U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,395,690 times

Advertisements

As to which counties will be voting against New Jersey, I predict Hudson, Essex, Union, Bergen, Camden, Atlantic, Middlesex, and possibly Mercer

For Christie, I predict Warren, Hunterdon, Sussex, Morris, Somerset, Monmouth, Ocean, Cape May, and possibly Passaic.

Not certain about Salem, Burlington, Gloucester, and Cumberland, as I’m not familiar enough with the politics/demographics, so I won’t speculate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 AM

10 posts, read 13,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
As to which counties will be voting against New Jersey, I predict Hudson, Essex, Union, Bergen, Camden, Atlantic, Middlesex, and possibly Mercer

For Christie, I predict Warren, Hunterdon, Sussex, Morris, Somerset, Monmouth, Ocean, Cape May, and possibly Passaic.

Not certain about Salem, Burlington, Gloucester, and Cumberland, as I’m not familiar enough with the politics/demographics, so I won’t speculate.
Count on the following:

Definitely Christie: Sussex, Warren, Morris, Hunterdon, Monmouth, Ocean, & Cape May

Probably Christie: Somerset, Salem, & Gloucester (Salem and Gloucester are predominantly blue-collar white)

Probably Corzine: Mercer, Passaic (bear in mind the majority here is Paterson, Clifton, and Passaic), Atlantic, Cumberland (predominantly blue-collar and the poorest county in the state), Bergen, & Burlington

Definitely Corzine: Camden, Union, Essex, Middlesex, & Hudson

Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolfschmidt View Post
Count on the following:

Definitely Christie: Sussex, Warren, Morris, Hunterdon, Monmouth, Ocean, & Cape May

Probably Christie: Somerset, Salem, & Gloucester (Salem and Gloucester are predominantly blue-collar white)

Probably Corzine: Mercer, Passaic (bear in mind the majority here is Paterson, Clifton, and Passaic), Atlantic, Cumberland (predominantly blue-collar and the poorest county in the state), Bergen, & Burlington

You may be right about Passaic. When I examine Passaic though, it truly is a divided county because of the semi-rural northern towns which dominate a large portion of the county, such as Ringwood and West Milford.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,176,800 times
Quote:
No, those counties will be voting FOR New Jersey, RELUCTANTGardenStater...

Quote:
So these are the counties voting against NJ and in favor of obesity.

Quote:
Well, maybe if you were enthusiastic about being a Garden Stater instead of Reluctantly being one you'd know more about the demographics. Why be a Garden Stater if you're so reluctant? Find a better state that doesn't have libs taxing you and the middle class out and go live there. Be an enthusiastic Volunteer Stater, it's better than being a Reluctant anything stater.

Or is it possible that you're not REALLY a very reluctant Garden Stater but must spread doom & gloom until you can get your next Christie Whitman into office??? Hmmm....

Old 10-21-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
No, those counties will be voting FOR New Jersey, RELUCTANTGardenStater...
I suppose, if you consider the interests of NJ an equivalent to the interests of the corrupt windbags running the Trenton political machine and the unions...

Quote:
So these are the counties voting against NJ and in favor of obesity.
Are you serious? You're going to devalue a political candidate because he's overweight? At least Christie isn't a hypocrite, unlike your man Corzine, Mr. Click it or Ticket, who almost died after doing 90 on the Parkway without a seatbelt. You don't have a leg to stand on (Unfortunate that Jon still does)

Quote:
Well, maybe if you were enthusiastic about being a Garden Stater instead of Reluctantly being one you'd know more about the demographics. Why be a Garden Stater if you're so reluctant? Find a better state that doesn't have libs taxing you and the middle class out and go live there. Be an enthusiastic Volunteer Stater, it's better than being a Reluctant anything stater.

Or is it possible that you're not REALLY a very reluctant Garden Stater but must spread doom & gloom until you can get your next Christie Whitman into office??? Hmmm....
What ignorant babble. You talk about moving around as if it's as simple as driving to the bank. Nevermind the difficulty of selling property or job hunting. Nevermind ties with family and friends. Johnny says it's easy, so it just must be!

Why be a Garden Stater? I was raised here, went to school here, work here, and have the majority of my family and friends here. If it puts your mind at ease, I won't be here forever, but that doesn't mean I'm leaving tomorrow. There are still many things I love about this state, which makes it all the more worth fighting for. Rogue counties such as Bergen make this difficult.

Interesting that you bring up Tennessee. Lovely state. Eventually I would like to move down South - I've been debating areas from East Tennessee to Mobile, AL, but again, moving is not as easy as buying a meal. Don't make assumptions about a situation you know next to nothing about.

Incidentally, it's quite humorous that you attempt to portray me as some type of partisan Republican. My political views are complex and range from nationalism on certain issues to social libertarianism. I don't give a fig about the GOP. However, I've seen enough of Democratic rule in NJ, and its endless blunders in everything from economic management to criminal justice, to social policy.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:43 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,507,572 times
I mean this question in all sincerity, and I really haven't found a good answer online that doesn't seem to be colored by partisanship. BCJ and maybe reluctant know I recently moved here. Wasn't it Christine Whitman who shifted most of the tax burden on to property taxes, which are regressive, as opposed to income taxes, which are progressive? (These terms are not politically tinged in this usage. Regressive taxes are those that burden those at the lower end of the whole income spectrum, while progressive ones are those that pose a larger burden on those that can afford to pay them. The sales tax is the ultimate regressive tax, because they adversely affect spenders as opposed to savers. Those with lower incomes are the ones who spend all their paychecks).

I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand why people seem to blame rising taxes--property ones in particular--on dems. There's probably some NJ specific context I'm missing. I do know that politicians here are in the main corrupt. The closest I've been to machine party politics is when I lived within a few hours of Chicago. Otherwise, I've lived in the one reliably liberal town in Texas--how you vote there doesn't really matter because the overall state is so red. I've also lived in or near Minneapolis/St. Paul, but that doesn't seem to have the same problems as the NE in terms of machine party politics. In MN, for example, the Democratic party is called the DFL--Democratic Farmers and Laborers. In the Progressive era, there was a somewhat singular coalition between urban unions and rural farmers--that's the historical connection the name reflects.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 AM

13,173 posts, read 26,633,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolfschmidt View Post
Count on the following:

No suprise there as they are the biggest welfare counties in the state

Old 10-22-2009, 08:57 AM

136 posts, read 688,111 times
Middlesex is a welfare county? How incredibly arroagant (and incorrect0 to make an assumption like that, Katerine.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,703,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand why people seem to blame rising taxes--property ones in particular--on dems. There's probably some NJ specific context I'm missing. I do know that politicians here are in the main corrupt.
There are several reasons why property taxes in the state are so high, and they can all be attributed to Democrats.

1. Abbott decision: The Abbott decision has meant that billions in state dollars that could have been distributed equally to local school districts (as is done in most states) has had to be distributed to the urban areas. If state aid was distributed equally, as it is done most everywhere else, property taxes would most likely be halved. Why blame Demorcats? Simple: The Democrats have packed the Supreme Court with extremely liberal, activist judges who have given us decisions like this. And what's worse is that instead of using the legislative process to amend the state constitution to nullify these rulings, the Democrat-controlled legislature has applauded these despicable decisions and have used it to solidify their urban base, suburban and middle class taxpayers be damned.

2. Unions: Unions aren't necessarily bad. But when they get greedy, they destroy everything in their paths. We've seen it with the automakers, and now we're seeing it with the state. Only problem is that while the automakers just failed and got a bailout, on a state level we taxpayers have to foot the bill no matter what. We all know the details: state employees refusing to pay anything into their healthcare, state-funded pensions until you die instead of a 401K. The Democrats, because they are funded and supported by the unions, refuse to even consider taking them on - once again, taxpayers be damned as long as they can get their votes.

Now, I'm not saying Republicans are the answer. We've had a few of them without a lot of progress made over the years. Lonegan would have taken them on, but the NJ GOP was too impotent to take a chance on someone who would really shake things up. So we have Christie. At this point, we have to get this corruption-ridden Democrat machine out of office. If you're not a public employee or an extremely low-income urban dweller receiving government social services, the Democrats are NOT good for YOU. Bank on it - literally.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:30 AM

377 posts, read 1,042,322 times
I am so glad I moved to De. and can't even vote in this election. No more of those high property taxes. Keep in mind at least you don't have Florio. Don't get me wrong I only moved to De. because politicians would not fight to keep Ft. Monmouth open, but that is a different argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey