Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times

Advertisements

Hillsborough is a nice town. And don't feel like you have to defend yourself about wanting a town of a certain demographic. Plenty of people come here saying what type of town they want in terms of ethnicity, etc and it's only when a white person says it that people get riled up. It's silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM

316 posts, read 942,870 times
Uh sorry Urban quest, but I don't know where you are getting your stats from. 32% white? Edison is more like 60% white. Check out any demographic stats web site on the web! Hillsborough is 75% white.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
Uh sorry Urban quest, but I don't know where you are getting your stats from. 32% white? Edison is more like 60% white. Check out any demographic stats web site on the web! Hillsborough is 75% white.
Can't go by 2000 census data anymore. Better to look at the demographics of the school district to get a more current idea...

District White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Native American Hawaiian Native, Two or More Races, Total

EDISON TWP 3987.0, 1203.0, 1202.0, 7191.0, 14.0, 17.0, ,13589

My number is actually higher because the school district on a whole is 29% white. I added private school kids to get the more accurate 32%. Even if you assume most of the white people in Edison are >40 years old. The discrepency is to much. 60% and 32%. Even New York City which is 35% white as a whole has school age demographics at 25% white and remember Edison is a suburb for raising children, unlike New York.

I guess it's great news for all the massive immigration, population growth lovers out there. Imagine what Edison will be like in 10 more years.

Last edited by UrbanQuest; 10-19-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 AM

10 posts, read 14,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njerzygrl View Post
Yes, we are in a highly populated Indian area. Seems like the past few years has seen a major transition.

My place is sold...considering the market, I got a decent price for my condo, and we want to get out while we still can.

We need to find someplace that is a decent commute between Trenton and Summit.

We really wanted to go down the Shore, but have had bad luck with the 2 offers we have put in. Just my opinion, but there is a lot of "crap" out there in our price range.

East Brunswick is not a consideration, the property taxes are too high.

We looked at Metuchen, but again very high property taxes, not a lot of inventory.
Edison, according to the American Community Survey, is 50.2% white, 35.2% Asian. And in 2000, just 9 years ago, the white % was 59.5%. As a resident of Edison and having gone through their school system from 1989-2002, I can tell you that then, the schools were excellent. Nowadays, I think the quality of education in Edison has significantly declined, but this is likely the case all over the state and the country thanks to watered-down curricula and standards.

For a comparison, Hillsborough, according to the same site, is 84.5% white & 8.4% Asian. More indicative of NJ as a whole.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 PM

I checked at least 5 different demographic tracking web sites. It has Edison anywhere from 55 - 63% white and 7-9% black. where are you getting this school data and which district are you referring to? edison has close to 100K people and your list has 13K!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I checked at least 5 different demographic tracking web sites. It has Edison anywhere from 55 - 63% white and 7-9% black. where are you getting this school data and which district are you referring to? edison has close to 100K people and your list has 13K!
Mikieguns,

That 13k is all the kids in the entire Edison school district. The school district is 29% white for the 2008-2009 school year(New Jersey Department of Education).

Search for Private Schools - Search Results

These are the private schools in Edison. You will see that quite a few of those private schools are <50% white. And alot of those kids in the jewish schools live in Lincoln Park.

In a matter of 10 years Edison will obviously mirror the demographics of the school age kids. 32% white. This of course does not take into account the thousands of Indians/Asians/Hispanics that are newly arrived for overseas who will take up residence. So in 10 years it should be about 25% white or so for the whole town.

That 80+ percentage number for Hillsborough is a fallacy. Old news. In just the two years I've been here, I've watched it change dramatically. 75% won't be so for long if these people keep arriving in droves. Kiss goodbuy our pristine farmland while their at it.

I don't think the focus is on if a whitey town has some minorities moving in as terrifying. It's more the culture of things. It's just here in Hillsborough we can live in a mainstream middleclass "American" town with land and good quality of life for "Americans". These people can act as proper as they want, community fracture is inevitable. The sad thing is that the amount of towns that are still this way all about to become the exception rather than the rule.

I saw it in California and it's disgusting in the larger picture. The people out there have already moved to the stage of complacency with sticking to their own and not really wanting to mix with others. Asians out there are absolutely in frenzy to snag any caucasian they can get to feel excepted. Even though they know of the stigma about the Asian-white fetish. It's obvious because as diverse as California is, Asians hunt for whites only (blacks and hispanics are literally ewwww). Kind of like the Germans where treating the jews in the beginning of the second world war. Whites don't give a **** about anything except keeping away from blacks and hispanics and if an Asian wants to lick their *******, coooool man..... And in all this, nobody challenges it, and if you do, your a pariah. If you like living in a bizarre cartoon, it's great. If you want normal American people, don't let the rest of the country turn out this way.

It wouldn't be so bad if I witnessed this behavior half the time I went out. It was every f'n time.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:48 AM

I guess I sort of get some of your points. but still, the stats you are looking at our only private schools. how about public schools where the majority of kids are? what do that demographics look like? And the stats I mentioned above are inclusive of everyone, kids and adults. I think those depict a more accurate portrayal of current Edison: approx: 55-60%% white, 7-10% black, and mostly asian are the rest.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I guess I sort of get some of your points. but still, the stats you are looking at our only private schools. how about public schools where the majority of kids are? what do that demographics look like? And the stats I mentioned above are inclusive of everyone, kids and adults. I think those depict a more accurate portrayal of current Edison: approx: 55-60%% white, 7-10% black, and mostly asian are the rest.
mikieguns,

Try this link. Click on Middlesex and then Edison, the info is right there. It's for the entire public school district of Edison.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/dat...9/district.htm

Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 AM

THANKS. ok, from a public school perspective, I see what your saying. 30% white, 9% black, 9% hispanic, but 53% asian. So if you only look at the kids, Asians dominate. It's more than I thought it was, but it is not necesarrily as terrible a trend as you think. Usually influxes of Asians actually do more good for the community / the schools. Unfortunately, the opposite seems to happen when it is an influx of blacks / hispanics. So while I understand your concern, Edison does not seem to be in too bad shape I'd say. It's not like the white population is getting smaller per say (look at the numbers across all the grade levels / ages). It's just that the Asian population is growing at the lower grade levels. Again, this typically tends to improve schools in the longer run, as these kids move up to higher levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey