U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2006, 07:46 PM

7 posts, read 25,093 times

Advertisements

Just curious. But since we're on the subject of wildlife, are there great places to live in in Trenton or what is a town like this like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,506,357 times
I've lived near Trenton and worked there for 3 years now and never would have thought there would be bears, but they have found 2 over the past year or so at a park in North Trenton and I believe the bears were removed. At any rate, the bears are the least of Trenton's problems. As for wildlife, all you are likely to see are squirrels, stray cats, pet dogs, and (unfortunately) roaches.
IMO Trenton is not a good place to live. There is a lot of crime, a lot of gang activity. Positives: cheap(er) housing, low traffic (most people take the bus), minor league baseball, concert arena. Trenton is working hard to improve the southern area that is right next to the Delaware River, but it has a long way to go. I work there and I like it. My husband grew up outside of Trenton and refuses to even work there; absolutely hates it. The job market is strong, lots of good state jobs + regular jobs. If you don't mind commuting, you can take the train to Philly or NYC for even higher paying jobs.
If you want to live in a town near Trenton, all of them are okay although I would avoid certain areas of Ewing, Lawrenceville, and Hamilton. The sections that border Trenton are bad; the sections farther from Trenton are good. Pennington, Hopewell, and Robbinsville (where I live), are extremely nice but housing is much more expensive. Yardville (technically a section of Hamilton) is a small town south of Trenton and often forgot about; housing there is more affordable and it is relatively peaceful there.
If you want to live in Trenton, I would recommend certain sections of Chambersburg, areas south of Rt. 33/Greenwood Ave, areas north of Parkside Ave., and West Trenton. Avoid the 4-5 blocks north of Rt. 33/Greenwood Ave, avoid anything near Perry Street, avoid Centre and Second Streets and their surrounding areas, avoid most blocks between West State Street/Bellevue Ave./Stuyvesant Ave., and avoid Nottingham Way (Nottingham Way is lovely in Hamilton, dangerous in Trenton). Consider the block you are looking at - are there boarded up houses? (that's bad) is there litter strewn about? (another bad sign) is the lawn/porch steps clean and neat? (good sign) what is the noise level at different times of the day? Many good people who do well live in Trenton but they do not decorate or fix up the outside of their homes whatsoever - no need to attract unwanted attention! But homefronts should be neat and clean. Those who take pride in where they live keep their front lawns and stairs clean. You will not see broken windows or trash lying about.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:19 PM

OH and avoid Martin Luther King Boulevard and the blocks between it and Princeton Avenue.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 AM

7 posts, read 25,093 times
Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001
I've lived near Trenton and worked there for 3 years now and never would have thought there would be bears, but they have found 2 over the past year or so at a park in North Trenton and I believe the bears were removed. At any rate, the bears are the least of Trenton's problems. As for wildlife, all you are likely to see are squirrels, stray cats, pet dogs, and (unfortunately) roaches.
IMO Trenton is not a good place to live. There is a lot of crime, a lot of gang activity. Positives: cheap(er) housing, low traffic (most people take the bus), minor league baseball, concert arena. Trenton is working hard to improve the southern area that is right next to the Delaware River, but it has a long way to go. I work there and I like it. My husband grew up outside of Trenton and refuses to even work there; absolutely hates it. The job market is strong, lots of good state jobs + regular jobs. If you don't mind commuting, you can take the train to Philly or NYC for even higher paying jobs.
If you want to live in a town near Trenton, all of them are okay although I would avoid certain areas of Ewing, Lawrenceville, and Hamilton. The sections that border Trenton are bad; the sections farther from Trenton are good. Pennington, Hopewell, and Robbinsville (where I live), are extremely nice but housing is much more expensive. Yardville (technically a section of Hamilton) is a small town south of Trenton and often forgot about; housing there is more affordable and it is relatively peaceful there.
If you want to live in Trenton, I would recommend certain sections of Chambersburg, areas south of Rt. 33/Greenwood Ave, areas north of Parkside Ave., and West Trenton. Avoid the 4-5 blocks north of Rt. 33/Greenwood Ave, avoid anything near Perry Street, avoid Centre and Second Streets and their surrounding areas, avoid most blocks between West State Street/Bellevue Ave./Stuyvesant Ave., and avoid Nottingham Way (Nottingham Way is lovely in Hamilton, dangerous in Trenton). Consider the block you are looking at - are there boarded up houses? (that's bad) is there litter strewn about? (another bad sign) is the lawn/porch steps clean and neat? (good sign) what is the noise level at different times of the day? Many good people who do well live in Trenton but they do not decorate or fix up the outside of their homes whatsoever - no need to attract unwanted attention! But homefronts should be neat and clean. Those who take pride in where they live keep their front lawns and stairs clean. You will not see broken windows or trash lying about.

Thank you very much Christina0001 for all of your information about Trenton and where best it is to live in and around the Trenton area. Your knowledge speaks volumes about who you are and I truly appreciate all of what you've shared here in this forum!

Old 07-20-2006, 05:24 PM

No problem. I work there and my job is to visit low-income people that live in Mercer County so I spend a lot of time driving around Trenton!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:19 AM

421 posts, read 394,799 times
Default trenton

don't forget the prison...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey