Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
Rt 17 is only 2 lanes from the Teterboro area to the intersection of Rt4, that is where a lot of traffic builds. I agree, too many people on the roads-- Stay home everybody!
It stinks... I didn't know they were 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 09:58 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I didn't set up this blue law rule that all malls/shops are closed on Sunday.
Yes, but you support it, so why would it matter who set it up? Are you embarassed by it or not?

Quote:
I'm just happy that they are closed, because I don't feel like working on a Sunday and everybody deserves a day off from work. People overwork in this country anyway - TAKE A DAY OFF & ENJOY LIFE!
Everyone who works for retail are happy of the blue law, and people who don't work for retail - Go somewhere else if you like to shop on a Sunday. NYC is few miles away from Bergen County - and there are numerous malls in Upstate NY, and Passaic County etc.
Again, if you don't want to work on Sunday, fine. But who are you to not only tell people they shouldn't make a living on Sunday but also they CANNOT?

Old 10-11-2009, 04:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
I didn't set up this blue law rule that all malls/shops are closed on Sunday. I'm just happy that they are closed, because I don't feel like working on a Sunday and everybody deserves a day off from work. People overwork in this country anyway - TAKE A DAY OFF & ENJOY LIFE!
Everyone who works for retail are happy of the blue law, and people who don't work for retail - Go somewhere else if you like to shop on a Sunday. NYC is few miles away from Bergen County - and there are numerous malls in Upstate NY, and Passaic County etc.
so take off another day. most people work m-f and only have the weekend to take care of their shopping.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:07 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Routes 4 and 17 travel through the most densely populated area of NJ. There is virtually no chance these roads ever would, or even could, ever be widened.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
Quote:
Rt 4 and Rt 17 in North Jersey has heavy traffic, especially in the morning, afternoon and evening rush hour + all day on Saturday.
And it has only 3 lanes on each direction Can't believe this state with lack of highway lanes.... we need at least 1 or 2 more lanes!

North Jersey is among the most densely populated areas in the U.S., and lack of lanes and poor road conditions is an issue
More lanes brings more traffic. Instead of spending the wildly large amounts of money on widening such highways, the government would be better served increasing its outlay to NJTransit so it can lower fares so more of those who drive now will switch to the train to get to work.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 PM

345 posts, read 643,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
More lanes brings more traffic. Instead of spending the wildly large amounts of money on widening such highways, the government would be better served increasing its outlay to NJTransit so it can lower fares so more of those who drive now will switch to the train to get to work.
Agreed.

Keep in mind, the 4/17 intersection has potential for traffic for two reasons, one being Saturday shopping, the other being rush hour. As said, building more lanes just encourages more people to get in their cars instead of public transportation. Yes, I acknowledge that taking a bus or train isn't viable for everyone, but I also refuse to accept that EVERYBODY heading from northeast NJ into NYC is in that situation.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:02 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
There are just too many people here. This is the sort of thing that makes me want to move. I went for a bike ride yesterday through Harriman state park (where there were also 12093291 people buzzing by me going 60mph in a 40mph park road) and on the way back there's a point where I need to get over on a 2 lane highway, and it took me 5 minutes to cross the road.

Last edited by joe moving; 10-12-2009 at 07:14 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
so the government should waste taxpayer money on public transit instead of wasting it on road construction? whats the benefit of getting more people on public transportation?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so the government should waste taxpayer money on public transit instead of wasting it on road construction? whats the benefit of getting more people on public transportation?
The benefit is this: suppose X number of people need to get from point A to point B. If a higher proportion of X choose to do so by public transit, then those who must drive waste less time stuck in traffic and thus society as a whole benefits from 1) less wasted man hours, 2) less polluting emissions, 3) less money wasted on gasoline burned while standing idle because of traffic delays. The people who must drive include those going to destinations not served by public transit, those transporting things that are too large to bring on a bus and those who carpool.

I strongly support the carpool credit that they give at the GWB (the toll is something like $2 instead of $8 if you have more than one person in your car during workday hours), because it moves toward achieving the above.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 AM

i like the idea of the people taking public transit to help me move faster while i drive but i dont see it as the governments place to operate a business at a loss to help. when the government operates transit at a loss, taxpayers are the ones paying for everyone elses ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: