. They now have traffic at rush hour - lots of it.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:27 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,003 times
If you need to be close to your friends in Long Island, being in NW Jersey is like being on a different planet.

Maybe you could live in Hoboken and have a very long commute???

Old 10-10-2009, 11:33 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
If you need to be close to your friends in Long Island, being in NW Jersey is like being on a different planet.

Maybe you could live in Hoboken and have a very long commute???
At 50K I doubt he can afford Hoboken.

Diane G

Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,666 times
What do you work with making 50 K when you're 22? :O

Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
Rent in northern Jersey, 35 minute ride to Lake Hapatcong by car. You will be right outside the lincoln tunnel and can easily commute to Long Island. Of course it depends how far into Long Island you are going to go. BTW, I am renting a one bedroom with parking right outside the Tunnel. Ten minute bus ride to the city. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 PM

195 posts, read 491,665 times
Parsippany. No, it's not close to Long Island, but that shouldn't matter if you're mainly concerned with going there on weekends. For the morning commute, it will be a breeze, as most of the westbound traffic on Rt. 80 emptied out into Parsippany. So, you'll be bypassing it as you'll be headed further west, about another 12 miles. That'll be about a 15-20 minute commute each morning, and possibly up to 30 minutes on the way home.

There's plenty of parting to be done in Morristown, which is just a few miles south of Parsippany, right down Rt. 287.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 PM

11 posts, read 43,745 times
Default Morristown

Check out Morristown, it won't be a bad commute to Mt. Arlington, you'll be going opposite the traffic and a very nice party town for your age. As for your friends in Long Island, make them come see you!

And congratulations on the 50K year job in Mt. Arlington!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaswan5 View Post
Check out Morristown, it won't be a bad commute to Mt. Arlington, you'll be going opposite the traffic and a very nice party town for your age. As for your friends in Long Island, make them come see you!

And congratulations on the 50K year job in Mt. Arlington!
I agree, Morristown is your best bet. There are more bars in Morristown than in most towns on Long Island, so make your buddies come visit you.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
At 50K I doubt he can afford Hoboken.

Diane G
At $50k, one could absolutely afford to live in Hoboken...either a small one bedroom, or share a 2-bedroom with a roommate.

I'd imagine most of the young kids 22-24 that live near the PATH in Hoboken are making $40k - $50k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey