Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
Look into pse&g worry free program as another option. Paying 100 a call especially for minor issues that cost less than 100 is tough to swallow.
Actually, I saw in the contract that if a repair costs less than $100, than that is the amount due. Pretty good deal I suppose.

Thanks everyone for the feedback & input.

I think we are going to shop around some other warranty programs before going with the one Weichert offers... maybe check out the PSE&G one. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,986 times
You can search this forum for this topic but I will repeat my experience.

I purchased this for a home I was selling as part of my mothers estate. It covered the house before the sale and 1 year after. My agent convinced my brothers that this was a good idea. She gets nothing from selling it and she has it on her house and it's great. OK, what I think is that RE's get special treatment from the insurance companies (even if the RE's don't know they are) because of who they are...like the way travel agents used to get special treatment when they travelled.

So before buying I read everything and thought I was pretty clear. Then a pipe in a sink leaked. I called. Took a day off of work. The guy showed up and said that the part of the sink that was leaking wasn't covered. Sure enough in the fine print this little item was there. Then they wanted the $50 to make the call-the RE paid for it.

After that I took a closer look at the warranty. Ours didn't cover a new furnace or a hot water heater if it was still under warranty (many are pro-rated and the labor isn't included but the insurance didn't cover the difference). Pre-existing wasn't included. So a pipe that bursts because of corosion wouldn't be covered (had that happen a few years earlier).

Items would be fixed until they were deemed unrepairable. So if they can keep your dryer running by replacing parts every month that's what they'll do. You take a day off and pay the deductible each time.

OK, you get the picture, I'm not a fan. HOWEVER, someone mentioned the PSE&G Worry Free Program. My mom had this for a few years and found it to be excellent. It covered the furnace, dryer and oven. They never replaced any of them but did manage to show up the day before Thanksgiving to fix the oven!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
You can search this forum for this topic but I will repeat my experience.

I purchased this for a home I was selling as part of my mothers estate. It covered the house before the sale and 1 year after. My agent convinced my brothers that this was a good idea. She gets nothing from selling it and she has it on her house and it's great. OK, what I think is that RE's get special treatment from the insurance companies (even if the RE's don't know they are) because of who they are...like the way travel agents used to get special treatment when they travelled.

So before buying I read everything and thought I was pretty clear. Then a pipe in a sink leaked. I called. Took a day off of work. The guy showed up and said that the part of the sink that was leaking wasn't covered. Sure enough in the fine print this little item was there. Then they wanted the $50 to make the call-the RE paid for it.

After that I took a closer look at the warranty. Ours didn't cover a new furnace or a hot water heater if it was still under warranty (many are pro-rated and the labor isn't included but the insurance didn't cover the difference). Pre-existing wasn't included. So a pipe that bursts because of corosion wouldn't be covered (had that happen a few years earlier).

Items would be fixed until they were deemed unrepairable. So if they can keep your dryer running by replacing parts every month that's what they'll do. You take a day off and pay the deductible each time.

OK, you get the picture, I'm not a fan. HOWEVER, someone mentioned the PSE&G Worry Free Program. My mom had this for a few years and found it to be excellent. It covered the furnace, dryer and oven. They never replaced any of them but did manage to show up the day before Thanksgiving to fix the oven!
Wow thats crazy... thanks for sharing.
Was this the Weichert package you had or something else?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
I have AHS. There's a class action suit against them (for not paying for repairs.) They have several levels of coverage. Make sure you understand exactly what's covered and what isn't. I called them for a pumbing issue and had to pay the service fee of $60 only to find out the problem wasn't covered. They "kindly" offered to fix it for $1300. I had my plumber come out and he did the job for $700.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:10 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
First, I am a Weichert agent, if that matters to you. I do not get paid or receicve any benefit for selling or promoting the home warranty. The warranty is good for piece of mind on these major issues. Make sure you take a good look so you understand what is covered and what is not. You may choose to pay a little more to be covere some non standard items. Call them up, they get in touch with a local company to do the repair. (That can be very helpful if you don't have any experience with a particular type of issue,and no friends to refer a good one.) You pay either the repair fee or the deductable, whichever is lower. If the work isn't done right, and the problem persists, just call the warranty company again and they send the guys back to complete it at no more cost to you.

I bought the warranty when I bought my current house, five years ago, and have renewed it every year. Of course, the renewals are where the company makes their money, as the rate has gone up every year.
I bought it for the people buying my home. I never wanted to hear from them ever again! It was worth my piece of mind. It was the Weichert one because they are who listed my home.
My Realtor was a Professional, and worked very hard.

Diane G

Old 10-21-2009, 09:23 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,314 times
To my knowledge Weichert does not service the warranty that they promote, they use a 3rd party company probably AHS.
some more info http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...Guarantee.aspx

Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
To my knowledge Weichert does not service the warranty that they promote, they use a 3rd party company probably AHS.
some more info A home warranty is no guarantee - MSN Money
You are correct, though Weichert slaps their name all over it, it is not actualy them doing the servicing. But it is not AHS either. It is a company called HMS.

I also think its funny my realtor swears "she does not get any money or kick backs from us getting the package", yet there is a spot on the application for me to fill in her name & information. Wonder why...

Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
You are correct, though Weichert slaps their name all over it, it is not actualy them doing the servicing. But it is not AHS either. It is a company called HMS.

I also think its funny my realtor swears "she does not get any money or kick backs from us getting the package", yet there is a spot on the application for me to fill in her name & information. Wonder why...
Because teh warranty company does offer to compensate agents for selling the warranty. Weichert agents do not get any of that.

Actually, I should clarify. Weichert agents in the Weichert corporate owned offices do not get any of that. There are now Weichert Franchised offices, and I can't speak for thier policies or arrangements.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
we have the PS&G worry free warranty on everything in our house but be aware, its a repair plan NOT a replacement plan. If an item cannot be repaired or a part in the item is not in the replacement program they will not pay for a replacement. That's on you.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
warranties are generally a scam. they are high profit items that you will rarely need, and when you do need them they will rarely benefit you. thats why they always push the warranties on you in the stores and you get these weird warranty offers for your car in the mail.
As a clarification:

Third party warranties are a scam.

Manufacturer or credit card warranty extensions - different ballpark.

I have extended warranties on both my wife's and my own car. My wife's car warranty has paid for itself in less than 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey