Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 68,007 times

Advertisements

Trying to find a place to live for summer in JC, and based on what I've read, there's probably areas I want to avoid. What are the good and bad areas of JC? In particular, how's the area around lincoln park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 78,581 times
If you do not want to die live Downtown. I live in the Heights next to Union City and it is not so good. Stay away TOTALLY from Greenville and Journal Square.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 PM

209 posts, read 1,680,879 times
You will probably want to be in downtown JC for a number of reasons (safer, a bit more to do, generally better connections to Manhattan). However, keep in mind rent in most areas of downtown is not cheap and is beginning to approach Hoboken levels (and rents in Hoboken and downtown JC are rising rather quickly along with rents in Manhattan).

Stay east of the Turnpike and you'll generally be fine--however, the areas right by the Turnpike aren't all that great either. Look in the historic areas (Van Vorst Park, Hamilton Park), Harsimus Cove (the are between the two historic areas), and anywhere east of Marin and you'll be fine.

That said, with the exception of Greenville most areas of JC are relatively safe--not perfect by any means but generally okay. However, things can vary a lot block by block in areas such as the Heights and Journal Square.

Try to avoid Greenville, though--although there are a few good areas around Lincoln Park the area is still very rough.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 68,007 times
thanks for the response.

sigh, it's seems so hard to find a place. are there any apartment communities that charges month by month?

Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 46,664 times
Default Hi there, Im also moving possibly to JC

Have you heard anything about Journal Square? Please let me know, it would help me a lot. Thanks

Old 05-15-2007, 10:51 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,919,363 times
Journal square is an o.k. area. I would say parts of it are just o.k. and parts of it not so great especially for a female. I lived there, worked nights in the city and survived it but it would not have been my first choice. If you are not out and about at night too much and you can find a place close to the train you might be fine. You can still save $$ there and that alone may make it worthwhile for you. There were no luxury type apartments there 10 years ago but I have read here on city-data that there may be a few soon and they would be much less expensive than any in other neighborhoods close to the PATH.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:24 PM

467 posts, read 1,484,747 times
Born and raised in J.C....Can I ask why in the world you would want to rent
in J.C. for the summer? the worst possible time of year when all the "crazies"
come out....Except for downtown now, trendy, etc....there is not really any
decent neighborhoods left....but's that my opinion.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 61,243 times
stay out you will die or shot or stolen

Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 61,243 times
go to new york jersey city is not safe take my words im a boy and 12 years old i play with gangsters and some times get hert.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:34 PM

80 posts, read 218,792 times
David honey, go home, do your homework & stop playing with the gangsters or your mamma's gonna hurt you when she sees your stank writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey