Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
i'm yet another person who despises wal-mart. i've only been to the store a handful of times, primarily when i was on vacation in a rural area such as maine and needed to pick up some toiletries or electronic accessories (e.g. memory stick for my camera, portable cell phone charger, etc). based on those experiences - not to mention a disdain for their labor practices - i don't have any desire to shop at their stores again unless it's an emergency.

i have actually been to the bergen county wal-mart that bcjohnny referred to in his opening post. that location, on rt. 46 west in saddle brook (not lodi, but close to the border of that town), is indeed horribly congested, hectic, and filled with the trashiest of customers - just like the out-of-state wal-marts i've visited. it was a miserable experience, and i have not returned since.

as i recall, wal-mart had been trying for years to open a location along rt. 4 or rt. 17 in paramus, but the town repeatedly told them to get lost. finally, they began to look at other towns, and saddle brook was more than happy to let them set up shop in a non-descript shopping center on rt. 46. that's because the longtime anchor tenant of that strip mall, bradlees, had just gone out of business, and so the town was desperate to fill the void in their tax base. plus, anytime a strip mall loses a big box retailer, the smaller, ancillary retail stores begin to suffer, too, which brings down the viability of the entire shopping center.

so while i can't entirely blame the town of saddle brook for allowing wal-mart into their town, i hope that's the only one that opens up in bergen county. i guess the consumers of the region will determine if that happens. i did notice that they have a few locations just over the county line in secaucus, kearny, and suffern, so hopefully the company is satisfied that it has sufficiently saturated the northeast jersey market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:44 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,814 times
I've been to the Walmart in Clinton twice years ago. The first time was because I had never been to one and wanted to check it out plus I needed a few household items. Of the four items I purchased, three bit the dust in less than two weeks. Hence my second and last time trip was to return them for a refund. Never again and that was before I started reading about all the class action suits by their employees and the impact the Walmart culture has on small towns. Don't remember much about the people there but I do remember the feral children running amok with no parent in sight.

However, I do love Target - they have much better quality merchandise and their stores are clean.
As others have said, you can find better quality and prices elsewhere.

They just built a new store in Flemington on the grounds of the historic old fairgrounds and flemington speedway. It was a beautiful tract of woodlands now it is a huge parking lot with 3 anchor stores and countless empty professional buildings. I sincerely hope the store tanks.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM

341 posts, read 678,614 times
[quote=VeradoDan;11368169]
Quote:
plus a decent illegal alien contingent toting one-too-many kids in the shopping carts.

How can you know what an individual's immigration status is just by looking at them?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM

370 posts, read 1,369,737 times
I shop at Target all the time but I checked out the Wallmart in Saddlebrook once and after 2 minutes I turned and walked out. There is a lot more junk there and the name brand stuff had regular prices or was even higher than other places.
I will never go back.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
[quote=El Dakar;11382814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post

How can you know what an individual's immigration status is just by looking at them?

They wore signs.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:51 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hey Mike...I may have to grab a small camera & head to the local Walmart and see if I can get a photo for the contest..heheheheheh
But wait, Kate, there's more!

What are you wearing sexy?†-Cowboy boots. “Ya that’s hot.†– Pink velour pants. “Ya I like that.†– a little green baby girl hoodie. “Oh damn, that sounds sexy.†– and I kinda look like Gallagher. “Oh ya…wait…what?â€
Oklahoma

I am speechless.
Utah

Am I the only one waiting for Joe Pesci to start going at this thing in the trunk with a kitchen knife?
Wisconsin

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
OMG...the Walmart near me is in Rockaway so it serves Dover as well
Hey this could be really funny
Do these people EVER glance in a mirror..maybe a magic mirror like on Romper Room...lol shows them what they want to see

Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
The sad ones are the ones that do not know. The others do it on purpose.

That shrt/butt misfit is just astounding. I mean, that CAN'T be comfortable! I can understand dressing in complete slouch (the Pink and Green Gallagher), but the shorts make no sense.

As for Ms. "behind"... the difficulty would be, in the dark, or with a paper bag over her head, how could you tell?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
, and it attracts the veru bottom of the social shelf..
And who might they be? I need someone new to look down upon.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:53 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
I'd much rather see "those kind of people" at Walmart than in my neighborhood. Or worse, in my church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey