U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 31,016 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We wanted your advice on which electrical upgrades to take from the builder on our new construction. Right now we are thinking of only taking recess lighting in the kitchen, and lighting wiring in the family room since it requires work with the roof.

All other rooms (other bedrooms, master bedroom, living room, study) we are planning to get the wiring for lighting done privately after the house is built. What is your advise regarding this? How much should this run us per room? Is it better to get all the rooms done with the builder?

Also what is your opinion regarding getting a motorized chandelier lift with key from the builder? It runs around a $1,500, and we are not going to have chandelier right away in the foyer. But I am not sure how difficult it is do such a thing after the house is built.

Appreciate any advice anyone can provide. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 PM

5,440 posts, read 15,846,634 times
how much are they (the builder) going to charge you to do the lighting while it is being built?

I think you will end up paying $100 per fixture (???) to have it installed afterwards.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Thanks for your reply. The builder is charging $75 without the lighing fixture. Does your price include the fixture?

Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 PM

5,440 posts, read 15,846,634 times
My price was a guess based on what I had a guy do, change out a few outlets and he was charging me like $60-75 per (although that was including the GFI outlets which are maybe $10 each?), so it would not include the fixture. The recessed cans aren't that expensive either though, maybe $5-10 each. I am just not sure if you would be able to save much by having someone come in after the fact, when it will be more difficult to run wires, etc. maybe get a quote from a local electrician?

Last edited by joe moving; 10-16-2009 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 16,674,017 times
After a house is completed any new wiring is considered old work for the purpose of pricing. I did this for forty years and I hated old work. Get it done by the electrician who is wiring your house now.
As far as the motorized chandelier. If the space above the ceiling is accessible you can install the lift at a future date but snaking the control wires is more difficult. If you want to wait ask the electrician to provide the power and control wiring now.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:36 AM

228 posts, read 1,127,541 times
I had recessed lighting put in in the kitchen. It was worth it. I also had the ceiling fans roughed in, in 5 rooms. That was totally worth it, since they wired a switch for the fan and one for the light.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,434,679 times
Anything that involves running wiring through the walls should be done by the builder, IMO. At $75/fixture, he's not gouging you, and it'll cost much more to have it done by a licensed electrician later, since he'll have to fish wiring through the finished walls. You're also likely to end up with drywall repairs to make, since it's not always possible to get a clean shot to the new fixture location without cutting the walls/ceilings open.

The chandelier lift is a waste of money, IMO, unless the chandelier will be 16+ feet off the floor. Anything less than that can easily be reached from a stepladder.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 44,484 times
Also have the electrician install a chase from the attic to the basement. This way any future wiring would be easy if needed.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 AM

Thanks everyone for their help. What do you mean by running a chase from the attick to the basement? I am not sure I understand this.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 AM

82 posts, read 288,023 times
I've spent a good amount of money on my new home construction recently, and I left the 'upgrades' to things that I thought were essential to do now (with one or two exceptions).

Attached are the upgrades. SP = light switch. I think the rest is self explanatory.

Your mileage might vary depending on whether the builder includes some things standard or not. For instance, the light above the kitchen sink, if you even want one, is it standard or not? For me, it was not and, hence, I had to add it since we wanted it.

Electrical Upgrades in New Construction-elect_upgrades.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey